It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALERT Magnitude: 7.7 West Coast of Canada

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

If you care to explain your theory I'm more than willing to listen, but we are arguing over a very vast area, and though the plates themselves cover this expanse the current activity is a long way from the areas you have mentioned, suggestion tension released to the north is related to activity in the south is beyond me.
reply to post by miner49r

Theory? ... ok I will toss one out there.

I tune in into PNSN.org on a semi regular basis and have noticed over the past there has been alot of activity offshore of Oregon off and on now for the past two years or so. So in a nut shell I would point my finger at the CSZ for transferring load to the Queen Charlotte. I am not surprised Charlotte happened...with the pattern I have seen I have been saying it is our turn soon.

I have watched over the years and have noticed a pattern that the large EQ's move counter clock wise around the ring of fire. With So. Cal. and Mexico having so much activity ...then seeing the mild activity offshore in Ore. I am not surprised that Queen Charlotte happened.

My only concern is, if the CSZ did transfer the load to Charlotte...then how loaded is the CSZ and how locked it is it....and how much more can it take.

Edit:...That's just a theory. I wish I could go back and track the very large ones for date, location, and substantiate the counter clock wise theory.
edit on 28-10-2012 by miner49r because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Please can someone explain to me why this topic is so hot. I don't get it at all, it's an earthquake. It doesn't seem to have done much damage. I'm glad people are interested but number 1?????? for over 24 hours or thereabouts???

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx

Originally posted by AlexanderM
Not true, the most recent research has concluded the Cascadia and San Adreas are connected and are part of the same fault. Just google "Monster Quake, Are We There Yet" watch the program and see. They found where the faults connect.

Soooooooooooooooo, wiki is lying? Not the first time I've heard that, but okay. The two faults are different all together. San andreas is a slip strike. Cascadia is most known for it's subduction zone. Two different instances all together, producing different kinds of activity.

The two faults are connected, of this there is no doubt. If you watch the program referenced above you will see that, not only are they connected, but the scientist say that of the past 17 or so major events, they can't tell them apart, in time, as they go together, most of the time. I will take the word of the many scientists in the program.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

People are concerned about whether or not the 7.7 is a precursor to a larger earthquake/event. Some of the concern is over the fault lines that run all along the West Coast from Alaska to California.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I think there are a number of us in the Pacific Northwest who have had our eye on this for a while now and have come here to discuss it.

The better question is .... Why has no other topic trumped it??

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Monkey are you still watching those maps??....

2nd

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by miner49r
Monkey are you still watching those maps??....

2nd
i think monkey went to bed lol... i'm sure the aftershocks will continue for a long while.. the question is where will the next big one hit?
what ever happened to edgar cayce's prediction that southern cali would float away into the ocean.. wasn't that supposed to happen by now? hahaha

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Somebody called?? I heard the magic word, Aquarius!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Actually I'm rampaging the country side of Skyrim as a werewolf.

Perhaps, on occasion, I have checked the maps.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by gnosticagnostic

I agree.. that is the million dollar question. Where will the next one will be. All we can do is sit by and wait and see. Being prepared to either bug out if it is tsunami or shelter in place and be prepared is the only answer.

I am not really alarmed or freaked out by this, but I will be shaking out some supplies, getting propane, filling gas cans, ect. just in case. You just never know, ..it's just best to be prepared.

Perhaps a thread on preparedness may help some folks...dunno.

Could we get so lucky with California?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by miner49r
reply to post by gnosticagnostic

Could we get so lucky with California?

i know right.. think of all those poor celebrities! sorry couldn't resist..
it's always good to be prepared.. expect the worst is my motto.. you never know

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Well I am off to bed. I will check back here in the morning to see what shakin'

Good night all

sorry ... couldn't resist either

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by miner49r

You hyped for the activity to clear. Im going out high grading. Always have good luck in a few places ALL along the west coast prospecting... Cant wait to fill another dozen vials. Happy prospecting brother man

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by FyreByrd
Please can someone explain to me why this topic is so hot. I don't get it at all, it's an earthquake. It doesn't seem to have done much damage. I'm glad people are interested but number 1?????? for over 24 hours or thereabouts???

Perhaps it's because it's a pretty big quake, along the coast, which a lot of people have been keeping a very close eye on...

