It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charity President Infuriated By Paul Ryan’s Little Faux Soup Kitchen Stunt

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Charity President Infuriated By Paul Ryan’s Little Faux Soup Kitchen Stunt

So Paul Ryan makes a campaign quickie stop at a soup kitchen in Youngstown, Ohio. He blasts in long after the lunch time crowd had departed, grabs a clean pot off the shelf, throws some soap and water in it and "cleans" it - while getting the prerequisite photos - then blasts out of there before anyone can say two words about it.

In the process, he manages to infuriate the soup kitchen's operator, who states he wished to keep his operation 'apolitical' since it is entirely funded by private donations.

“We’re a faith-based organization; we are apolitical because the majority of our funding is from private donations,” Antal said in a phone interview Monday afternoon. “It’s strictly in our bylaws not to do it. They showed up there, and they did not have permission. They got one of the volunteers to open up the doors.” (Brian J. Antal, president of the Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society)

Upon entering the soup kitchen, Ryan, his wife and three young children greeted and thanked several volunteers, then donned white aprons and offered to clean some dishes. Photographers snapped photos and TV cameras shot footage of Ryan and his family washing pots and pans that did not appear to be dirty.

The staffers who let him in also now claim they feel he tricked them, when his advance team stated he wanted to come in and talk to their clientele, and instead he came in when no one was there and proceeded with his fake photo-op.

From Ryan's Soup kitchen visit goes awry:

A volunteer at the soup kitchen, Juanita Sherba, told the Youngstown Vindicator that she gave a staffer from the campaign permission to conduct the visit before Ryan arrived, but said in hindsight she wishes she hadn't because the event was a "photo op." "They couldn't have cared less," Sherba said. "The advance man said Paul Ryan wanted to come and talk to our clientele, but he didn't."

This whole photo-op in a soup kitchen is a measure of desperation.

Paul Ryan Scrubs Already Washed Soup-Kitchen Pots Because That’s How Much He Cares
(nymag.com)

At least the stunt provided yet another opportunity for a viral meme to make the rounds...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I would call anyone who is surprised by this a complete and utter moron. Atleast Barry can pretend to be a great bloke but Mitt and Paul are about as obviously fake as a Chinese Rolex.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I like to keep my opinions apolitical too! I hate them all. This type of thing really ought to be on all the news channels, and it ought to be equal for all candidates from all parties. It has always happened, and it always will, but it is a clue to the dishonest nature of all politicians. If they'll lie about something as mundane as dishes, how are we supposed to trust them with our lives in Iraq and Afghanistan? If they will lie about a protest at an Embassy, and flip flop from riot, to terrorist, to assassination, to religion, then how are we supposed to believe anything out of their administration?

Personally, I will be voting for all anti-incumbents and preferably people I have never heard of. If I recognize their name, they probably are not getting my vote.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Apolitical my arse!
Probably worried about his tax status.
That is nothing but phony outrage, just like Obama getting "offended" by Romney's charges of procrastination/coverup over LibyaGate.

Q: Why does he refer to the Ryan bunch as "they"?
A: Because "we" means Democrat.

Maybe Candy will report on this tonight?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Dear Blackmarketeer,

My apologies, I'm in a really @#$ mood.

This was posted and debunked here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
The thing that gets me about this is who are the morons who are setting this stuff up. Ryan for one shows himself to be not the tea party hero but just another shill. But the guys who set up this photo op. How did they expect this from NOT becoming an embarrassment. How did they not expect Stewart and Colbert and everyone else from not only seeing through the charade, but having enough infor to sing it from the mountain top. Simply amazing.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

Dear Blackmarketeer,

My apologies, I'm in a really @#$ mood.

This was posted and debunked here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

With respect,
Charles1952

I see the posting but NOT the debunking.

Your source says he turned up for a few minutes.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

In your zeal to proclaim it "debunked" you overlooked that the charity president's initial comments were based only on his assumption the pots/pans were dirty - he has in fact come out, as well as those workers who were present - to state the dishes were CLEAN.

BTW still running 24/7 damage control for Team Romney/Ryan, I see.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Apparently you overlooked the owner's comments that he is a "faith-based" charity with many conservative donors. Ryan tried to pull off a crass and self-serving photo-op without permission of the charity's operator.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Dear Blackmarketeer,

Speaking Tuesday morning with NBC News, Antal said he was not on-site when Ryan was at the soup kitchen and attributes his earlier comments that the dishes were clean when Ryan washed them to hearing the details second-hand from a volunteer.
From the same source.

So we have a guy who said yesterday morning that he had wrong information before and he's trying to clear it up. Yesterday morning he said they were dirty. Have you got anything newer saying they were clean?

(By the way, why is this important?)

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Watch the video, see for yourself - the kitchen is clean, the pans were clean, he only set it up to appear like he was doing something.

VIDEO

The kitchen was practically spotless and clearly NOT in the aftermath of serving a lunch/dinner. As the title says, a "Faux Soup Kitchen Stunt".

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
So we have a guy who said yesterday morning that he had wrong information before and he's trying to clear it up. Yesterday morning he said they were dirty. Have you got anything newer saying they were clean?

Are you defending someone who made a statement with the information he was given, only to find the information was wrong?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer and BritofTexas

Dear Gentlemen,

I really should have been more clear, sorry.

