It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 Billion Year Old, Extremely Valuable Meteorite Used As Doorstop By Tennessee Family

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Wow, can you imagine that.....

The rock is nothing much to look at: 33 pounds and oval shaped. If you didn't know its history, you probably wouldn't be surprised that Donna Lewis's family used it as a doorstop, later parking it in the front garden.

It was even painted green for a time.

As it turned out, this was no ordinary rock. On Thursday, Donna and her husband George formally announced that the family rock picked out of a cow pasture in the 1930 is in fact a meteorite, Fox News reported.

Researchers from the University of Tennessee believe the ancient and very valuable rock came from a known meteorite strike that first turned up evidence in Tazewell, Tenn. in 1853.

According to Arizona State University's Center for Meteorite Studies, a meteorite is a solid body from outer space that has fallen to the Earth's surface. The Lewis meteorite is classified as a "find" by the center, since it was not observed falling to earth but rather was recognized after the fact by its distinct features.

George Lewis first started to suspect his rock might be special after running a metal detector over it in May. To his surprise, the detector's dial registered "overload," reports the Lexington Herald-Leader.

After confirming the rock's other worldly pedigree, Eastern Kentucky University purchased it, for eventual display in the school's new Science's building.

main.aol.com...

In addition to being extremely rare, meteorites of this size are also valuable. In an October auction, cosmic rocks for sale had price tags ranging from the tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars, according to the Associated Press.

Wonder what they got paid for it??

There's a video that goes with this article but I don't know how to embed it, so if some one would like to, that would be great.

www.foxnews.com...

[ETA: fix links]
[ETA: AOL link not working....]

edit on 23-10-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
They sure do look verrry haapppy.........

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Umm... (catches breath) (cough cough) HOW many POUNDS? Oh my... I am sure they are happy. Thrilled! They hit the power ball even by academic pay standards! Oh...just once in life!

A few examples of value BY the GRAM!

Those are folks that probably won't have money problems for the remainder of their years. Comfy years...

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
hahaha it was crazy, it was suddenly rich family .. hihii let's find some...

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Umm... (catches breath) (cough cough) HOW many POUNDS? Oh my... I am sure they are happy. Thrilled! They hit the power ball even by academic pay standards! Oh...just once in life!

A few examples of value BY the GRAM!

Those are folks that probably won't have money problems for the remainder of their years. Comfy years...

33 pounds.....no wonder why his metal detector went crazy!!!

Hell, I'm lucky if I win $5 on the lottery. LOL.

BTW, thanks for the link.... very interesting indeed.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
at about 1 $ per oz isn't that around $18,000, not quite enough to retire on......unless you retire in maine.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by cheesy
hahaha it was crazy, it was suddenly rich family .. hihii let's find some...

I'm a Meteorite Dealer and I've owned a Internet business for 10 years, Rich?? Not likely but they may be able to buy a new car with it.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by iwontrun
at about 1 $ per oz isn't that around $18,000, not quite enough to retire on......unless you retire in maine.

Regular run of the mill Iron meteorites sell for around .25 - $1.00 a gram .. so at $1 a gram = $28 a Oz...$448 Lb... 33Lbs = $14784.. A Nice find.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I can believe it.

A friend of mine tells me of a rock that houses more than one full trilobite (something not entirely easy to come by in these parts) being used as a step to an outhouse (yeah I guess a few people still use those lol).

To use an awesome fossil like that as a step to an outhouse is crazy lol.

To use this meteorite as a doorstop is nearly as crazy.

Raist

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by RocksFromSpace

Originally posted by iwontrun

Regular run of the mill Iron meteorites sell for around .25 - $1.00 a gram .. so at $1 a gram = $28 a Oz...$448 Lb... 33Lbs = $14784.. A Nice find.

If this turns out to be a unique find, it is far from "run of the mill". Irons are rather rare, about 3-6% of meteorites are Irons. The value really depends more on how much material is in possession. If it winds up being cataloged to a known find, it will take that name and the value will be determined by how much more there is of this fall. If it is unique, then it could be worth way more than $1 a gram. I really wonder what they got paid for it.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I'd just note...one of those on my link up there was $25/gram. That's $11k per pound...and that was just for the type class being nifty. This is the second largest..by the story..from a known strike already considered special or unusual somehow.

I'm thinking they got a whole lot more than 5 figures on the check, or they're getting it in other ways if someone is sticky about cash numbers given the recipient. That's my guess.. Rare and Unusual sells, with this sounding like a jackpot for that.

Cook believes the meteorite to be the second largest (known) meteorite from the Tazewell strike. The first, he said, weighed approximately 100 pounds.
(OP Link)

Sounds like a score to me.
Almost makes ya wanna go rock hunting out in the back country where every stone just sitting in plain view hasn't been seen and kicked around by a thousand people... Who knows?

edit on 23-10-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by RocksFromSpace

wow really? how to distinguish asteroids expensive and not?

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Wow a fortune literally at their feet. I'm taking a closer look at rocks the rest of my life..

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

I wish they would have explained what in the World convinced this family to inspect the rock to begin with? Just says it was laying in the garden, painted green after a stint as a doorstop and then bam, 4 billion year old meteor??

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

I wish they would have explained what in the World convinced this family to inspect the rock to begin with? Just says it was laying in the garden, painted green after a stint as a doorstop and then bam, 4 billion year old meteor??

Supposedly his metal detector went ballistic when he put it over the rock....

George Lewis first started to suspect his rock might be special after running a metal detector over it in May. To his surprise, the detector's dial registered "overload," reports the Lexington Herald-Leader.

Nice surprise alright!!!

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

A prefabricated answer to their prayers ?

top topics

join