It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I hope you've prepared - Sandy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by tekeen
I was born in florida myself and went through a cane and it will put the fear in you for sure.

More so than any gov or terror junky.
Be serious. I can't remember all of the hurricanes I have been through. This was only a cat 1. Just don't do anything stupid and you really have nothing to be afraid of. Heck, I was out working in the third hurricane of 2004(Jeane iirc). Charley put us without power for a few days, and we had some downed trees, but honestly I enjoy hurricanes. When I was younger I would often go to hurricane parties for cat 1 hurricanes. Cat 2 and above, you stay away from the coast because of the storm surge. Aside from that, keep your trees trimmed, secure all loose articles out side, and batten down the hatches. Like most here, I always keep food, water, a generator, a grill, and fuel around. Then I just relax and enjoy the free time with the family; well I did when I was still married anyway.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

We were out for weeks with Isabel. People get cranky and there is no ice to be found, but no, this isn't NO.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I live right in the path, but I am prepared for the complete destruction of society and civilization, so a hurricane won't bother me much. Good post and it's good that you are looking out for people.
edit on 27-10-2012 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Let's put this into perspective:

Sandy has grown in size such that its cloud cover blankets an area 2,000 miles (3,218 kilometers) across as the storm passed over the Bahamas, NASA officials said.
Source[pic]fb508be9cb.jpg[/pi c]

DON'T FORGET TO PUT YOUR LAPTOP IN A WEATHER-PROOF BAG!!! And don't forget to get CASH from the bank. You won't be able to make electronic transactions when the power goes out.

This was the 1st video i thought about when i initially heard about Sandy.

And, since this is ATS...why not throw this into the mix:
Wikipedia - 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) - Bruce Springsteen (1973)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Recently I heard that Germany And Now Switzerland Want Their Gold Back From The New York Federal Reserve. The Fed is 50 feet below sea level in Manhattan. I'm just saying.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Perhaps we are witnessing another of Earth’s weather’s perturbations due to the continuing approach of Nibiru. It could then be seen as a physiological response by our planet to the return of a long lost lover or nemesis.

edit on 27-10-2012 by apsalmist because: by

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
It's interesting to note that lately it seems as if every frickin dark cloud in the sky brings ominous reports and predictions for severe weather or worse from every Chicken Little with an opinion. And these warnings are always supported by these Idiot's God... computers.

For the fear filled Chicken Little's of the world "the sky is always falling in" and now they've teamed up with the attention seeking little Boy's that cry "Wolf"... to spread their irrational fears far and wide. It's past time for the fear mongers to get a life (and some real emotions too).

The phony concern for people presumably in the path of a pseudo disaster is very tiring and quite low class.
edit on 27-10-2012 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I am in the West so no worries for me. But due to the timing of this anticipated storm, some may not be able to afford getting supplies for this storm. The elderly who live on Social Security may not get their monthly checks in time to get an extra can of soup or a candle to give light or warmth. People may want to check with their elderly neighbors to see if they need anything. Maybe even just picking up a prescription for an elderly neighbor while you are running around getting prepared, could help them greatly.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
We are right in the path of the eye of the storm, and right at the point where the noreaster is going to intersect with it.

Everyone around here has been talking about nothing but the storm, and prepping like it is a panic. I went to the food store last night at 10 PM, thinking it would be less crowded, and it was STILL crowded and I had to wait in line to check out. They already had many shelves going bare. They were almost sold out of water and Cambell's Chunky soup, and completely out of C and D batteries.

My father went to Sears this morning, and overheard them answering the phone, which rang constantly, with the greeting "Hello this is Sears, we are sold out of generators". My aunt and uncle are currently sitting in a crowd of people waiting at a Home Depot, which is far from their home, because they heard a truck of generators is arriving soon.

I'm afraid that anyone who is not prepared is going to have a hard time stocking up now.
edit on 10/27/12 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

My divorcee works for auto parts and all the generators and gas cans were sold out yesterday morning.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Brown Bear

Right....because it was just a thunderstorm that killed dozens in the Caribbean.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
If you or a loved one gets dialysis, some dialysis centers are opening on Sunday for treatment before the storm hits. Find out.

If you are on live saving medication, some states allow early refills during a state of emergency.

Oxygen companies are also delivering extra oxygen.

Shelters are already going into place. Call your local health department to find out where shelters are opening AHEAD of time.

Remember that there are different kinds. Some are just places to sleep, some are staffed with nurses and doctoers, find out what you need and where.

If you need bulk ice, start filling gatorade, water bottles and freeze those, and pack your fridge and freezer. It will hold food longer.
edit on 27-10-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
It will be raining so you will be able to collect rain water for toilets and bathing. So have some extra buckets on hand. They also help if you need to haul water out of your basement.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I'm standing in front of my favorite tree (was) on my street after being up all night with 'Charlie'. It's hard to tell but there are trees down in front of me and behind me allllll the way down the street, no vehicles in or out.

No power 12 days, sweltering heat while all of our neighbors came together and we chainsawed a path so we could get a truck out to pick up fuel and supplies.

There were so many trees down, we couldn't sit around and wait for FEMA, the City, the Government, to get in there and take care of us. We picked up hammer and nail and went to work.
We took care of each other, shared generator power, and cooked on gas grills, food kept cold in the fridge with dry ice.

