It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I hope you've prepared - Sandy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

Originally posted by nixie_nox

There is so much hype about this stupid storm its ridiculous. Its BARELY a hurricane.
I live on the gulf coast and we get winds this strong a couple times a year and we dont rush to the store
and buy supplies.
Stop harping on this non-event and focus on more important things

Then what are you doing on a storm survival thread?

The thread was on the top topics page so i read and commented on it.
Anyway, dont worry about what threads I do or do not comment in

So, what you are saying is:

The subject of the thread doesnt interest you but putting down or throwng a little mud at someone who is interested in the thread "does".

Nice.

edit on 27-10-2012 by riverwild because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by riverwild

Didnt throw mud at anyone.. I just said the hype is ridiculous and it is.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

There is so much hype about this stupid storm its ridiculous. Its BARELY a hurricane.
I live on the gulf coast and we get winds this strong a couple times a year and we dont rush to the store
and buy supplies.

Then what are you doing on a storm survival thread?

The thread was on the top topics page so i read and commented on it.
Anyway, dont worry about what threads I do or do not comment in

Well my whole career is preparing people and working disasters, so I take it very personally when someone comes on and tells people not to worry about it. So I *WILL* worry about it, and take any steps necessary to undo your ignorant information.
I have already put in 6 hours today, and depending on the severity, will be working several more weeks.

The thread of this title isn't misleading, the creator meant exactly what this thread is about. So if you are not affected by the hurricane, and don't feel any need to comment on it, why enter it at all? Unless reading comprehension isn't your strong subject.

So for those who are preparing, it is best that they know everything they can.

it doesn't hurt you any, does it?

Yet you have this strange compulsion to come on here and tell people to worry about something else, why is that?
If I see threads that I am not interested in, I have no problem skipping them and going to something else.

Maybe you want to talk to somebody about that.
I don't care if this storm magically poofs into non existance without another puff of air, it is better to prepared, then not to be. In case it does it and IS a disaster. No one wants a house fire, but it is a good idea to have a smoke detector, don't you think?

Do you go around telling people that fires don't happen, are not a big deal, and don't waste money on batteries?

So unless you are a meteorologist, with a sophisticated program that can predict that this storm will suddenly swing to the east without another thought, you have no business telling people there is noting to worry about.

Especially considering it has killed 2 dozen people in the Caribbean.

Or do you conveniently overlook that fact when you go onto all these storm threads proclaiming nothing will happen?

edit on 27-10-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Man I would love to get snow down here every year. The last time it snowed here was 2004 and it actually happened on Christmas, very cool and nobody died

BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP - Snow rookie in isle 12. Please send tow truck.

I love it when I hear some people say how much they would love to have snow, blah blah blah.

It would only be a matter of a few weeks before you were crying for a palm tree to trade your snow shovel for.

Now back on topic and back to reality with some facts.

It takes little snow to fall in places that are not used to snow to cause utter chaos and carnage.

Many people not used to snow, react excitedly when a dump does come, and many keel over with heart attacks from shoveling.

Municipalities that are not outfitted properly with plows, sanding trucks, micro-bit winter tires on city units, comprehensive dig out plans in case of deep snowfalls.

Trucking and supplies get shut down, and you dont get regular deliveries of food and fuel.

The list goes on and on, please take it from someone who spends a lot of time in deep snow for multiple months of the year. I own snowshoes for a reason, my snowmobile has 163 HP, more than most small cars.

In Golden doing what it does best.

I do not think anything like this will happen with this storm, at least I hope it does not.

This is snow from a trip a few years ago where it snowed a bit over night.

files.abovetopsecret.com...

Your telling me about snow?
Yeah ok kid, thanks.

Now grab a shovel, oh dear, your fancy little city shoes are getting ruined.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Mud is also a word we use for disrespect.

Dont know where Kino Der Toten is but, I sincerely hope it's not in the eye of the storm so many are concerned about.

Let's just all hope nothing happens from this monster they call Frankenstorm. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

k
Dont forget your meds tonight, looks like you ran out.

ont know where Kino Der Toten is but, I sincerely hope it's not in the eye of the storm so many are concerned about.

btw, kino der toten is german for theater of the dead.
Its a map on a game I used to play, called nazi zombies
edit on 10/27/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Star for you Nixie!

Glad you are prepared. Keep it up and thanks for the advise you have given the rest of the folks.

If this storm proves to be as bad as they are predicting and someone by the name of Juggernog rings your door bell. Dont answer it.

Stay safe

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

k

ont know where Kino Der Toten is but, I sincerely hope it's not in the eye of the storm so many are concerned about.

I think you may want to keep playing boi boi on your wii wii and not predict weather, or tell people in danger not to worry (not that anyone in their right minds would listen to you)

One member said in this thread that the cold front from Canada will bounce the tropical storm out to the east and out to sea.

Thats incorrect.

The cold front acts like a magnet to the warmer moist air, its when the two combine, its a big problem.

I think I would be hoping for snow, not freezing rain or rain. Remember what it did to Quebec a few years ago with the freezing rain?

And you can stage and move snow to a better locale for melting.

