It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A solar flare to dwarf the Earth...Oct 14th 2012

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

On Sunday, a sunspot labeled AR1593 unleashed an impressive eruption on the surface of the sun that highlights the massive scale of the universe. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory recorded a glowing light bulb-like billowing tower of plasma that was more than 100,000 miles across. To put the size of this eruption in perspective, the circumference of the Earth at the equator is 25,000 miles, and if you dug a tunnel at the equator that went straight down through the center of the Earth, the tunnel would be just around 8,000 miles long.

news.cnet.com/2300-11386_3-10014211.html

Didn't come up on the search...
100,000 miles across is impressive though! Definitely a spectacular sight to see. I didn't see anywhere if it was directed towards earth but I'm curious to know...Did this have any effect on the Boston quakes?????

edit on 17-10-2012 by johngrissom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
If it was pointed towards Earth, what could be the consequences of getting hit by that?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsychoReaper4
If it was pointed towards Earth, what could be the consequences of getting hit by that?

Obviously the end of civilisation, the planet will overheat and then explode releasing 7 billion people hurdling towards the Kuiper belt which then would knock asteroids and comets out of their orbits.. The people with astronaut suits will swim their way through space until they eventually reach Gliese b where they will settle in and start new... They are the only hope for humanity and good luck to them

The truth is probably nothing BTW.. Maybe a great show at both poles. Anyway, Its the 17th where I am, has this already passed?
edit on 17-10-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

I dont know if it has passed yet, but peeps on the tube you are saying the effects will be felt now. Around the same time the Boston quakes went off. There is hardly any info on this one. Which is strange.

+11 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
First, what you are seeing in the videos are CMEs, not solar flares.

Second, the CMEs associated with the M class flares on the 8th, 9th, and 10th were not Earth directed and had no effect on Earth.

Third, there was some minor geomagnetic storming on the 13/14th. It was the result of the fast solar wind originating from the Earth facing coronal hole.

Forth, the earthquake was in Maine, not Boston.

Fifth, there is no reason to expect geomagnetic activity to produce earthquakes.
edit on 10/17/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
First, what you are seeing in the videos are CMEs, not solar flares.

Second, the CMEs associated with the M class flares on the 8th, 9th, and 10th were not Earth directed and had no effect on Earth.

Third, there was some minor geomagnetic storming on the 13/14th. It was the result of the fast solar wind originating from the Earth facing coronal hole.

Forth, the earthquake was in Maine, not Boston.

Fifth, there is no reason to expect geomagnetic activity to produce earthquakes.

I like this fellow.. he seems to have his # together..

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I have to question your #5.

Do you have proof that a strong magnetic anomy originating out side of earths atmosphere, would not cause a disturbance in our geomagnetic patterns? If it could cause disturbances in our geomagnetic patterns then would it not cause fluctuations in our plate tectonics and in the earths core as well?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by RobertF

Do you have proof that a strong magnetic anomy originating out side of earths atmosphere, would not cause a disturbance in our geomagnetic patterns?

By definition geomagnetic activity is a disturbance of Earth's magnetic field.

If it could cause disturbances in our geomagnetic patterns then would it not cause fluctuations in our plate tectonics and in the earths core as well?
Why would it? The Earth's magnetic field is actually quite weak. A refrigerator magnet is more than 100 times stronger than the Earth's magnetic field. How would it affect plate tectonics? The Earth's liquid outer core is composed of nearly pure iron and nickel, 1,800 miles beneath the crust. Between it and the crust is the mantle which is in a more or less solid state. Between the mantle and the crust is a very thin layer, parts of which consist of magma. Magma, is not magnetic. Even if it were high in magnetic materials it is far too hot. As is the mantle. As is the core. See "Curie point".

But then, there is the empirical evidence. If solar activity had any influence on earthquakes there should be some correlation between the two. There doesn't seem to be. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

That's what YOU keep claiming, but I have demonstrated time and again with dozens upon dozens of peer-reviewed scientific papers that geomagnetic activity, and in general magnetic activity from other sources in space do have an affect on earthquakes and other natural phenomenon...

For example...

SCIENCE WITHOUT BORDERS. Transactions of the International Academy of Science H & E.
Vol.3. 2007/2008, SWB, Innsbruck, 2008 ISBN 978-9952-451-01-6 ISSN 2070-0334
ABOUT POSSIBLE INFLUENCE OF SOLAR ACTIVITY UPON SEISMIC AND VOLCANIC ACTIVITIES: LONG-TERM FORECAST

*Khain V.E., **Khalilov E.N.
*Moscow State University named after M.V.Lomonosov,
**International Academy of Science H&E (Austria, Innsbruck)

It has been determined that in the period of solar activity increase (11-year
cycles) there increase seismic and volcanic activities in the compression zone of
Earth and at the same time there decreases the activity in the tension zones of Earth.
On the basis of the discovered stable 11-year and 22-year cyclicalities in the seismic and volcanic activities and their high correlation with solar activity there has been made the long-term forecast until 2018. The next maximum of seismic and volcanic activity with very high amplitude for the compression zones of Earth is forecasted for the period 2012-2015.

www.khalilov.biz...

