It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do I apply A Copyright?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
The title, as usual, says it all. I made some drawings. I would like to publish them but limit the possibility that someone claim the authorship. So, I am thinking about applying a copyright on them. The problem is, how do I do this using Internet? Will it cost me?...

EDIT: I need to add that I'm Canadian.
edit on 9-10-2012 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by swan001

www.ehow.com...

Google is easy enough to use. I found that faster than you could have made this topic..

www.copyright.gov..

probably 35 dollars per item.. Copyright good till 70 years after you die.

otherwise sign your name on them and hope that's enough..
edit on 10/9/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Go to the Library of Congress website. Get either 1 for single forms...or 1 for more than one. You can get either quickly online, and Im sureyou can print it out on your end.

But, the work will not be secure until THEY receive it back, then you are protected back to the date on your appl.

Costs are very inexpensive (under $15-20 US)

Thanks for realizing the importance of legally registering your hard work!
(PS Any questions you need answered? Send me a U2U)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by swan001

I hope you share it here once it's copyrighted.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

Of course I coulda have used Google to get the answer. But I consciously choose to also ask ATS's experience in the matter.

Sign my name.. Anyone can edit out that part of the pic using basic crop. I could write it all over my pic but then it would defigure the pic in the first place.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by swan001

Of course I coulda have used Google to get the answer. But I consciously choose to also ask ATS's experience in the matter.

Sign my name.. Anyone can edit out that part of the pic using basic crop. I could write it all over my pic but then it would defigure the pic in the first place.

You have to pay for copyrights..
that last part was a joke.. in response to: "Will it cost me?..."

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
You will need a form VA (visual arts) from the Copyright office.
You can probably order the forms online these days and cost used to be $35/per image.
You will have file a form for each work.
People have combined several pictures together and combined the titles to cut costs.
edit on 9-10-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

15 to 20$... Much less than what my first replier found.

Is your U2U suggestion something you wish I followed.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Is there a hight risk of violation if I don't apply for copyright?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

15 to 20$... Much less than what my first replier found.

Is your U2U suggestion something you wish I followed.

He was wrong though.. It's 35 online and 65 paper forms...
I checked the same place he was talking about.

see here.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Wait! I forgot to mention I'm Canadian. I doubt US copyright office have that much extent.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Wait! I forgot to mention I'm Canadian. I doubt US copyright office have that much extent.

Canadian Version

Seriously could have found all this on your own.

In Canada it's 50 dollars online and 65 paper forms..

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Thanks.

Did you utilized this application, are you familiar with copyrights, is there something I should know.

I'm asking 'cause I'm new to copyright, I'm a bit in the dark.

Arr, never mind, you'll just tell me to Google it.
As I should, though.

Thanks anyway.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by swan001

I gave you the link on how to do it.. It's the first post, but just use the Canadian website instead. You will need to make a digital copy of your work. A picture or a scanned image of the work. You have to first make an account on the Canadian website to even see the forms. The forms will tell you what to do.. I'm not going to make an account when I already gave you the link and you can make an account yourself.

ok?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
You already have a copyright. It's automatic. Paying to REGISTER a copyright is good practice because it establishes WHEN you made the work. So if someone came along a year later and claimed copyright, you could prove via your registration that you were first. Registering copyright is not technically required, but having that certificate to show in a court of law would pretty much seal the deal should it get that far. Place "Copyright (c) 2012 by Blah Blah" on your work.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by swan001

Canadian or Japanese....get your copyright. It is held as legal in nearly all countries in the world by International Copyright Laws...except Russia. They are the biggest violators of copyrights...good luck.
Get protected..!

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
You already have a copyright. It's automatic. Paying to REGISTER a copyright is good practice because it establishes WHEN you made the work. So if someone came along a year later and claimed copyright, you could prove via your registration that you were first. Registering copyright is not technically required, but having that certificate to show in a court of law would pretty much seal the deal should it get that far. Place "Copyright (c) 2012 by Blah Blah" on your work.

You mean, technically.. I could write "(c) 2012 by John Silverswan"... without registering?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Okay, thanks again!

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

Your welcome! Now please do yourself and others a favor...just get your stuff copyrighted. Maybe you knew this but music, books, art etc...HAVE to be copyrighted to be displayed, produced or released by large professional well known zillion $$$ companies, studios and store chains..and to get repeated play if its music on most radio stations. Art studios too....

Im talking straight to you. Big companies..studios for music and art and publishers for books...WILL NOT SIGN YOU without it. Its THEM that requires some form of legal protection for works (yours)..to protect THEM before they really agree to helping or displaying your works. Its the 1st thing theyll ask you. "Is this copyrighted to you?"

Good luck to you, and dont stop creating!

Need anything? Hit me with a U2U. Peace!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Thanks again, again.

I'll be sure to follow your advice.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join