It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon prisons revealed: WikiLeaks publishes terror detainee manuals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
rt.com...

Apparently WikiLeaks is releasing hundreds of documents detailing US Department of Defense procedures for running Guantanamo Bay, Abu Ghraib, Camp Bucca and other infamous prisons where terror suspects are detained.

Several of the documents slated for publishing “can only be described as ’policies of unaccountability,’” WikiLeaks said in its press release.

This part seems the most interesting to me

Another apparently contains the notorious instructions to "purge" interrogations tapes, which became notorious following the Abu Ghraib torture scandals in the mid 2000s

If they actually have something could be interesting to see what happens. Well on 2nd thought probably nothing will happen and the media will ignore it. At least it won't be ignored on ATS!

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
brace for some nasty, nasty stuff.. I'm not even going to read it when it comes out I've had enough of hearing about some of the barbaric stuff people are capable of. Torture is unfortunately deemed a necessity by some in power.

What a shame.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Its long been Known that the Pentagon has secret prisons throughout the world. Just like im sure Every powerful country in the world does, including China, Russia, North Korea, Iran, ect.......... Unfortunetly thats what happens when you end up being labeled a Terrorist, Spy, commit treason, ect.... I cant believe they have a manual though, Hell in the cold war, the Manual was, a bullet in the head. No detention centers, just an unmarked grave if your lucky

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Leave it to Wikileaks to be as 100% political as humanly possible with whatever material they have at hand to be political with. They did this by "Strategic" releasing of information during the wars and at the height of it, and now they are playing the same game to screw with the United States Election in whatever little way they can.

It's REAL REAL HARD to maintain any respect for them when this SHOULD HAVE COME OUT YEARS AGO....but gee whiz,.. it wasn't politically USEFUL then like it is now.

THIS kind of thing actually makes me second guess myself about wishing Assange well and hoping he gets clear of the hunt for him.

Hey... World? Can we HAVE OUR OWN ELECTION without all the very strong efforts to interfere with every form of public opinion and voter sentiment? I mean, I can't really bitch when the U.S. goes and meddles 10 ways in everyone else's business after THIS cycle of seeing it done to us with such glee. Payback can be hard....real hard.
edit on 25-10-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

You are assuming these documents were leaked "years ago". Also WL doesn't just spat out whatever it gets. All leaks are fact checked and censored before release. So there is a back log.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
War is ugly and lots of bad things are done by all involved, do you honestly think that the American government dont use torture. We use whatever means necessary to get the desired result just like everybody else. We cant win a war and were always gettin our buts kicked like pretty much every where we have been since WW II, with the exception of Iraq, because of too many that want to be politically correct and scared they might hurt someone's feelings. Its a good thing we do use torture and hang on these people or we wouldnt be gettin nowhere. I love reading stuff like this, It does me good when I think about all the American lives lost around the world and at home.
edit on 25-10-2012 by mntnhooger because: added to the conversation

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

I generally have respected Wikileaks and that is important to say first. If your suggesting Wikileaks hasn't timed their information releases for maximum impact though, I'll take a bit of time to bury you with stories to the contrary for Iraq, Afghanistan and the early days and lead up to the Arab Spring breaking out. Absolutely they have timed their releases, when possible, to influence events.

Normally, that was interesting to watch. now? It's infuriating and just ONE MORE outside attempt to screw with our internal election. I'm not the only American about fed up with it too. EVERYONE outside of America can offer all the opinions they want and keep EVERYTHING ELSE to themselves. As much as other nations have told US to keep out of THEIR business......this is getting a bit much for the BLATANT attempts at manipulation of outcome.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

I generally have respected Wikileaks and that is important to say first. If your suggesting Wikileaks hasn't timed their information releases for maximum impact though, I'll take a bit of time to bury you with stories to the contrary for Iraq, Afghanistan and the early days and lead up to the Arab Spring breaking out. Absolutely they have timed their releases, when possible, to influence events.

Normally, that was interesting to watch. now? It's infuriating and just ONE MORE outside attempt to screw with our internal election. I'm not the only American about fed up with it too. EVERYONE outside of America can offer all the opinions they want and keep EVERYTHING ELSE to themselves. As much as other nations have told US to keep out of THEIR business......this is getting a bit much for the BLATANT attempts at manipulation of outcome.

That is the wrong attitude and potentially foolish.

You cannot expect to interfere with the whole world and then expect to be allowed some peace and ignore the plight, confusion, anger and other such emotions which erupt from previous American made decisions.

You either eat the cake or you don't.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I see, so you're essentially confirming what I'm saying for the general motivations here. It's getting us back? That's quite a statement made to context of the thread and what I'd said.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yes WL does actually guarantee maximum impact to the leaks and always tries to do that. However I'd say whoever leaked the information is the one who is trying to impact US affairs, WL is just the messenger

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
It seems to me that these emails simply confirm what many of us already knew, or at least strongly suspected.

The prisons at Gitmo are cruel and unusual, purely political, and many people including several of the military prosecutors there have made public statements to that effect.

It's good that WL has released this information, if only to show the many Doubting Thomas types that, most unfortunately, the US is the world's worst when it comes to torture and absence of due process in international law.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Wrabbit you seem to be a bit of wanting it both ways. The selection of a president isn't up to you, it's be predetermined years in advance, the entire process is about making you feel better about the selection - nothing is left to chance or the dumbass voter. In fact, your vote has no point in an electoral college system. To your point about the political timing, what was "swift boat veterans for manipulation?" Wiki isn't a truth crusader, if they were they'd be dead, they are part of the same machine that manipulates your vote, many are pretty sure their an alphabet agency's tool. In the end, regardless of who or what or when, information is just that. The question is is the information valid and can you use it to help yourself.

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
brace for some nasty, nasty stuff.. I'm not even going to read it when it comes out I've had enough of hearing about some of the barbaric stuff people are capable of. Torture is unfortunately deemed a necessity by some in power.

What a shame.

Not me.. I will read it.

What they did to these "terrorist" they will do to us, right here at home, that they consider to be "domestic terrorist".

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by crankyoldman

I hear what you're saying but I'm not near that far down the road of outright giving up and accepting the idea that noting we can do can ever change anything.

I'm also going to note again what I've said all along. The Presidency is but one of many races on the major 4 year tickets.The state and local races are not nearly as likely to be rigged, if at all. in a state like mine, I've met the guys running for the local and statehouse positions. It may sound quaint in other places but believe it or not, they've come door to door.

The President is not even the most important reason to vote. The guy in the White House isn't writing and voting on laws I'll get tickets for or have to follow new rules or regulations in my city over. The guys I vote for on the 6th way down ticket from Obama/Romney DO write those laws...and I have some definite opinions about who I do or do NOT want them to be.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Let's not spin totally out of control here. Maybe W.L timed their information releases for maximum impact, maybe not.
The real issue still is a USA talking tough about human rights and democratic values and then doing the precise opposite!
W.L is doing good work and should do this to all countries. USA, China, Russia and any other. And corporations.
Just put yourself in the situation of one of these terror detainees. One day you're a taxi driver in Iraq or Afghanistan, next day you're called a terrorist and get tortured for info. you just don't have.
We have to assume these people are innocent until proven guilty.
Why haven't they gotten a trial yet?! If USA know they did whatever, why not a trial already??
They didn't do it - but USA can't lose face. Or so it thinks. Not much credibility left after yellow cake, wmd:s in Iraq, Abu Ghraib and Saddams none existing link to al qaeda.

new topics

top topics

join