It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney more anti-gun than Obama?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Well, we found out an interesting bit of information from last nights debate.

It turns out that Romney doesn't like automatic weapons, and he's glad they are illegal. Well, except that they aren't illegal, but Romney sure does seem like he thinks that is a good idea.

www.foxnews.com...

We of course don't want to have automatic weapons, and that's already illegal in this country to have automatic weapons.

So gun lovers, what do you think? Are you clinging to those automatic weapons yet? Are you even a little concerned that Romney thinks that banning automatic weapons is a good idea and that he thinks that they are already illegal?

What's that you say? He mis-spoke again? Well, it looks like he must have mis-signed a bill while Governor as well.

www.chicagotribune.com...

In 2004, as the governor of Massachusetts, Romney signed into law a ban on the sale of some assault weapons in the state.

So for all the people that are scared that Obama will take away their guns, they are about to vote for a guy who has actually done it at the state level.

For some odd reason, I don't think many right wingers are going to call Romney on this. I'm betting we see a lot of people defending him. Funny how politics make you abandon your beliefs and support something that you are usually hell bent against.

So what do you say gun lovers, are you going to defend Romney on this one?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
It's ironic how all the right wingers were freaking out really thinking that Obama was going to try and take their guns, when he hasn't touched one piece of anti-gun legislation.

They haven't figured out that it was a propaganda campaign induced the the NRA (corporate gun lobby) to encourage them to purchase more guns out of paranoia. And it sure did work.....

Republicans have had their fair share of voting on PRO-gun control legislation

In 1969, journalist William Safire asked Richard Nixon what he thought about gun control. "Guns are an abomination," Nixon replied. According to Safire, Nixon went on to confess that, "Free from fear of gun owners' retaliation at the polls, he favored making handguns illegal and requiring licenses for hunting rifles."

It was President George Bush, Sr. who banned the import of "assault weapons" in 1989, and promoted the view that Americans should only be allowed to own weapons suitable for "sporting purposes."

It was Governor Ronald Reagan of California who signed the Mulford Act in 1967, "prohibiting the carrying of firearms on one's person or in a vehicle, in any public place or on any public street." The law was aimed at stopping the Black Panthers, but affected all gun owners.

Twenty-four years later, Reagan was still pushing gun control. "I support the Brady Bill," he said in a March 28, 1991 speech, "and I urge the Congress to enact it without further delay."

One of the most aggressive gun control advocates today is Republican mayor Rudolph Giuliani of New York City, whose administration sued 26 gun manufacturers in June 2000, and whose police commissioner, Howard Safir, proposed a nationwide plan for gun licensing, complete with yearly "safety" inspections.

Another Republican, New York State Governor George Pataki, on August 10, 2000, signed into law what The New York Times called "the nation’s strictest gun controls," a radical program mandating trigger locks, background checks at gun shows and "ballistic fingerprinting" of guns sold in the state. It also raised the legal age to buy a handgun to 21 and banned "assault weapons," the sale or possession of which would now be punishable by seven years in prison.

In the Senate, the story is much the same, but the senators' votes are on record, and we can see in no-uncertain terms that the Republicans supported the assault weapons ban just as much as the democrats. Here's how the actual vote went down:

Number of Democrats voting for the AWB: 50/53 (94.3%)
Number of Republicans voting for the AWB: 45/47 (95.7%)

bsalert.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
It would be hard to be less anti-gun than Obama. It has clearly been an issue he has no intrest in pushing, Romney does have more of an anti-gun history but, Romney has pretty much taken his entire history and tossed it out to be remade into what he is now. Either way it really does not matter as the issue has no support in congress either. The only people scared are the NRA who have no boogie man to scare its members into sending them more money with.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by 3chainz

It's ironic and hilarious.

I almost hope Romney gets elected and then signs gun regulations.

Notice how no right winger is touching this topic, they don't know how to respond, the talking heads haven't covered this yet and given them their talking points.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

It's amazing, isn't it?

Romney is trying to use his past as a governor as an asset to run on. Oh, but by the way, everything I did as governor was wrong and I have changed all my positions since then.

And people are voting for him, hilarious.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Romney is Pro NRA....not Obama, the reason for Fast and Furious!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by nighthawk1954
Romney is Pro NRA....not Obama, the reason for Fast and Furious!

