It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Welfare System

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
All over the Western World, we are experiencing more and more problems with the distribution and control/maintenance of welfare.

It is a problem that has gone on for years.

People trade their food-stamps with their local drug-dealer, to obtain drugs. They'll hand over $50 worth of stamps for $25 worth of drugs.

Simple.

In England and some parts of Australia, it is only now that they are trialling a card that can not buy alcohol or tobacco. It's good, in theory.

Why hasn't the Government put any real thought into the problems regarding illicit items?

There are many reasons, which I won't go into.

How about a new system, a new way of doing things?

You're out of a job, on welfare? Fine. The Government will put you in a Government-run Apartment.

Hot water is timed. You have 4 members in your family? Press the button to start the shower. It will run for 5 minutes, then go cold. You can do this for each registered member of your family.

Electricity is metered. You have a certain amount of wall-socket-power each day. Your lights work between the hours of 6pm and 12am.

Your food is rationed. You catch a Government-bus or walk to Government-run 'Cafes' to receive your meal. You swipe your card, take your food into the eating area, and have a meal. This can be done for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

You need to travel? You have travel credits. Catch a Government-bus to your destination. Need to travel further? Apply for more credit, which will be deducted from your card.

Everything will be on your card. It has Photo I.D. You must input an 8 digit PIN. You must scan your fingerprint.

You must report to a job-search centre 3 days a week.

If you commit a crime and are caught, you are jailed for 1 year in a labour-prison.

Control is the only way to ensure Welfare is kept to the essentials.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Oh, and good luck finding a job!

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Unrealised

You've just described a severe Communist state. An extreme one.

Are you honestly suggesting that the poor be restrained in these ways? You do realize that, once taboos are broken, and laws are put into place and accepted - they will grow. Right?

For a percentage of the poor who manage to wrangle a few bucks out of the system for corrupt intentions, you'd unleash Orwellian Hell upon them all?

Have you truly thought this through?

~Heff

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Well, you hit the nail on the head your self by using the word "control"..

Don't you think they control us enough away?

We also seem to be entering a catch 22 where drugs are concerned.

They've made them illegal whilst controlling the trafficking them selves, and using the illegality law to fill private prisons, but now have you noticed them pushing the media into discussing if they should be legal again? I have.

Take Channels 4s live drug trials for example.

Makes one dubious after we've heard of their plans to make them legal again, so they then have further tools in making the masses useless drug abusers.

To be or not to be?? Hm.
edit on 15-10-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Apparently like many other's you do not know there is no such thing as food stamp's anymore.

They get there food allotment money on a E.B.T card.
They can only buy food with it...Not many drug dealer's trust a drug head's ya know..
There not gonna go here is ya a dime bag ..now go buy me a turkey and eggs and milks lol

Not to mention 99% of the case's where people see People use EBT cards on beer or smoke's...It has there own money on it..
Like in kentucky i know for a fact There food stamps child support and ssi or disability goes on the same card....
So Unless you can prove the people are not spending there own money technically ya grasping at straw's.
If you can see my point.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

You've just described a severe Communist state. An extreme one.

Are you honestly suggesting that the poor be restrained in these ways? You do realize that, once taboos are broken, and laws are put into place and accepted - they will grow. Right?

For a percentage of the poor who manage to wrangle a few bucks out of the system for corrupt intentions, you'd unleash Orwellian Hell upon them all?

Have you truly thought this through?

~Heff

You KNOW it's on it's way, anyway, for all of us.

Instead of looking for jobs three days a week, we'll all be on rotating-shifts.

It's the perfect society for building an Empire.

I didn't say it's nice, or that it should be done, but it is the only sure-fire way of controlling the flow of resources.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by KentuckyMan

Apparently like many other's you do not know there is no such thing as food stamp's anymore.

The OP has his location listed as Australia, but I don't ever remember the Australian welfare system involving food stamps. As far as I know food stamps are an American thing.

By the way this thread is a laughable piece of trash...