A generator, plenty of fuel on hand and in your vehicle, chainsaw, crank radios and flash lights, a basic telephone land line (cell phones wont work), candles, water (in jugs and in the tub), extra ice in the fridge. Dry ice is a life saver if you can locate a distributor near you, they will usually be set up to start passing it out shortly after a major storm.

In the case of Sandy, the target area really needs to be ready for flooding, as you can see in the pic, it drained very quickly....we were lucky.

l
edit on 27-10-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Most important, people: DON'T PANIC.

Sounds like I'm being insensitive, but when you panic, you don't think straight, and in a life threatening situation, having your wits about you is more important than an extra can o soup or a massive generator.

Do not panic...it's a storm, and this too shall pass. And when it does, life may be a little different than before (or not, depending how big the storm is) but you'll probably have saved your own and your dearests lives by keeping your wits about you.

Hang in there!

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3Dplus
Most important, people: DON'T PANIC.

Sounds like I'm being insensitive, but when you panic, you don't think straight, and in a life threatening situation, having your wits about you is more important than an extra can o soup or a massive generator.

Do not panic...it's a storm, and this too shall pass. And when it does, life may be a little different than before (or not, depending how big the storm is) but you'll probably have saved your own and your dearests lives by keeping your wits about you.

Hang in there!

This scenario is a weeeeeee bit different. Reason being: it's gonna smack, dead center, right into NYC; which is surrounded by water....and big buildings. Look what happened to America after 9-11. New York is the capital of the world.

BTW....will the newly built "Freedom Tower" sustain this? Is it possible that all of lower Manhattan gets flooded away? Someone also mentioned about Germany and Switzerland wanting their Gold back? I also keep hearing the phrase: "October Surprise" being tossed around. The 1st time i heard that phrase being used, was a few years ago. Better late, than never??? Never let an opportunity go to waste???

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CINY8

One of my kids just moved to western upstate NY about 6 months ago. She has no experience with bad weather of this magnitude, having lived in mild places like California, Hawaii, Japan, and Alabama (yes, 'bama gets hurricanes, but not while she lived there). I've been pestering her to get prepared but she is making jokes about it, saying that "mom is paranoid". She says they live right across the street from a Walgreens. I said, what good will that do if all the shelves are empty?

Sometimes experience is the best teacher, so I'll say nothing more and let her discover what a hurricane can do, even far inland. It sounds cruel, but she's military, so if she can make it to the base, she'll be okay, hopefully. Meanwhile, I'll be praying for the safety of everybody in the path of this monster.

Like the OP, I also have a bad feeling about this. I'm nowhere near it, but there is something about it that spells trouble for millions of people. Let's hope that we're all wrong.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Yeah I agree, I would not under play this storm.
And today is your last day to get ready.

I highly suggest you do what is needed to prepare for this storm.

I put in another thread.. I am on the other side of the coast in FL. We have 25-35 MPH winds all the way over here.
I have 10 pound garbage cans that where blown to the end of the road, and sticks and stuff all in the streets, and I am not even in the path of this thing!!!

I have a sinking feeling, this one is going to make some real damage. Might not level your town, but its going to knock out power, and knock down trees. You could be without power for up to 1 week, lets hope that is being over dramatic. But in the case of worse comes to worse, people have been without power for up to 2 weeks in some storms. Flooding water destroying all supplies. So keep your supplies at a high level place.

I have a 3 man fishing boat, bolted upside down on top of our roof, and emergency supplies are tucked under a tarp under the boat. Never put all your eggs in one basket.

Take HEED folks. Do not test mother nature.. Shes a mother %#&$^$!

Edit-- I have seen over hyped storms many times.. However I feel in my gut.. This one is not over hyped. I do not see many hurricanes directed at NJ, NY area.
I am use to hurricanes coming at me from the gulf.
No this one is different.. And it feels different too!
I just can not get over how windy it is here, and I AM on the other side near the gulf, and I had batten down the hatches lets say over here..
Hope everyone is going to be okay, but just be prepared.
edit on 27-10-2012 by zysin5 because: 1.1

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brown Bear
It's interesting to note that lately it seems as if every frickin dark cloud in the sky brings ominous reports and predictions for severe weather or worse from every Chicken Little with an opinion. And these warnings are always supported by these Idiot's God... computers.

For the fear filled Chicken Little's of the world "the sky is always falling in" and now they've teamed up with the attention seeking little Boy's that cry "Wolf"... to spread their irrational fears far and wide. It's past time for the fear mongers to get a life (and some real emotions too).

The phony concern for people presumably in the path of a pseudo disaster is very tiring and quite low class.
edit on 27-10-2012 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

Phony concerns? pseudo disasters?

Whoa dude. Your way out of line on this one I'm afraid. And that's coming from someone who is way out of line most of the time.

This storm can be bad,probably will. The OP is just trying to help people. To be a big burly man with a big bug out kits is one thing, but to be an elderly person on meds that needs to be kept refrigerated, this can be a problem.

Please suck it up a bit OK.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
My big worry is ice. I know hurricanes dump warm water, but if it's feeding a cold weather storm there's large hail and ice to worry about. IMO, snow would be just as bad, considering that an inch of rain can make 10 inches of snow. But this would be a slushy snow, so less than 10 inches per inch of rain. Heavy wet snow turns into ice pretty easily.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join