It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinions: Best Browser

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Id like some opinions on a good browser. Ive had it with firefox that Ive stuck with for several yrs and its messed up updates.. and IE - just hate IE in general. Im not overly fond of chrome.

Any suggestions out there? Id been told in chat to check out Iron... anyone had any good or bad experiences with it?

TIA

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Firefox is the best browser. I've been using it for years without issue. If you're having issues, they are most likely caused by extensions or add-ons. There is absolutely zero issues with stock Firefox.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Double post....

edit on 18-10-2012 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
Firefox is the best browser. I've been using it for years without issue. If you're having issues, they are most likely caused by extensions or add-ons. There is absolutely zero issues with stock Firefox.

I never had issues either, until updated firefox this last time.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I always end up going back to Firefox.. I havn't found anything i like better. Sometimes you have to tweak it a little bit with some google searches to get the settings right to keep it fast, but I will take that over a google product which is fast most of the time, but I don't like how it runs in many ways, and IE is a joke...

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Google Chrome works the best for me . I dumped IE and Firefox.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

I always end up going back to Firefox.. I havn't found anything i like better. Sometimes you have to tweak it a little bit with some google searches to get the settings right to keep it fast, but I will take that over a google product which is fast most of the time, but I don't like how it runs in many ways, and IE is a joke...

I always swore by it too... and thats what I lost were different settings, control key commands.. heck I couldnt even copy paste in chat! LOL! Maybe Ill just reload firefox and see what happens.
UGH!

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I used Firefox for years and years, now I primarily use Chrome.

Chrome is great, super light, super fast, and with addons you can pretty much tweak it to whatever you want.

What do you have against Chrome? If your concern is privacy you can disable the features that create a user ID and submit feedback to Google.

Some links to help you make Chrome anonymous:

sourceforge.net...

techie-buzz.com...

Iron is ok, but has some bugs. It really is just Chrome anonymized.

Happy browsing!

ETA: The Chrome/Firefox app Ghostery is a must have.

edit on 18-10-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I've been using Chrome on my desktop for a while. My Asus laptop didn't even have IE. All it came with was Chrome. On my Galaxy Nexus I use Dolphin all the time.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
I used Firefox for years and years, now I primarily use Chrome.

Chrome is great, super light, super fast, and with addons you can pretty much tweak it to whatever you want.

What do you have against Chrome? If your concern is privacy you can disable the features that create a user ID and submit feedback to Google.

Some links to help you make Chrome anonymous:

sourceforge.net...

techie-buzz.com...

Iron is ok, but has some bugs. It really is just Chrome anonymized.

Happy browsing!

ETA: The Chrome/Firefox app Ghostery is a must have.

Your avatar is horrifying me Tink.... LOL!!

Its a petty thing about Chrome.. I dont like the way the tabs are.
Ive used firefox for so long that I just got used to it I guess. I dont care about the privacy thing. If it meant anything I would, but nothing is actually secure and private... things Id use to surf and babble on ATS with anyway,

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by 03Smoker
I've been using Chrome on my desktop for a while. My Asus laptop didn't even have IE. All it came with was Chrome. On my Galaxy Nexus I use Dolphin all the time.

Yeah, my middle daughters asus came with chrome.
I just have a Toshiba and used to have linux on it, but went back to windows due to a certain program I HAVE to run that doesnt like linux. My kindle is hacked to ICS.. with a generic browser and firefox.. firefox does fine on that.

Too many darn gadgets and things. The desktop does fine with firefox.. I just want to go back to doing my surfing on this laptop in the kitchen without a hassle again!

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
used firefox forever after opera, but it started messing up on me too, just give into chrome, i didn't want to use it, but hey its the best browser i've ever used :p

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I always swore by it too... and thats what I lost were different settings, control key commands.. heck I couldnt even copy paste in chat! LOL! Maybe Ill just reload firefox and see what happens. UGH!

Be sure to install the latest non-ie Adobe flash beta. It fixes the recent issues Mozilla has had with flash. You can get it here (filehippo is a clean site)

Also, use Mozbackup to keep your profile backed up, so you can restore it when the unthinkable happens. You can get it here

Hope that helps some. FTR, I've had no issues with the latest Firefox updates.

ETA: Chrome is a good browser. I keep it installed as a second. I don't like the way it handles bookmarks or downloads though. But it's faster than Firefox, and no flash issues because it's built into the browser. Java still has to be updated for both though.

edit on 10/18/2012 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Firefox has so many nice features and tweaks. Better proxy security, Master password feature is a must have.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
FTR, I've had no issues with the latest Firefox updates.

Agreed. Haven't had any issues with any of the updates. There could be some malware or virus causing the OP's problems. I've never had any major issues with Firefox and I'll continue to use Firefox. On my desktop, anyway.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
This is what I have to say about the browsers I use.

Opera is my favourite (for some reason all other browsers copy the ideas they have), but it has some problems showing some pages.

IE is not that bad, at least I never had any problems with it. Version 10 (the one that comes with Windows 8) is the closest to the standards that Microsoft has made so far, but that creates some problems, as some Javascript functions made to work in older versions of IE now do not work because IE works like the other browsers.

Firefox has some things I don't like, specially the memory usage, it uses as much memory as Opera while showing less than half of the pages Opera is showing.

Chrome is good, Iron is almost the same as Chrome, but without the features added by Google.

Safari for Windows has some memory problems, at least on my computer.

Maxthon is a little strange but appears to work as advertised.

PS: Chrome cheats to make it look like it loads pages faster than the other browsers. While we are reading the page he searches the page, looking for links to other pages, then it pre-loads those pages, expecting that we will choose one of them. For those that have to pay for what they download that makes a difference.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
i like chrome best. but chrome for me is useless at playing vids
youtube vids have no sound unless i mess with the html5 settings(ie switching back and forth).
though everything is up to date , does anyone know how to fix that?

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rikku
i like chrome best. but chrome for me is useless at playing vids
youtube vids have no sound unless i mess with the html5 settings(ie switching back and forth).
though everything is up to date , does anyone know how to fix that?

Not sure what the problem is, but I have had no issues with Chrome and vids on any computer I've installed it on. So I would say the issue is with your computer, not Chrome.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

a quick google say's alot of people have the same problem, for a long time, which i guess means i need too update something.but (EVERYTHING IS UP TO DATE)
oh well i'll just use ie. ie handles jave and flash better imo.
also i never see (not responding) with ie.
why does everyone hate on ie?

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I've been using Iron ( Chrome variant ) since Armap pointed me towards it a month or two ago. And, so far, it's been great! There's a bit of hassle if using most extensions or add-ons for Chrome - but not too bad. At least in my install the Iron browser tends to install these to the Chrome directory ( I have Chrome as well ) and not the Iron directory. But that's easy to fix.

I have also been playing with another really light Chrome/Opera hyrbid called Yandex - from a Russian search engine company. But I haven't gotten deep enough into it yet to decide if I like it or not.

Up until a couple of years ago I was Firefox loyal. To me it was the heir apparent to Netscape ( my browser of choice oh so long ago ) - but gave up on it because of the memory and resource hogging issues.

~Heff

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join