It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the Maya Really Said About 2012

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
With December 21 on the horizon I've seen a lot of people claiming the Maya said this or the Maya said that. As I have mentioned previously the Maya only made one reference to 2012. Now there has been a second inscription found but I have yet to find the actual translation. So let's see what exactly the Maya did say about 2012.

It will be completed the thirteenth Bak'tun.
It is 4 Ajaw and 3 K'ank'in
and it will happen a 'seeing'.
It is the display of B'olon-Yokte'
in a great 'investiture'.

As we can see the Maya said nothing about a raise in consciousness or th End of the World. The only thing they said would happen is a religious ceremony dedicated to B'olon-Yokte'.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
But have you took the time to find out what B'olon Yokte is about? I think not,

"B’olon Yokte’ K’uh: Maya conceptions of war, conflict, and the underworld".

If its not the End they certanly refer to a comming war or at least a conflict wich can go either way.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Bauwser

how about a war so massive will come that the earth can not go on & it starts to crumble like apple crumble?

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
i think the calender was just an ancient 'sticky' note to remind them to change the battery in the smoke detector!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

actually they did say it is an awakening experience. the next step in evolution.

you should look at the baktuns and what they really stand for. each baktun describes the length of a period of time on earth before new creatures are born and evolve out of old ones.

the end of the 13th baktun is supposed to take man into the next phase of evolution. A Spiritual Revolution.. and Evolution. it could also be the end of time as we know it as spiritual realms carry with them timelessness. ive got my ideas of how it's going to go down.

but where it all conjoins is in every holy religious doctrine on the earth speaking of an 'apocalyptic age'. the word apocalypse simply means 'unveiling'.. which is the same meaning as in the Christian bible 'Revelation'

something will be revealed. something previously hidden from 'sight'. and just as the Christian bible and all others.. There will be a spiritual war. but i know that that war is already going on and has been for a while.
edit on 24-10-2012 by 0mage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Bauwser

...yes he is associated with the underworld, conflict and war but also he is a god that is often present during Creation events, often referring to the Creation event

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

I have been pondering this for a while B’olon Yokte’ K’uh an I believe they are saying there will be a war with inner Earth. Now if I speculate on this a little more, that could mean the Earth's inner turmoil, earthquakes, volcano's and the sort. Or maybe something a little more sinister, like beings that live inside earth will come out and...well start a war.

Personally I think the Maya didn't know anything more than we do about the future, it was just a calender. None the less it has been fun pondering the what ifs, however hollow the reality may be.

edit on 24-10-2012 by AsuspiciousMANappears because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
What's with all the Mayan Calender threads all of a sudden??

Sorry, but I had to ask
edit on 24-10-2012 by DariusHames because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Bauwser

Yes B'olon-Yokte' is associated with war, the underworld, etc but that is only one part of the inscription. For example let's look at the definition of investiture.

something that covers or adorns

What this inscription describes is a religious ceremony where a priest will adorn himself in clothing associated with B'olon-Yokte'. What this describes is a ceremony, not a coming war.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I thought it also said that the "Gods" will return?

Not that I believe any of the hoopla, Just thought it was actually written.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by 0mage

All baktuns stand for are 20 katuns. If we look at the Popol Vuh we see that we are the Fourth Creation of the gods. However we also see that the gods have no intention of destroying us and starting anew. We were seen as a successful creation. Despite this the previous creations were not destroyed after a set amount of time. They were destroyed when the gods decided they were not adequate. We were seen as adequate and there was no reason to believe we would be followed by another creation.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The Dresden codex shows the end of the long-count calendar as a massive flood.

Also, the Maya saw time as cyclical, indicating that they expected no "end" - just a new beginning.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

However... The mayans did plan their wars based upon the transit of Venus...

Which we did just have a couple months ago...

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ArchimaX

Except there is no date associated with the final panel of the Dresden Codex. We don't know if it depicts a future event, a past event, or any event at all. Considering the second creation was destroyed in a deluge my guess would be that's what it depicts.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by JrDavis

They planned their wars based on the heliacal rising of Venus, not the transit. This is because Venus was seen as a bringer of good luck. For this reason coronations were also performed during the rising of Venus.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by JrDavis

They planned their wars based on the heliacal rising of Venus, not the transit. This is because Venus was seen as a bringer of good luck. For this reason coronations were also performed during the rising of Venus.

Ooooh that makes a lot more sense.

Also a little less frightening. lol

Why did they cherish Venus over the Sun?

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by JrDavis

Because since Venus was visible in the morning and at night they saw it as the conqueror of the Sun and the Moon.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

reply to post by 0mage

All baktuns stand for are 20 katuns. If we look at the Popol Vuh we see that we are the Fourth Creation of the gods. However we also see that the gods have no intention of destroying us and starting anew. We were seen as a successful creation. Despite this the previous creations were not destroyed after a set amount of time. They were destroyed when the gods decided they were not adequate. We were seen as adequate and there was no reason to believe we would be followed by another creation.

L
L
you were doing fine until you came up with that presumptuous arrant nonsense.

i'm sure the people of earlier suns thought the same.

this looks like you believe in the "myth" of Progress and are merely defending your own beliefs to me.
in other words: whistling past the graveyard L
L

The Mayans Thought Everything Was Fine - Right Up Till Their Resources Ran Out...

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
reply to post by hawkiye

i always lol when i see someone post:

the mayans didn't predict their own end

or words to that effect

as if they were immune to normalcy bias or wishful thinking

truth is, the prophets of "nothing will happen" of that time and place may have been believed back then,
though they turned out to be wrong.

and didn't you claim elsewhere that the popol vuh was contaminated by xtian ideas and therefore worthless as a source?

something to look out for
:
Milky Way's black hole getting ready for snack

The black hole is known as Sgr A*. "Sgr" is the abbreviation for Sagittarius, the constellation near the center of the Milky Way. Most galaxies have a black hole at their center, some thousands of times bigger than this one. "While this one is 3-to-4 million times as big as our sun, it has been relatively quiet," according to Murray. "It's not getting fed very much." Contrary to their name, black holes can appear very bright. That's because gas orbiting them loses energy via friction, getting hotter and brighter as it spirals inward before falling into the black hole. Read more at: phys.org...

As the cloud approaches the black hole and begins to fall in to what Murray describes as "a gravity well" beginning next September, it will begin to shed energy , causing it to heat to incredibly high temperatures, visible to radio and X-ray telescopes on Earth as well as orbiting satellites such as NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory.

edit on 24-10-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit and comment

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

It's not presumptuous. That's what the Popol Vuh. It makes no mention of potential future creations because the gods were happy with this one. The reason I bring up the Popol Vuh because that is where these stories of multiple creations comes from. So even though the Popol Vuh was contaminated with Christian beliefs, if people are going to make false claims about what it says I'm going to provide the correct information.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

reply to post by Bauwser

Yes B'olon-Yokte' is associated with war, the underworld, etc but that is only one part of the inscription. For example let's look at the definition of investiture.

something that covers or adorns

What this inscription describes is a religious ceremony where a priest will adorn himself in clothing associated with B'olon-Yokte'. What this describes is a ceremony, not a coming war.

thats your personal interpretation...could be a covering or adorning with knowledge,, information,, enlightenment..change.. etc.... my interpretation....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join