It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is this website accessing other ports in our computers?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit
ZOMG! They're trying to use the most secret port. 443!

Otherwise known as HTTPS. You know. Like any secure site would? Shopping cart, banking, webmail, etc.

Do you access any of those sites? I guess not if you're blocking all incoming and outgoing on anything other than 80.

I'm pretty sure "they" can see you through your flat-screen though. Put on some pants.

Lame, can't even say anything since someone keeps removing my posts...

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
A website cannot turn on ports on your firewall without your browsing being completely hacked (e.g. accepting backdoor commands from the content you retrieve). In that case you should turn off your computer and use a sledgehammer on it immediately.

I don't think you can show that ATS is attempting to connect to a port on your system. You would need to have the source IP and be able to trace it back to an ATS system. It just ain't happening.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by KhufuKeplerTriangle
Watch out for that horrible horrible horrible ransomware going around...

there is literally a virus (ransomware) that looks sort of like an FBI page, even uses their logo illegally,
and it tells you to "go to walmart or best buy to purchase a moneygram for 200 bucks" to restore access to your system!

It even uses your webcam for extra terror. Good thing ours had black tape.
What a nasty virus

I would recommend to ANYONE that has a built-in camera to apply black or duct tape to it when you are not actively using it. Simply disabling it in Windows doesn't mean someone cannot access it and spy on you. I'm looking at mine right now - not the best tape job in the world, but you can't see me and that's all that matters.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Paranoid much?

More than likely you blocked port 443 which is https. ie a secure connection.
I believe that analytics may use that port.

However if you are that paranoid about closing ports(which is a bad idea IMO since you could cause you some issues by running out of open ports). You should be using a browser such as firefox. And getting one of the no script plugins that lets you control what scripts you'd like to run on a website.

And you might want to go as far as getting a VPN Service subscription that will allow you to visit websites without exposing your home ip address.
lifehacker.com...

And maybe you want to look into a firewall that blocks malicious programs.

link   
Hark! I come bearing light and more importantly information: www.ircbeginner.com...

Port 80 only is open on the ATS servers, on the client side it will connect to ports other than 80, typically ports very high in number like say over 10,000

sif:~ helig$ netstat -an | head
Active Internet connections (including servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address (state)
tcp4 0 0 192.168.0.110.51088 173.194.37.40.80 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 192.168.0.110.51087 74.125.137.101.80 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 192.168.0.110.51077 74.125.137.101.443 ESTABLISHED

All three of these are google connections (I run Chrome so there is no surprise there), so its completely normal to see these kind of connections. Unfortunately terms and conditions prohibit me from explaining more to you under the banner of hacking and the outright prohibited use of adblocking software, but there are plenty of ways out there to ensure your security, flipping out because of normal tcp/ip connections however does no good.

link   
thanks to you both re: ghostery.

re: covering cam: bandaids work but they do have holes in them 8(

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Everyone who does not want to be tracked on the web by anyone should purchase the " Do Not Track Plus" PC software.

When I access ATS my Do Not Track Plus software says that the following sites tried to track me:

Google +1

Quantcast

Google Analytics

The Do Not Track Plus software blocks these sites.

If you have McAfee Anti-Virus Software, you can option your search box on your browser to use McAfee Secure Search which also blocks tracking when you access web sites.

Bottom Line: All of the web sites try to track you; not just ATS.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

A huge ....HUGE LMAOO@ you and here's a star...lol

On topic...recently I encountered a bizarre event here on ATS that has had me wondering and getting paranoid since...(lol) I can't remember the authors name of the thread but it concerned a telephone number, and a recorded woman's voice, spewing a series of numbers.

For obvious reasons the thread was taken down....(?) there were coordinates of military personnel and a map of those coordinates. There were also flights that were tracked if I remember off the top of my head confirming to all that I'm to lazy to look the info up at the present time. Ha

Anyways...the info presented seemed just like the info we here on ATS die for....errrrrr live for. lol I've seen topics concerning Groom Lk where audio was recorded, flight times of Jane and other info concerning Jane and her secrets. We've seen pics ect...none of those topics taken down.

If anyone can enlighten me...that would be appreciated. Remember, I can almost see a good reason why the thread was taken down....and my first (reason) is someone doesn't want us to see where Military inside the US are being deployed too. I also remember cargo being tracked....
edit on 12-10-2012 by tracehd1 because: Add paranoid delusional conspiracy opinion towards ATS and thier partnership w/ the devil...lol

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
All ports except 80 ?

So no POP3, no SMTP, no IMAP, no torrent downloads, no music streaming bla bla bla ...

I don't believe the OP.

QV.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

i think it's about Targeted ADs from google... who had to have searched your 'SEARCH function... and i use 4 different Search engines.... and repeated ADs from 3 of those search-engines keep getting shown on sites like ATS or any YAHOO page

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

"Marty do you know what this means!"
AmaZon bought out the rights to Doc Browns hat tech.
You see it all the time over at checkout, - but usually at the bottom of the screen.
"People that buy this item" also buy......

Quantumboard technology.
The phone number, now that was really spooky! time warp back to 1956!!!

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Gotta go with what some others have posted and it probably being the https. It could also be a variety of other things from the ads, to tracking... lots of options out there, but none of them really malicious.

Also, another site I was admin on sent a cookie to your registry to "track", I don't think ATS does that but haven't gone through the trouble of checking. It's used to prevent multiple accounts or to block your entire computer if you're banned. I'm thinking ATS doesn't use that one since my sister and nephew use my computer too.... and I had a little "post ban" for a few days (surprise surprise!
...I was "newer" and didn't behave as well as I do now...not that I really behave all that well now, but it was worse
)

Anyway, various ports are used for various things and if it's a site you log onto, it's going to use more than just the basic internet port, that's part of being a registered-user site.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by magickmaster

Originally posted by Pervius
I have every port in my computer blocked except for 80 to browse the internet. The only http website I can't access is AboveTopSecret.com.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

I use port 80, and several other ports such as 8080 for proxies. I use Ghostery, and it blocks access for Google Analytics, Google, Google Analytics, and Gorilla Nation. It sees all these sites as Tracking my computer. I also have blocked all cookies known as "pref."
You might do the same, if you are worried about being tracked.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by qvision
All ports except 80 ?

So no POP3, no SMTP, no IMAP, no torrent downloads, no music streaming bla bla bla ...

I don't believe the OP.

QV.

You can toss in DNS port also. Not going far without that one either.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I don't know how much this has to do with accessing ports, but it concerns me nonetheless.

To be fair, I get similar message popups on other supposedly benign sites that are ad-supported. In any event, it is unnerving and ironic to come to a conspiracy site and get a message that suggests you are being conspired against

top topics

<< 1   >>

join