Fast and Furious helped the corporate gun lobby, more gun sales!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 3chainz

NRA RAMPS UP ATTACKS ON OBAMA...

The National Rifle Association, jumping on President Obama's new and firm support for a Clinton-style assault weapons ban, is stepping up its attack on the president in Ohio, Virginia, Florida and Wisconsin with a new "we told you so" theme.

David Keene, president of the NRA, told Secrets, "the president has ratified what we have been saying" in ads and mailings to pro-gun voters. "See, he peeked out and finally said what he wants," said Keene.

In his 2008 campaign and while president, Obama has distanced himself from gun issues, aware that it could hurt him politically in key battleground states. But when pressed about gun violence during the Tuesday town hall-style presidential debate, he fully embraced a Clinton-style assault weapons ban. Clinton's ban expired in 2004.

Obama hints at handgun restrictions too October 17, 2012 By Paul Bedard
washingtonexaminer.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Honestly, I couldn't care less about automatic weapons. They're so heavily regulated as to be out of reach for the average buyer. Although not technically banned, they may as well be, because most people can't afford them.

As for the gun bill Romney signed, it didn't ban anything that wasn't already banned by the Massachusetts legislature back in 1998. These guys argue it was actually a positive for Massachusetts gun owners.

Granted, I don't completely trust him on the issue. That said, there's only one candidate who has flatly stated he wants a new assault weapons ban during this campaign. It wasn't Romney, either. In this case, I'd rather take the chance that Romney *might* curb gun rights rather than vote for a guy who openly admits that he wants to.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 3chainz

soon to be that you can only buy ammunition face to face.
also closing the gun show loophole.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Ok - definition time.

Automatic weapon - It fires many bullets per squeeze of the trigger without any other action from the shooter. This can vary from a burst (typically 3 bullets at a time) to however many bullets the magazine will hold. aka - a machine gun.

Semi-automatic weapon - It fires 1 bullet per each pull of the trigger without any other action by the shooter.

To use the example - an AK-47 can be automatic or semi-auto. Many military versions have a selector to determine the mode of fire. Civilian versions are strictly semi-auto.

It is *very* difficult for an civilian to pass all the qualifications and fees to get the amount of licensing required for a fully automatic weapon.

How difficult? Most gun dealers can't do it.

Here is the short version - Federal Firearms Regulations

Federal Firearms Regulations

It has been unlawful since 1934 (The National Firearms Act) for civilians to own machine guns without special permission from the U.S. Treasury Department. Machine guns are subject to a $200 tax every time their ownership changes from one federally registered owner to another, and each new weapon is subject to a manufacturing tax when it is made, and it must be registered with the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives (ATF) in its National Firearms Registry.

To become a registered owner, a complete FBI background investigation is conducted, checking for any criminal history or tendencies toward violence, and an application must be submitted to the ATF including two sets of fingerprints, a recent photo, a sworn affidavit that transfer of the NFA firearm is of "reasonable necessity," and that sale to and possession of the weapon by the applicant "would be consistent with public safety." The application form also requires the signature of a chief law enforcement officer with jurisdiction in the applicant's residence.

Since the Firearms Owners' Protection Act of May 19, 1986, ownership of newly manufactured machine guns has been prohibited to civilians. Machine guns which were manufactured prior to the Act's passage are regulated under the National Firearms Act, but those manufactured after the ban cannot ordinarily be sold to or owned by civilians.

Most people, including the candidates, the media and the even many posters here on ATS don't know the laws and the definitions and / or simply want to spin what was said by both candidates to fit their own points of view.

Shocking - I know. But what can ya do..

Bottom line - Semi Auto and Auto are different types of weapons. Some weapons can be either, depending. Technically, it is legal (in very rare) cases to have a fully automatic weapon. But, it is very difficult to the point of being impossible for the average citizen to legally own one. How many sheriff's or police chiefs are gonna sign off on someone owning a machine gun? Semi-Auto weapons are a different story and are not that hard to obtain.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by alternateuniverse

I don't think you're understanding how this works. The NRA goes and sends emails to their zombie members about how Obama is gonna try to take your guns. The zombies then go purchase a whole lotta guns and donate money to the NRA. This happened in 08, after the fast n furious scandal broke, and after the aurora mass shooting.