Lets hope this thing pushes as far north as possible before the two systems meet up. Away from NYC and Chesapeake.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

People resort to insults when they lose an argument.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by morethanyou

I will take snow over ice any day.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I'm sure you'll all be fine. There probably won't be massive blackouts, flooding or riots... just as there haven't really been any major incidents like that as a result of any other recent storm either!

You may be right.......and my house probably wont burn down.....doesn't mean I'm not insured in case it does!

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Thank you! Same to you.

Now for things that you shouldn't do, to prepare for a hurricane:

Do not tape your windows! It actually makes the situation more dangerous by creating larger, sharper chunks of glass.

If a mandatory evacuation is given, leave! The state and locals are not responsible for you, for even rescuing you, if a mandatory evacuation is given.

Check your insurance, flood insurance and hurricane insurance are different. It also depends on how the storm is categorized. If it is listed as a tropical storm, you will not be protected.

If there is lightening, stay in your house, not your car. Yes, I know people who do this.

If you come across downed lines, don't try to determine if they are telephone or power lines.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Thats right.

And keep your clothing dry. If you need to become mobile, wrap your clothing in several garbage bags. Once in the first bag, knot it tightly, then keep repeating several times. If you have a dry bag for sailing or water sports, use it.

group sets of clothes together. Pant shirt, underwear, socks. Then wrap them and tie them. repeat wrapping several times. Then do it again. Don't bog yourself down with a big wardrobe, you will regret it.

One set you wear, take two sets of clothes with you.

Wrap extra socks and underwear in separate bags, as sets. You'll go through more of them than say shirts.

In all your first bags, you should put in two extra unused bags, folded neatly ready for use. These bags will be one use if your knot is nice and tight and waterproof. Once torn open, you'll always need new bags for something, like dried clothing you have washed and want to keep dry. So if you put in two extra bags in the first bag, you'll have all the bags you may need.

Water and electricity does not mix. Assume everything is live 100% of the time.

Don't forget your small battery operated radio.

Wheres your ID and important documents? Same idea, keep em dry.

Outside and wet already with no shelter?
Stay calm, rubber tires are easy to find, they do not absorb water, and will light when diesel fuel is put inside them and lit. They burn hot, don't use them inside.

Water does not run up hill. remember that when your building shelters or bedding down for the night.

Protection. If you do not know what you are doing here, leave this out. I can see people grabbing butcher knives and then falling on them when they are stumbling around on debris.

Avoid large groups, you know what I am saying here.

Don't be flashy. be humble, and quiet.

One last thing.

remember, you have not been forgotten about. There will be many good men and woman en-route to help you.

edit on 27-10-2012 by morethanyou because: more on my bag.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

k

Your comment about "meds" to the other poster wasnt necessary & quite rude.

Why not go play in the theater of the dead?

They will enjoy your company much more than on this thread.

Time for all on this thread to ignore the little fella. He will go away if he's ignored.

Let's get back to the OP.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by morethanyou

Important point on the documents. PITA to get them replaced. And some have sentimental attachment like birth or marriage certificates. Throw photos in there as well.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

and buy supplies.

Ridiculous and dangerous thing to say.

This storm is a reality - and fyi, it doesn't have to be a hurricane to do insane damage. Look at the storms this year for proof of that. These tropical storms can remain for days, constantly raining and bringing in tidal surges. The danger isn't really the wind (though in NYC it would be), it's the water.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I am kinda hoping it will peter out some and be just another blowing rainstorm. But that is just hope. I can tell you people here in MA are taking it pretty serious. Went out today to buy a couple extra gas cans. Just in case you know. Not one to be had anywhere. Same with batteries, generators etc. Though I have all the batts I could need, and a generator. I am however a little low on fuel storage capacity. I will make do as always. Not in a flood prone area, but I am near one. So I may definitely experience some travel disruption. But NP have no where to go anyway. plenty of food, water, and all other possibly needed supplies. So I am not concerned at all...

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Nobody here is hyping the storm, it just makes sense to be prepared. Some of us have to care for children and elderly parents and to do nothing is unconscionable. You are free to do nothing at all and I hope you're nowhere near where this storm is going to hit, in fact I'd like nothing more than for this storm to turn out to sea and leave us all alone however unlikely that may be.

I've lost a car and a basement full of things to hurricanes that we were told were "nothing to worry about". We got 12" of rain in 6 hours instead.
Live long enough your turn will come too.

Great tips people!
Thank you and good luck.

Here's what a foot of rain in 6 hours can do when a hurricane stalls over you:

The water got up to the second floor of the house 2 down from us. It was 9 days before we got power back after Gaston back in '04.
edit on 27-10-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Around here we are always prepared, for things like that, and in these times I just try to have a 3 -5 day supply of the things needed on hand at all times..

But I've had a bad feeling too about the timing and everything about the storm. Even Bryan Norcross said tonight that this was unique storm. Really troubling times.

Thanks for the thread not everyone is used to being prepared for an event like this one. Good luck and stay safe every one.

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Fondue

That makes you one less person FEMA will have to worry about and one more neighbor capable of helping someone else in an emergency.
It's really a good feeling to know you've done all you can to be ready.
I enjoy a good storm myself and knowing I have everything on hand makes it so much less stress.
Insurance will have to cover anything I didn't.

Here the official list from Virginia government of what you might need to have on hand:
www.vaemergency.gov...
edit on 27-10-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join