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by KentuckyMan

They get there food allotment money on a E.B.T card.
They can only buy food with it...Not many drug dealer's trust a drug head's ya know..
There not gonna go here is ya a dime bag ..now go buy me a turkey and eggs and milks lol

Not to mention 99% of the case's where people see People use EBT cards on beer or smoke's...It has there own money on it..
Like in kentucky i know for a fact There food stamps child support and ssi or disability goes on the same card....
So Unless you can prove the people are not spending there own money technically ya grasping at straw's.
If you can see my point.

'Food-Stamps' is a term that has many other names.

That system is not just used in the U.S.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

People trade EBT cards for cash/drugs everyday. Banning the purchase of alcohol with EBT cards will do nothing to solve the problem.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

By the way this thread is a laughable piece of trash...

Perhaps as is your grasp on the future of the world.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Here is what i do not understand...
Ask any american do you care about Australia's welfare system and how they run it?
There gonna tell ya heck no why would we care what they do lol

But somehow a Australian who has probably never been in the usa know's exactly how to reform our welfare system for us.lol
Just saying i find it funny

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

As a matter of fact...that is exactly what is going on here in Ohio.

The dealers are stocking their own fridge, selling the excess at a discount rate to smaller grocery stores and still selling their stuff to paying customers.

Highly lucrative.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
To you people getting angry at me, please, this is just a way that I can see our Governments taking a grip on us.

It's not what I'd want.

Okay?

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Ask any american do you care about Australia's welfare system and how they run it?

But somehow a Australian who has probably never been in the usa know's exactly how to reform our welfare system for us.lol

IF you bothered to read my post, I mentioned America, Australia and England as examples.

I stated that the Governments might one day use this method against us.

Get a grip.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec

People trade EBT cards for cash/drugs everyday. Banning the purchase of alcohol with EBT cards will do nothing to solve the problem.

I know some people do trade the value of the card for cash ect....
But you can not flat out buy alcohol with food stamps or smokes food and pop is about it lol

So the argument they spend them on alcohol i do not understand cause i have never seen any store where i live at accept ebt foodstamps for alchol the system wont let them it tells the cashier they need cash.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unrealised
It's not what I'd want.
Well then why would you describe it in a way which implies it's something you would want.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I usually did not care about people on welfare back in my teen ages, i was on minimum wage, and was getting by with my expense(probably because i was depending on parents to shelter me and provide food)... but later on i learned that someone on welfare makes more than me... i was pissed off.. but i got over it.. but there r people abusing this... and i get taxed like crazy during my tax return because i'm a bachelor and i work and pay my taxes.

Someone i knew who was on welfare was proudly saying that he is getting welfare as well as working under the table... he was making more than me...

Does anyone know how much person gets on welfare? i guess it varies by country.

There should restrictions... but what mentioned in OP is a bit extreme.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

IF you bothered to read my post, I mentioned America, Australia and England as examples.

I stated that the Governments might one day use this method against us.

Get a grip.

I got a grip man lol
No hard feelings mate

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

It's not what I'd want.
Well then why would you describe it in a way which implies it's something you would want.

Can't you detect cynicism, contempt or sarcasm in a piece of writing?

Most can.

Read it again, and imagine it with these qualities.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
I usually did not care about people on welfare back in my teen ages, i was on minimum wage, and was getting by with my expense(probably because i was depending on parents to shelter me and provide food)... but later on i learned that someone on welfare makes more than me... i was pissed off.. but i got over it.. but there r people abusing this... and i get taxed like crazy during my tax return because i'm a bachelor and i work and pay my taxes.

Someone i knew who was on welfare was proudly saying that he is getting welfare as well as working under the table... he was making more than me...

Does anyone know how much person gets on welfare? i guess it varies by country.

There should restrictions... but what mentioned in OP is a bit extreme.

One of the highest that I know of in Australia for a single person is the PERMANENT DISABILITY PENSION.

It is about $900 a fortnight.

Mind you, you have to have a disability, and can only be given the thumbs-up by a Centrelink (welfare centre) doctor.

You get more if you have children, but it's like this with every pension.

Oh yeah, in Australia, Welfare is called the Pension, too.
edit on 15-10-2012 by Unrealised because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join