It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charity President Infuriated By Paul Ryan’s Little Faux Soup Kitchen Stunt

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Now you can see why the operator of the charity wanted to keep his institution 'apolitical'.

Soup Kitchen In Paul Ryan Photo-Op Faces Donor Backlash

WASHINGTON -- In the wake of Rep. Paul Ryan's embarrassing soup kitchen photo-op last week, the organization that runs the facility tells The Huffington Post that donors have begun pulling their money out of the Youngstown, Ohio charity.

Ryan may have suffered a few late-night jokes, but the fallout for the soup kitchen appears to be far more bruising. Brian J. Antal, president of the Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society, confirmed that donors have begun an exodus in protest over Ryan's embarrassment. The monetary losses have been big. "It appears to be a substantial amount," Antal said. "You can rest assured there has been a substantial backlash."

Antal says he can't give an actual dollar amount. "I can't say how much [in] donations we lost," he said. "Donations are a private matter with our organization."

Ryan supporters have now targeted Antal and his soup kitchen, Antal said, including making hundreds of angry phone calls. Some members of Antal's volunteer staff have had to endure the barrage as well, he said. "The sad part is a lot of [the callers] want to hide behind anonymity," he said, adding that if someone leaves their name and number he has tried to return their call. In addition to phone calls, people have posted a few choice words on the charity's Facebook wall, including statements like "I hope you lose your tax [sic] emempt status," Anyone who is thinking about donations to you should think twice" and "Shame on you Brian Antal!"

On the phone with HuffPost, Antal seemed worn out by all the vitriol. "Honesty, I really don't need any more attention," he said. "I really just want this to go away."

Comments;
"Paul Ryan does a drive-by a charity and leaves it in ruins by his supporters."

"THEY (the charity) didn't do the wrong thing - THEY went about their exemplary service quietly - and were hijacked by fraudsters.

They didn't like it - said so - and are now being pilloried - by bullies."

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
What kind of piece of garbage stages a dishwashing scene and then proceeds to ignore the dirty pots in favor of scrubbing the clean ones?

Jesus, Paul! You couldn't bring yourself to wash one dam pot?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by lewman
I would call anyone who is surprised by this a complete and utter moron. Atleast Barry can pretend to be a great bloke but Mitt and Paul are about as obviously fake as a Chinese Rolex.

Too true my friend. And this is why my mind has been blown regarding Romney and Ryan. How could so many people be buying into this nonsense? And by nonsense I mean their entire presidential campaign. It is just facepalm material. Even if one doesn't like Obama, like me, Romney is going to do the same thing the Republican Bush was in office...Things that make the wealthy wealthier, MAYBE doing something for the masses if it is convenient, or if he needs a boost in the approval rating. Rep.s had 8 years to do something, and did nothing but run this country into the ground.

We were looking pretty good when Clinton left office, but Bush ruined that. Obama really is not doing that bad of a job, as so many Republicans keep parroting from Fox News. He is actually doing much better than Bush in my opinion, especially considering he is trying to fix systems that have been broken for a long time. Like healthcare. Anyway, what Ryan did in this kitchen is unbelievable, and goes to show his mindset, and the mindset of his family and campaign people...

They think they basically can do whatever they want. They lied their way in, and then basically USED these people to make themselves look good. Or to make HIM look good. Can you believe that this man doesn't care for people in the least little bit? Romney is the same way, exactly. So why in the world would you elect him president?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by redtic

Staged? Yeah. So?

With respect,
Charles1952

So you agree it was staged? Who tf cares if they were dirty dishes or not? Staged = insincere, which is what the Romney/Ryan ticket is all about. This was planned for a photo op to make it look like Ryan cares - it was purely political. Just admit it's not good for them.

All of the campaigns do it. Both sides cherry pick and try to say "look, he's doing something bad, HE'S INSINCERE, my candidate's better!". It's not like this is the first time a photo op has been staged by either campaign, so I agree "Yeah, so?"

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I was born in Youngstown. And let me tell you something about Youngstown: Every single presidential election, both candidates give speeches in front of the same ruined steel mill. They promise to bring jobs back to Youngstown and rebuild it to its former glory. They say that they won't forget us, but they always do. It's insulting, but we've learned to live with it. This stunt, however, takes it a step further. I consider it a slap in the face to every person from Mahoning Valley. Frankly, I don't care who did it and which party they were representing. (Believe me, I would be just as angry if it was the other side.)

Youngstown has been a bad place for a long time. In some (most) parts of the city, it's almost like a warzone. When I was still working there, we had to have a police presence in the parking lot since patients were being held at gunpoint for their oxy scripts. Once, a woman with a knife assaulted my office manager for no apparent reason, and another time a man with a gun made off with one of our script books. And that wasn't even in the "bad" end of town.

Youngstown really does need help. It isn't that we haven't tried to make it a better place, but honestly, we're outnumbered. We need intervention. We need something. The only thing keeping the region afloat is the GM Lordstown plant. As soon as that's closed, that's it. Game over. Youngstown has been in a downward spiral ever since the steel mills closed. When there's nothing left for people to hope for -- no reason to look forward to the future and better their lives -- they just don't care and everything goes to crap.

Maybe you can even say that Youngstown is a metaphor for what this country has to look forward to.

Still, no matter how bad Youngstown gets, it's still full of people who have been surviving through the worst of it. They don't deserve to be fooled than insulted like that.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Thats reeeeaaaaalllly sad.

I understand if you have a fast paced schedule that there is a lot to get done but seriously? posing as if you're volunteering at a soup kitchen and not even bothering to do the job?

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by VariableConstant

I am not giving Ryan a hard time for staging a photo.

You are right that staging a photo is dishonest and misleading, but politicians as a whole are dishonest and misleading. Obama, Romney, Biden, Ryan... all lying dirt bags.

However, the real story here is not Ryan staging a photo, it is Ryan getting caught. It is kind of like the guy in the NFL that flunks a steroid test or the guy on the freeway that gets a ticket for going 5 miles per hour over the speed limit. While this story confirms my suspicions that Ryan is just another lying dirt bag politician, it does not necessarily make me feel Obama or anybody else is any better.

I know "everybody's doing it" is not a defense, but it makes dishonest and misleading behavior a little less outragious when one considers the person committing the behavior is up against others who are doing the same thing.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join