It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALERT Magnitude: 7.7 West Coast of Canada

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by prophetboy12
reply to post by mark1167

These are not after shocks. This major movement is foreshocks. I have never seen so many eqs over 4 and over 5 in a 24 hr period.

Ya as i said earlyer 90 % chance of a 8 to 9 if this keep up
way to much movememt this is not good.
edit on 28-10-2012 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

link   
Why are the quakes there so shallow compared to the rest of the world?

a quick look shows these quakes anywhere from 8.2km to 47km deep yet in other parts of the world they are hundreds of km deep

what kinds of implications does a shallow quake have over the deeper ones?

link   
I just installed the earthquake app for firefox about 20 mins ago, about 2 mins ago my screen shook a lot but no message popped up telling me where the earthquake was.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

Trillium, are these earthquakes following a similar pattern to what was seen in japan before the 9.0?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
Why are the quakes there so shallow compared to the rest of the world?

a quick look shows these quakes anywhere from 8.2km to 47km deep yet in other parts of the world they are hundreds of km deep

what kinds of implications does a shallow quake have over the deeper ones?

I could be wrong here but
I remember reading the more shallow the quake is the more damage there is most time

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I could be wrong here but I remember reading the more shallow the quake is the more damage there is most time

Yes that is correct, the shallower the quake the more it is propagated on the surface and the more damage it causes.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MonkeyFishFrog

Trillium, are these earthquakes following a similar pattern to what was seen in japan before the 9.0?

I'm just getting my feet wet with Earthquake was not into it when Japan happen just a onlooker
I got started because of all the quake disappearing in canada ( maybe hiding meteor hit )

Sorry

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

No worries. I am referring back to my textbook right now from my Geo class last year but is only so helpful when trying to apply it to real world events. I found the Japan Quake Map which has been helpful... there are similarities but lots of differences between the two events which has me a little relieved and optimistic that the 7.7 might have been the "big one" for this event.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
shallow quakes are not felt as far also....

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

No worries. I am referring back to my textbook right now from my Geo class last year but is only so helpful when trying to apply it to real world events. I found the Japan Quake Map which has been helpful... there are similarities but lots of differences between the two events which has me a little relieved and optimistic that the 7.7 might have been the "big one" for this event.

I would tend to agree.

From what I read this is a strike slip event, Japan was a Subduction event. The interesting thing is the aftershocks are seemingly increasing in size up this point. I am thinking it is settling in.

The question in my mind is now does this affect the Cascadia Subduction Zone. Could this be a loading event or a stress reliever.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

so you are basing that you believe that the quakes are similar to japans because you took a geo class last year.

You dont show any data and then you drop that bomb that you are young with no experience.

I have been studying quakes for years as part of my career and I can assure you that quakes follow quakes but nearly everytime after a big one they get smaller. Until the next shift

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by THEDUDE86

No, I'm taking everything I'm reading on the internet from expert testimonies and news reporters and people on the thread here and when I don't understand a concept or can't remember something I refer back to my textbook so I'm not completely ignorant to what is being said. By no means am I claiming to be an expert in this field. That hasn't stopped me from having my bags and supplies ready to go because what I have no clue or idea on is whether or not the strike-slip earthquakes in Haida Gwai and the aftershocks on the QCF will affect or trigger the Cascadia Subduction Zone.

Edited to add: 4.5 at 80kms 45 minutes ago.
edit on 10/28/2012 by MonkeyFishFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
My parents living on the north tip of Vancouver Island felt it too. My facebook feed exploded.

Just hope all of these aftershocks aren't somehow irritating the CSZ. Quite a few of them.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
ok i admit i'm earthquake stupid.. all these earthquakes look to be around the same depth but the last one was 47.2 km down instead of the around usual 10.. what does that mean...?? more shifting to happen up top?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Is it weird now that there HASN'T been ANY earthquakes anywhere for like an hour or more?

or I cant find them on the map i'm looking at least

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosticagnostic

I am not an expert, but the deeper shifting indicates that the plate is beginning to to settle in along it's vertical axis at its lower levels. With all the shallow movement we have seen it stands to reason that the deeper sections of the plate will need to adjust to fit it's news position.

I don't think this is indicative of more shallow events to occur. It stands to reason that with the amount of horizontal movement we have seen in the strike slip event, there will indeed be more aftershocks in the shallower regions.

At this point I will say what is on everyones mind... Could this be a foreshock event? The honest answer is I don't think anyone has a scientific answer to that. If this event follows suit with most other events then it will gradually begin to settle into place. Although with the new movement it is at best a wild guess and pop-shot as to how this will effect the Cascadia Subduction Zone and the new loads or the release of loading.

The only real and best answer is to be prepared for such an event (CSZ) should it occur.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Maybe because someone busted their backside, so they called off their Haarp. And their spellcasting nonsense is over, trying to set NYC up for a big NWO promoting disater, like I just posted in my new thread.

I imagine they know more are going to be waking up to how they do things and topple their hacking the matrix.

So the more awake, the less earthquakes IMO.

10 27 2012 has 9/11 and 3 21's or 777's, which is tied into both 9/11 and appollyon their dark king, or Snake. Its a very coded date, in the straight of Hectate, an greek goddess that resembles the statue of liberty and therefore is their hacking spell casting associations.

So, I see haarp, and a bigger picture of what they're doing here.

And the more start to see the corrupt dark magician types in earth leadership positions, the less earthquakes we will experience.
edit on 28-10-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Here's little refreshner in this serious moments...
ATT: turn your volume down

edit on 28-10-2012 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

... yep!

We live in a small community where they still blow the fire whistles whenever the fire dept. gets a call out. Our two dogs and about half the neighborhood's dogs sing out too.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by miner49r
reply to post by gnosticagnostic

I am not an expert, but the deeper shifting indicates that the plate is beginning to to settle in along it's vertical axis at its lower levels. With all the shallow movement we have seen it stands to reason that the deeper sections of the plate will need to adjust to fit it's news position.

I don't think this is indicative of more shallow events to occur. It stands to reason that with the amount of horizontal movement we have seen in the strike slip event, there will indeed be more aftershocks in the shallower regions.

At this point I will say what is on everyones mind... Could this be a foreshock event? The honest answer is I don't think anyone has a scientific answer to that. If this event follows suit with most other events then it will gradually begin to settle into place. Although with the new movement it is at best a wild guess and pop-shot as to how this will effect the Cascadia Subduction Zone and the new loads or the release of loading.

The only real and best answer is to be prepared for such an event (CSZ) should it occur.

ok what happens if it triggers the CSZ zone.. not that i live anywhere near there.. which is why i have no idea.. lol

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join