At some time in the past, Antal said the dishes were clean. Yesterday morning he said that statement was incorrect and based on second-hand information. To clear up the confusion caused by his first statement he said the dishes were indeed dirty.

In response to questions about Antal’s comments to the Washington Post that Ryan “did nothing” while at the soup kitchen, Antal said his words were mischaracterized. He told NBC News in that Ryan did very little work only compared to the larger context of Saturday morning, when the kitchen fed 180 homeless people breakfast. Antal conceded that Ryan did wash several dirty dishes.

Yes, I watched the video. They showed the sides and bottoms of the pans and not the insides. The video gave no indication of what had been in the pans. When a kitchen puts out food for people to come up and take, it is placed in steamer pans. There is no reason for the sides or bottoms of the pans we saw to be dirty on the outsides. That is standard procedure, I've done it myself dozens of times.

The insides could have been dirty, or they could have been clean, but there is no evidence they were clean and Antal says they were dirty. So the only evidence presented here are Antal's statements, I believe him. Any evidence showing they were clean? Not from the video.

I may still be confusing you, but I hope not.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

"10 people served 180 persons" - now take a long hard look at that kitchen when Ryan shows up - it is spotless. ALL the cleaning was DONE. Two people in the background are wiping down tops of tables. All the pots/pans and trays are already racked. The only thing left out were a couple pans left in the sink - see below for why:

Juanita Sherba, St. Vincent’s Saturday coordinator for the dining hall, said she gave the Ryan campaign approval that day for the visit by the candidate and his family.

Sherba say she now realizes it wasn’t her call to make.

The event “was a photo op,” she said. “It was the phoniest piece of baloney I’ve ever been associated with. In hindsight, I would have never let him in the door.”

When an advance person from the Mitt Romney/Ryan campaign asked about the visit, Sherba said it took her by surprise.

“I didn’t know it was my place to say ‘no,’” she said. “I made a mistake.”

The event was completely staged by the campaign, she said.

“They couldn’t have cared less,” Sherba said. “The advance man said Paul Ryan wanted to come and talk to our clientele, but he didn’t.”

Here she blows the lid off this faux stunt:

She said she was told Ryan would talk with the society’s clientele, but he arrived so late that breakfast was over for quite some time.

Volunteers started to clean up, she said, when a Ryan campaign staff member asked them to leave some pots and pans unwashed so the VP nominee and his family could do something when he arrived.

“We just wanted to come by and say, ‘Thanks,’” Ryan said to a few volunteers who stayed behind Saturday. “This is what makes society go.”

Despite some media reports, Sherba said Ryan and his family washed a few dirty pots and pans, but it wasn’t necessary.

“It was all about him coming in and doing dishes for publicity,” Sherba said. “We had to save dishes. We would have gone home by the time he arrived. We didn’t need him to do the dishes. It was getting late, and I said that we were closing in five minutes. I waited longer than that, and he finally arrived.”

(source: Youngstown News: Soup kitchen visit by Ryan stirs anger

Faux Soup Kitchen Stunt.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Dear Blackmarketeer,

What?

With an OP, and other posts, insisting that Ryan washed clean dishes, you quote and emphasize something that disproves that point?

Volunteers started to clean up, she said, when a Ryan campaign staff member asked them to leave some pots and pans unwashed so the VP nominee and his family could do something when he arrived.
So, we've finally reached the point where we are agreed that Ryan washed dirty dishes, fine.

If you want to claim that a politician's photo-op is set up and artificial, I'll agree with you. They pretty much all are. Obama's had his as well. Sure, they're staged. Did you think the campaign was hoping people would believe that Ryan, after leaving a public appearance, and on a schedule, would spend a couple of hours with a mop?

Staged? Yeah. So?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
They were asked to leave those dishes (pans actually) there, by one of Ryan's staffers. They had been soaking in that sink long past the time the staff would have cleaned up on their own. The kitchen was already clean. The pans in question had already apparently soaked so long they were clean. Look at the video. The cameraman stated he appeared to be cleaning already clean pans.

The entire stunt was, as the day director said, a piece of baloney done for the publicity. But as always, I'm amazed at the depth some will go to defend it. Next thing you know, Ryan will be strapping on a helmet and driving a tank.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Phony outrage meant to distract from Benghazi, "necessarily" high gas prices, high unemployment, lowered GDP, increasing drone strikes, the NDA, The Patriot Act, racial division and a litany of failed "green energy" investments.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Even if the pots were dirty, I wash worse dishes every day. I flat out guarantee you, this was the first time that fella has done any dishes in a long time. Already clean or not.

How shallow can you be, to show up for a few minutes and look busy for the cameras? Absolute joke.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
It's the same MO as Romney. Remember the miners who were told by their bosses they HAD to go to a photo-op with Romney UNPAID? After the flap and truth came out, the company changed its' tune and claimed their miners did NOT have to go?

And Romney showed up out of the blue at a local machine shop 30 miles away - a decidedly Democratic area and Democratic employees PWND by decidedly Republican CEOs.

The two of them win the Smells Like Cheesey Award for being so blatantly chameleon.
edit on 18/10/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Staged? Yeah. So?

With respect,
Charles1952

So you agree it was staged? Who tf cares if they were dirty dishes or not? Staged = insincere, which is what the Romney/Ryan ticket is all about. This was planned for a photo op to make it look like Ryan cares - it was purely political. Just admit it's not good for them.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join