It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep Paralysis: Please Help Me!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Hi everyone,

I really need your collective help here because something keeps happening to me and it is scaring the crap out of me.

I started suffering from sleep paralysis about 5 years ago, but it has recently increased in frequency. I moved to South East Asia about 4 years ago and this is when the sleep paralysis became ever more frequent. Over here, the local people believe that a ghost is sitting on your chest when you undergo sleep paralysis. Furthermore, when it has happened to me, I have heard voices ( e.g. One voice said "go home"), I have seen apparitions (e.g. I saw a man all in black walk into my room) and, when I finally regain control of my body and wake up fully, I have felt the possessing spirit leave my body through my nose ( my nostrils have become very hot and red when this happens).

I don't drink, I don't smoke and I don't do drugs.

One time, when it happened, I said in my mind "The Lord rebukes you Satan!" and this seemed to anger the possessing spirit (I felt his rage inside me), and the spirit soon left. I have also found that wearing religious objects and putting religious books next to me in bed has some effect at helping ( but does not work 100 percent of the time)

What is happening to me??

Info: sleep paralysis is when you wake up but you cannot move your body. Breathing can also be affected, and when you scream for help no noise comes out of your mouth.

edit on 6-10-2012 by chemistry because: More info

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by chemistry

Over here, the local people believe that a ghost is sitting on your chest when you undergo sleep paralysis.

I've only experienced sleep paralysis once in my life, but I have to admit that's exactly what it felt like. Like some sort of demon was on top of me, trying to enter my body or something... but I'm certain it was just a mental illusion, many people describe the same thing. The paralysis stopped for me when I completely relaxed and stopped trying to fight it. The more you get scared the more you tense up and the worse it becomes, I think it's mainly an illusion powered by fear...
edit on 6/10/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Sleep paralysis happens when you wake up during rem sleep when the body is paralyzed so that you don't reenact your dreams. How would you know what a demon sitting on top of you feels like anyways? don't let your imagination get the best of you, in this state you can still be half asleep and the fear can morph your dreams into whatever state of mind you are in at that moment.

I have experienced sleep paralysis twice, you just need to relax and change your rhythm of breathing to an alert and awaken one so that your brain realizes you are awake and releases your body from its state of paralysis.
edit on 6-10-2012 by CesarO because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I've experienced this a few times before, but definitely as frequently as you.

However, the last time it happened I was able to 'overcome' it.

I was taking a nap one day on my couch when it happened. I 'woke up' but was in sleep paralysis. I felt the weight and the fear. Initially i tried to struggle, but that only made it worse and more uncomfortable. After a while of struggling to move or wake up, I finally wondered...'What would happen if I just relaxed and observed what is happening?' (I mean, really, what's the worst that can happen, right?)
Well, as soon as I relaxed and stopped fighting it...I began to float! It felt so real, as if my actual physical body was being lifted off the couch. It was so real that it scared me...well, more of a 'surprise' than a fear, really. But when I got surprised i felt myself immediately drop back in to my body and I woke up.

I decided to try it again the next day to see what would happen, as I am very interested in Astral projection and lucid dreaming. Sure enough, the very next day I had my first 'controlled' astral projection. I bypassed the sleep paralysis by accepting the fact that I don't need to have control of my physical body right now, because I had control of my spiritual body! I floated right up through my ceiling and flew around for a little bit before i 'lost it' and fell back in to my body. It was an incredible experience!

I recommend not fearing it. Tell yourself it is okay and that you are protected by God and that He will not let harm come to you. Imagine a glow of white or gold light around you if it helps. And remember just to try to observe what is happening.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I used to get sleep paralysis rather frequently when I was in my twenties, and it is highly unpleasant. I would have a great many hallucinations that seemed absolutely real, but were not.

As another poster pointed out, sleep paralysis happens when part of your brain "wakes up" during REM sleep, but the part of your brain that paralyses your body so you don't get up and act out your dreams is still engaged.

Who Develops Sleep Paralysis?

Up to as many as four out of every 10 people may have sleep paralysis. This common condition is often first noticed in the teen years. But men and women of any age can have it. Sleep paralysis may run in families. Other factors that may be linked to sleep paralysis include:
a lack of sleep
a sleep schedule that changes
mental conditions such as stress or bipolar disorder
sleeping on the back
other sleep problems such as narcolepsy or nighttime leg cramps
use of certain medications
substance abuse

www.webmd.com...