NRA Sought Donations in Days After Colorado Shootings

Three days after a gunman calling himself the Joker from the Batman series shot dead 12 people in a suburban Denver movie theater, the National Rifle Association sent out a letter asking for money. “The future of your Second Amendment rights will be at stake,” the letter said. “And nothing less than the future of our country and our freedom will be at stake.”

The four-page solicitation from NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre was sent to drum up funds to underwrite an advertising and grassroots campaign to defeat President Barack Obama and elect gun-rights supporters in Congress.

www.businessweek.com...

Why would Obama be pro NRA? They constantly attack him for no reason.

The NRA corrupt lobbyist garbage, if republicans really felt so pressed on the 2nd amendment they wouldn't need the NRA to pay them off in order to vote a certain way.

edit on 17-10-2012 by 3chainz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Why aren't you addressing Romney being the only person in this election race that has actually signed a gun ban?

I love watching you trying to spin out of it, but it would be nice to see someone address it instead of just outrigh ignoring it.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3chainz

I don't think you're understanding how this works. The NRA goes and sends emails to their zombie members about how Obama is gonna try to take your guns. The zombies then go purchase a whole lotta guns and donate money to the NRA. This happened in 08, after the fast n furious scandal broke, and after the aurora mass shooting.

NRA Sought Donations in Days After Colorado Shootings

Three days after a gunman calling himself the Joker from the Batman series shot dead 12 people in a suburban Denver movie theater, the National Rifle Association sent out a letter asking for money. “The future of your Second Amendment rights will be at stake,” the letter said. “And nothing less than the future of our country and our freedom will be at stake.”

The four-page solicitation from NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre was sent to drum up funds to underwrite an advertising and grassroots campaign to defeat President Barack Obama and elect gun-rights supporters in Congress.

www.businessweek.com...

Why would Obama be pro NRA? They constantly attack him for no reason.

The NRA corrupt lobbyist garbage, if republicans really felt so pressed on the 2nd amendment they wouldn't need the NRA to pay them off in order to vote a certain way.

edit on 17-10-2012 by 3chainz because: (no reason given)

Spoken like a Real observer

Could be your on to something.

Makes some sense ... about the money connections.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Bad thing is Romney's running mate is bow hunter.
Sorry he will be no help in stopping Mitt from taking your guns.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Open Ended Question For All:

Clinton was not anti-gun his first term, but was heavily anti-gun his second term. Obama does not convince me he is pro-second amendment. A 2nd term Obama will take away your guns (period); Especially given this economic recovery is as slow as it is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, a second Obama term will take away guns?
edit on 18-10-2012 by alternateuniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Correct me if I'm wrong, a second Obama term will take away guns?

Really? Where did you hear that from? The NRA?

You are wrong, your statement has no basis in reality whatsoever. Do you guys just make up fantasies in your head that are anti-Obama?

And why do you keep ignoring that Romney has signed legislation to ban guns, when Obama never has. Romney is the more anti-gun candidate.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Who cares they will never get our guns the point is moot.
edit on 18-10-2012 by popcornmafia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by HostileApostle

So gun lovers, what do you think? Are you clinging to those automatic weapons yet? Are you even a little concerned that Romney thinks that banning automatic weapons is a good idea and that he thinks that they are already illegal?

You’re really grasping at straws here!

What’s wrong? Things aren’t looking so good for Obama these days, huh?

Automatic weapons are illegal for most people today, so Romney was right. You have to have a federal license to own an automatic weapon today and very few people have this license. It is OBAMA, not Romney, who wants to ban assault weapons (semi-automatic weapons) which are totally legal to own and are available at any gun store today.

President Obama tonight said he’s interested in seeing an assault weapons ban reintroduced, breaking his silence on the legislation, which has persisted in spite of at least five mass shootings during his term.

…..weapons that were designed for soldiers in war theaters don’t belong on our streets. And so what I’m trying to do is to get a broader conversation about how do we reduce the violence generally. Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced.
link

edit on 18-10-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Romney knows more about weapons than Obama.
Both know little about automatic weapons.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join