BTW, if you want to know who Elchin Khalilov (Khalilov E.N.) is here are a few facts that anyone can corroborate...

Dr.Prof. Elchin Khalilov (Azerbaijani: Elçin Xəlilov (born On April, 26th 1959, Baku, Azerbaijan) is a famous scientist in the sphere of geodynamics, seismology and tectonics.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 17-10-2012 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Yes.
Those contradictory papers which require statistical gymnastics to prove what the researchers want to prove when the raw data shows no correlation. Peer review does not equal correct (or would you like to discuss the peer reviewed work on AGW)?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Yes.
Those contradictory papers which require statistical gymnastics to prove what the researchers want to prove when the raw data shows no correlation. Peer review does not equal correct.

No, it is you who can't understand those papers, and instead you come up with your own thesis which is completely wrong as it uses your wrong assumptions and lack of knowledge in the topic...

You still can't understand and get it through your thick head that FLUCTUATIONS both up and down in the activity of the Sun, and other sources, do have an affect on Earth's climate and other natural phenomenon including volcanic and magmatic activity...

I remember a few years back you kept claiming "there would be no mayor changes in the volcanic or magmatic activity on Earth" yet the contrary has occurred...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

I understand the papers quite well thank you.
Peer review does not equal correct (or would you like to discuss the peer reviewed work on AGW)?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

I understand the papers quite well thank you.
Peer review does not equal correct (or would you like to discuss the peer reviewed work on AGW)?

Trying to go off tangent again are you?... Nice try... You are still not a scientist, and you are still showing a complete lack of knowledge in this topic among others...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Comparing a refrigerator magnet to the power of the sun...well that is new.

I am going to have to read your post several times to make sense of that, if there is any sense to be had of it.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by RobertF
reply to post by Phage

Comparing a refrigerator magnet to the power of the sun...well that is new.
Who did that?

I am going to have to read your post several times to make sense of that
Apparently so.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by RobertF

Trust me, he will find some other excuse, or make it up himself...

He thinks he is smarter than the scientists who say the contrary to what he keeps claiming...

Solar activity as a triggering mechanism for earthquakes

John F. Simpsona, b

a Goodyear Aerospace Corporation, USA

b University of Akron, Akron, Ohio, USA

Received 7 November 1967; revised 16 December 1967. Available online 28 October 2002.

Abstract

Solar activity, as indicated by sunspots, radio noise and geomagnetic indices, plays a significant but by no means exclusive role in the triggering of earthquakes. Maximum quake frequency occurs at times of moderately high and fluctuating solar activity. Terrestrial solar flare effects which are the actual coupling mechanisms which trigger quakes appear to be either abrupt accelerations in the earth's angular velocity or surges of telluric currents in the earth's crust. The graphs presented in this paper permit probabilistic forecasting of earthquakes, and when used in conjunction with local indicators may provide a significant tool for specific earthquake prediction.

linkinghub.elsevier.com...

Annales Geophysicae (2003) 21: 597–602
c European Geosciences Union 2003

High-energy charged particle bursts in the near-Earth space as
earthquake precursors
S. Yu. Aleksandrin1, A. M. Galper1, L. A. Grishantzeva1, S. V. Koldashov1, L. V. Maslennikov1, A.M. Murashov1,
P. Picozza2, V. Sgrigna3, and S. A. Voronov1
1Space Physics Institute, Moscow State Engineering Physics Institute, Kashirskoe shosse 31, 115409 Moscow, Russia
2Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Rome ”Tor Vergata” and INFN Sez. Rome2, via della Ricerca Scientifica 1, I–00133 Rome, Italy
3Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Rome ”Roma Tre”, via della Vasca Navale, 84, I–00146 Rome, Italy
Received: 21 July 2001 – Revised: 21 May 2002 – Accepted: 11 July 2002

Abstract. The experimental data on high-energy charged
particle fluxes, obtained in various near-Earth space experiments
(MIR orbital station, METEOR-3, GAMMA and
SAMPEX satellites) were processed and analyzed with the
goal to search for particle bursts. Particle bursts have been selected
in every experiment considered. It was shown that the
significant part of high-energy charged particle bursts correlates with seismic activity. Moreover, the particle bursts are observed several hours before strong earthquakes; L-shells of particle bursts and corresponding earthquakes are practically the same
. Some features of a seismo-magnetosphere connection model, based on the interaction of electromagnetic emission of seismic origin and radiation belt particles, were considered.

Key words. Ionospheric physics (energetic particles,
trapped; energetic particles, precipitating; magnetosphereionosphere
interactions)

hal.archives-ouvertes.fr...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Ah yes. That paper from 1967.
So tell me, how has that probabilistic forecasting working out for you?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Trying to go off tangent again are you?

No. You were harping about "peer review" as if it means that the article is correct. Does it?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Ah yes. That paper from 1967.
So tell me, how has that probabilistic forecasting working out for you?

Better than for you, and you know well that I have shown more recent work on this topic, but like always you TRY and FAIL misserably each time to dismiss the FACTS that refute your lies...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

So.
Peer Review = Fact.

Let's talk about peer review and AGW then.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join