It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As if we weren't spied on enough.....the Copyright Alert System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I am disgusted at AT&T, Cablevision, Comcast, Time Warner, & Verizon for agreeing to this crap. ISP providers are about to start monitoring your Internet usage and notifying you/punishing you when you download what they consider illegal content. The system will be monitored by the Center for Copyright Information, made up of entities such as the Motion Picture Association of America and Recording Industry Association of America.

Link

Link 2

Here’s how the program works: On the first offense, internet subscribers will receive an e-mail “alert” from their ISP saying the account “may have been” misused for online content theft. On the second offense, the alert might contain an “educational message” about the legalities of online file sharing. On the third and fourth infractions, the subscriber will likely receive a pop-up notice “asking the subscriber to acknowledge receipt of the alert.” After four alerts, according to the program, “mitigation measures” may commence. They include “temporary reductions of internet speeds, redirection to a landing page until the subscriber contacts the ISP to discuss the matter or reviews and responds to some educational information about copyright, or other measures (as specified in published policies) that the ISP may deem necessary to help resolve the matter.”

They use a service called MarkMonitor, which uses a combination of people and automated systems to spot illegal downloading. It will collect the IP addresses of offenders, but no personal information. The IP addresses are turned over to the Internet providers, which will match up the address with the right customer and send the notification.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Wow... What has that place become, nazi America?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jburg6
I am disgusted at AT&T, Cablevision, Comcast, Time Warner, & Verizon for agreeing to this crap. ISP providers are about to start monitoring your Internet usage and notifying you/punishing you when you download what they consider illegal content. The system will be monitored by the Center for Copyright Information, made up of entities such as the Motion Picture Association of America and Recording Industry Association of America.

Nope, sorry. Why are you blaming the internet providers when all it boils down to is the folks who want residuals putting pressure on them?

It's folks in the entertainment industry doing this....you know the people who want to be paid over and over and over again for doing a job once.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

The internet providers are choosing to be complicit, so they are just as guilty.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jburg6

Verizon in your country sound like one of the worst offenders when it comes to spying.Microsoft has refused to allow them to install remote control software in the windows 8 phones they are about to get so it looks like Verizon wont get them.
For once good on Microsoft.
Hasn't YouTube just done something like your opening post with their copyright policy?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hushabye
reply to post by Sissel

The internet providers are choosing to be complicit, so they are just as guilty.

Well, do you like your service? What you have been allowed to have access to has been a bone of contention for greedy hollywood types for years.

You will still be able to get all the service you want in regards to movies and music, but it's going to cost you.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jburg6

This isn't new. I had Verizon and they tried this crapola with me way back in 2011 when I was downloading from Pirate Bay. I told them I have no clue the neighbors jump off my wifi all the time and it wasn't anyone in the household so since ISP's are not like fingerprints anyone that's used my wifi will have the same ISP address.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by jburg6

This isn't new. I had Verizon and they tried this crapola with me way back in 2011 when I was downloading from Pirate Bay. I told them I have no clue the neighbors jump off my wifi all the time and it wasn't anyone in the household so since ISP's are not like fingerprints anyone that's used my wifi will have the same ISP address.

I think they address this issue, and you are allowed one "free pass" to claim something like this. Otherwise, it is up to you to pay like $35 to file something refuting what they are claiming. I really don't want my internet slowed to dial-up speed (one of the punitive measures is slowing your speed) simply because I choose to stream/download something that some schmuck claims is illegal.

new topics

top topics

join