It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A solar flare to dwarf the Earth...Oct 14th 2012

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
My friend,

reply to post by ElectricUniverse

I am trying to follow this great discussion as I know pretty much nothing about it and I am trying to learn.

The thing that is preventing me from enjoying it is your constant abuse being thrown towards Phage. If you learn to debate the subject and not each other in nonsensical tones then I, and everyone else will feel welcome here.

Like this post

Saying -

You still can't understand and get it through your thick head that FLUCTUATIONS both up and down in the activity of the Sun, and other sources, do have an affect on Earth's climate and other natural phenomenon including volcanic and magmatic activity...

Just sayin

Be safe be well

Spiro

edit on 17-10-2012 by Spiro because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

I've seen this same argument between the same people many times.
Always a pleasure

For further reading I recommend this thread.
ATS Thread date 06/08/2011 - Spoiler: there was no earthquake.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Apparently we have nothing worry about with this comet. This video talks about what is going on. Hope it is true.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

I'm confused by it though, high solar activity can cause quakes but so can low solar activity?

The two points contradict each other, wouldn't we be riddled with earthquakes all the time then? The sun is either active or it's not... Wait, the earth is already constantly shaking... Must be the sun

I can understand Phages point here, using the above reasoning, turning the kettle on could be causing earthquakes... It's too ambiguous.

There needs to be specific quakes caused by specific solar events.

Otherwise we get stuck with people claiming that a big quake, like Japan last year was due to low solar activity and in the same breath claiming some big quake was caused by high solar activity. Both could be true but there would be different mechanics to it, surely.

Need something more concrete.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by SarnholeOntarable
Very insightful debate...good argue
...can I add this as evidence?helios.izmiran.rssi.ru...

I am enjoying this tug-o-war so much with my morning coffee...(almost as good as last night's presidential debate)! However, I am still not convinced either way because there is still so much we do not understand without more testing and observation, and in this field of study there is always new discoveries that impact the "latest" theories. But go ahead guys....keep debating...I'm learning as much as I'm entertained!

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The Earth's liquid outer core is composed of nearly pure iron and nickel,

This is a mere hypothesis. There is no evidence whatsoever concerning this THEORY, yet you state it as a fact.

Stop stating theories as facts. Especially when you try to lecture other people.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I am 13 miles away from the quake that went off next to Hollis Maine. I live in Biddeford lol, So it as kinda close to us. Our newly developed building swayed.

The weird thing is the phones went out, And although radiationnetwork.com... said the radiation levels were low(Maybe I need a new website to monitor it). I was wondering if the CME's had anything to do with the quake, Or even the cell phones going out. We couldn't call for hours.

Another question, Could it have been a meteor?
www.meteorscan.com... - I've been watching this for awhile, It's showed increased activity in meteors (At least it looks like it has due to the data). Could it have been a meteor that hit hollis?

Some people in waterboro said they felt a boom prior to the rumble...

Is this normal for the solar activity?

How much is a space suit LOL

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

Isn't most scientific theory to be taken as fact until disproven? Usually for something to qualify as a theory it has to be tested rigorously and hold it's own. Some guy didn't just spontaneously decide, "hurp durp inertia lolz," just as some guy didn't randomly come to the conclusion, "lolz nickel iron core roflz."

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by RobertF

How many peer reviewed papers on the subject of geomagnetics have you authored?

On Solar activity and earthquakes? Just the one here on ATS. Reviewed by my peers.
How'd you like it?

Is that a joke? Please tell me this is a joke...
Is it supposed to be impressive?

The internet is full of those individuals you see walking around Wal-Mart.

Anyways, how can the earth no be effected by solar flares? Solar flares rip through the very fabric of our atmosphere. Solar flares can reach all the way down to the ozone layer, which is located in the stratosphere.
The stratosphere is affected by very little convection. That is the question we should be asking. Is the solar flare enough to effect the convection in our stratosphere?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You should be praised for the way you keep your calm when dealing with situations like this

Anyway, these photos were taken a few days ago by a friend of mine standing on Whitehaven harbour which is on the far north west coast of England, overlooking the Irish sea/Solway firth and Scotland. Never seen an aurora so bright round here. Do you think it is connected with the OP?

Image credit: Adrian Strand

edit on 17/10/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

A solar flare to dwarf the Earth...

That is the topic, not individual members.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

How many peer reviewed papers on the subject of geomagnetics have you authored?

On Solar activity and earthquakes? Just the one here on ATS. Reviewed by my peers.
How'd you like it?

Haven't read it. Although I will now.

But in all honesty will not place much credence in it due to the simple fact that it was "reviewed" by peers on a anonymous website with no credible scientific backing.

Yet...

NS is an openly accessible and peer-reviewed journal.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SarnholeOntarable
Very insightful debate...good argue
...can I add this as evidence?helios.izmiran.rssi.ru...

Are you being sarcastic? The one poster is personally attacking the other in almost every post.
But I guess it has been insightful, I learned that the sun does NOT cause earthquakes.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

No. The CMEs were not Earth directed. The geomagnetic activity was caused by the fast solar wind from the coronal hole.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join