I moved to Vancouver a year ago.. around the same time I created an account on ATS, and then thought "what the f**k was I thinking!!" and moved back home to cozy Alberta...
edit on 29-10-2012 by SalientSkivvy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Simply put, it's building up.

That's my reason why I keep an eye on the maps.

And I'm sure others would like to see the signs of something coming up.
edit on 29-10-2012 by Soulece because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
things are begining to happen

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
So did anyone in BC affected by the quake take part in this a week and a half ago?

www.shakeoutbc.ca...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
reply to post by detachedindividual

While I agree with the sentiment of your post, please go to the link I provided in my earlier post (maybe 6 above yours urbansurvival.com...) and look at the trending of 7+ earthquake frequencies in the chart a lttle ways down the page. That IS historical data (going back to 1973) and there is no question that stronger quakes are trending up. Tony posts a second chart (not on the page linked) that shows a correlated trend of smaller quakes tredning in the opposite direction. Not fear-mongering but there is absolutely no question that something is changing.

First of all, is there a source that is valid, unbiased and not trying to sell survival products? I am willing to read any data, but I will not blindly trust a blogger who has a vested interest in trying to scare people into buying things (I'm in the online sales business, I am well aware of the sales methods of people like this, and Alex Jones etc)

Also, EQ activity trending up does not equate to there being more powerful quakes after a 7. I would not disagree that scientific data suggests that geological activity is on the increase, but I haven't seen any evidence that the pattern of EQ activity for specific regions and events have changed.

The rate of EQ activity is a completely different subject to that of assuming that mag 7 quakes are more often a precursor to larger quakes. How many times has that happened in the previous decade? I'll bet there is only one example, and that will be the Japanese 9 quake. If there are more examples, I would like to see them.

You also have to ask what the time window is. Will a 7 quake now, and an 8 quake in a years time be used as "evidence" that larger quakes are increasingly following an initial one? When do you reset the clock, after a week, a month, a year, a decade?

In all honesty there is just no evidence to suggest that a larger quake will follow this 7.7. It could happen, but I think - using actual science and the laws of probability - it is MORE LIKELY that there will be a series of after shocks all the same of lower than the original 7.7.

But, once again, plenty of people here seemingly wish for more drama and excitement, and they will actively encourage wild speculation and scaremongering in order to get their little kicks, all while ignoring the actual science and data that shows what they wish for is unlikely.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by FyreByrd

It's because there was a tsunami warning, and all these amateur's are trying to convince themselves that there will be a 9. something, a huge Tsunami, or that the Big One will hit California. There are plenty here who saw the one in Japan be repeated with the devastating 9, and now they're all convinced that this is to be expected (wishful thinking for a lot of them).

Anything is possible of course, but in all likelihood this event will become nothing more than another Yellowstone party with people "predicting" and almost praying for a larger catastrophe that won't come. Then it'll die down and all go back to sleep, until the next EQ on the West of the US when they'll all be back preaching the End of Days.

I think we all agree that the San Andreas is overdue, and we know that it's likely to be a big one when it goes. But there is a lot of activity in the region, and if the 9 in Japan didn't set of San Andreas, and a 7 in Canada didn't, I don't think it's a simple as saying any shaking near that region is "likely" to cause anything in the next couple of days.

In all honesty, the psychology of ATS members is often far more interesting than the EQ's themselves. It's remarkable to see people making such leaps of judgement and ignoring science and data in favour of almost wishing for a natural disaster, all while adding the caveat of "I hope I'm wrong". They don't hope they're wrong at all, they hope they get the chance to watch dramatic scenes of natural disaster on their TV screens - it's Human nature, it's messy, but it's fact.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Um, someone mentioned in this thread about earthquakes going across the US, then retracted saying they made a mistake. I can't find the post now.

Take a look at this?

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

4.2 California 9 hrs ago
3.4 Arizona 5 hrs ago
3.9 Arkansas 1 hr ago
2.9 North Carolina almost 2 hrs ago

Sorry this isn't about the Canada quakes, but quakes are littering across the US now.

ETA

I don't know much about earthquakes so I don't know if this means anything. People were talking about the depth in the Canadian earthquakes being similar.

4.2 California 9 km
3.4 Arizona 4.8 km
3.9 Arkansas 5 km
2.9 North Carolina 5.1 km

edit on 29-10-2012 by tport17 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join