The link above goes on to say that it is simply your brain not moving smoothly through the sleep cycle.

Try to get on a schedule, and examine and address any causes of stress in your life.

Demons or ghosts sitting on you? Not likely, but it sure does feel that way. My own sleep paralysis issues disappeared when I stopped being so stressed out and miserable in my life.

I hope it stops for you soon!

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Thank you to everyone who has posted so far. I appreciate the time you have taken to help me.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

My experience with it was quite a few years back when I was going through some very tough emotional turmoil. I wasn't sure what was happening, and I didn't have the internet back then to check it out. It is a #ty way to come back to consciousness.

I guess I finally just relaxed and it didn't happen anymore. Haven't had an experience in about 25 years.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Hi Chem,

I've experienced scary sleep paralysis too, and it's horrible.

In my case I had the feeling that I was awakened by my internal "alarm bells" ringing, to alert me to some approaching danger.

I had the exact same thing happen once before, when I woke suddenly with SOMETHING'S WRONG!!!! WAKE UP!!! thoughts ringing in my head - when I glanced down my bed covers, a large Bee was crawling towards my face!

The sleep paralysis episode started EXACTLY the same way. The SOMETHING'S WRONG!!!! thoughts, sixth sense ringing, hairs standing on end, goosebumps, cold sweat.... etc

I fully understand that many people will say it's a state between sleep and being awake, that the paralysis is to help stop us hurting ourselves whilst dreaming, and that we become frightened and imagine dangers because of the fear and that does seem to make sense. BUT in my case, I believe that I was startled awake by my senses perceiving danger, exactly as had happened before with the bee. It felt exactly the same.
Then I heard it. Moving, breathing in the hallway outside my room. I opened my eyes, then found that I couldn't move. I'll repeat that so that there is no misunderstanding - I was startled awake by a perceived danger, then I heard something in my hallway, then I opened my eyes and THEN realised that I was paralysed.
The FEAR had nothing to do with the paralysis. I was frightened by being startled awake by something in my house that shouldn't have been there (exactly like the bee before). I was not frightened because of the paralysis because I wasn't aware of it until I tried to move my head to take a look at the doorway to the hall.

That's why I believe that there is more to sleep paralysis than the rational explanation.
I was NOT frightened by the paralysis, so I could not have "imagined" the presence in my house as a result of the fear of the paralysis. I was frightened by the presence BEFORE I knew that I was paralysed.

What was the presence?
I don't know.
It felt Huge. Powerful. Evil.
It sounded large, heavy, with deep snorting breaths - kind of like a bull?

It drifted across my room, past the foot of my bed, and left through a closed window, at which point the paralysis (and fear) lifted.
I wish that people who have not experienced the evil/scary presence associated with sleep paralysis could be a little more understanding of the possibility that there is more to this phenomenon than fear triggering imagined presences.
If it were just an imagined fear, then why do nearly all sufferers of SP "imagine" the same fear?
Why the evil presence? Why the weight on the chest? Why not spiders / snakes / rats / fire / (insert any other common fear here) ?

I'm sorry I can't be more help, and wish you all the best.

GTD

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

FissionSurplus' post is one that reflects my own experiences of sleep paralysis. Stress, late nights, lack of sleep, lack of quality sleep are all factors we can control. I guess some brains just don't cope well with chaos...mine doesn't.

By getting into a regular pattern of sleep, you'll see SP gradually disappear. Also discovering which rhythm suits most is a big help. For example, getting up earlier can lead to earlier nights or vice versa.

Once you've begun to establish a good sleep pattern get rid of the books on demons and hags. Let's face it, final thoughts on evil forces are hardly going to help your mind relax into peaceful sleep are they?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
All I can say is find that inner stength, we all have. Its in there, believe me!
Stay strong! I have had sp since the mid 80's. It stop starts at random. Last time I had it was 4 years ago.
I see aliens. I have never seen a ghost in my life. Anyway I don't want to rile them up by talking about.
STAY STRONG!!! Xx

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
When you are winding down for sleep your body begins a series of tests to see if you are actually asleep. One is the roll over urge. This urge can become very painful if ignored. Once you roll over to your side your body will then wait to initiate the next movement test. This one is the move the legs test. This tends to be translated as restless leg syndrome. You seem to toss and turn and kick your legs all night. This is your body trying to see if you are actually asleep. It's annoying, but if you ignore the leg kicking response, you will induce sleep paralysis often times.

From there you can go into a Lucid dream if you like, or simple go off to normal sleep. If you find yourself waking up into sleep paralysis, start breathing faster. This rapid breathing, along with eye movement will alert your body that you are awake, and you will come out of sleep paralysis.

Sleep paralysis is also known for making breathing difficult. Mostly, I assume, because it feels like a giant lead blanket is placed on top of you. It takes effort, but increasing the breathing is usually the best way. Or just simply closing your eyes and letting the sleep take you again is also easily done. Any auditory and visual hallucinations are probably from the subconscious and not really to worry about.

- The Grigori

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Gordi The Drummer

I have sleep paralysis a lot and my experiences are like yours.

They always occur when no one else is in the house and I fall asleep.

The fear comes first, terrifying, unbelievable fear. Then I open my eyes, they only seem to open halfway. I see "something" either near or over me, feel it watching me. Getting chills just talking about it. I try to get up, to reach out run anything and I can't move, can't breathe, can't scream. I just keep trying, telling myself to get up break free and start shaking. It's awful. No explanation, just awful. I try not to fall asleep if I'm alone anymore.

I wish I had some words of encouragement for the OP, but I don't know what to do...hoping someone here will.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I have had an episode like that. When you fall asleep your brain sort of paralyze your body so u don't injure yourself while you are asleep.
Sleep paralysis happens when u wake up but your body is still paralyzed. Its a strange feeling. Another thing is that researchers say you could hallucinate as you are not "fully awake" you are still kind of "dreaming" and this can create auditory and visual hallucinations.
I find that sleeping on my stomach or sides help

I don't think there is an actual cure. But i know it is more likely to happen when people are exhausted when they go to bed and dont get enough sleep. It is also more frequent when u have been drinking etc.

Hope this helps... good luck!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I'd pray and plead the blood of Jesus over your mind and subconscious and rebuke all bad dreams and terrors. This has helped me in the past. Tell the devil he has no right to you when you are asleep, or awake, and be sure that you have accepted Christ as your saviour and the holy spirit lives within you. Try also reading the psalms before you go to sleep, and look up spiritual warfare prayer on youtube and that can also be powerful if you employ it. I also am aware of what they call sleep paralysis. I have also had some really scary sleep experiences. And this morning, I awoke after some restless and aggressive dreams to find my middle finger sprained on one hand, and the bone bruised and swollen on my palm below my thumb on the other hand, so I must have really be thrashing - also remember hearing myself talking in my sleep. Lord, give us peaceful rest.
edit on 8-10-2012 by saintinwaiting because: grammar

edit on 8-10-2012 by saintinwaiting because: correction of text

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Link is too Big GOOGLE THIS : sleep paralysis treatment

MANY ANSWERS GOOD LUCK !

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I don't know if mine is a real case of paralysis but I will tell you what appened.

It was one or two months ago and I was ready to sleep, and while brushing my teeth I felt strange, like some cold air enter in my mouth. I can't describe for sure but for some reason this scared me.

What happened later I think is simply mind suggestion but I'll tell anycase.

I went to bed and then I felt like something was entering my mind. It was a strange sensation but I didn't know if it was real or not but my suggestion was so elevate that I thought was real.

I felt paralysed when all this occurred and I wasn't able to move any part of my body.

I was so scared but suddenly I thought "hey you can't let it win". So I tried to push it out, concentrating on my mind and imaging (if it was imagination I don't know) pushing this thing away, far away from where I was.

Then suddenly I felt again good, I started again moving, then I relaxed a bit and felt asleep.

Hope I helped explaining how I did it!

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Hi OP do not worry about it, its nothing to do with paranormal or ghost or whatever. It is just interrupted sleep and unsynchronized mind and body.

i have had Sleep Paralysis.. probably 20x during my 18-23 yrs of age.

What i figured out was that stress is a main factor, sleeping late, quick naps, are also factors. i got it a lot during exam times.

The images are created by the mind. I usually sleep face down, one time i turned and saw what was sitting on my back.. it was a dark midget... can't see facial futures, just the outline..

Bring your sleep pattern to a good 8 hrs sleep. Don't alternate sleeping pattern. Avoid having morning naps, after waking up.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I used to have it at least once a week and I still get it from time to time.

You have to sleep differently. If you don't already, sleep on your stomach, that should pretty much stop it. I've had it hundreds of times, but it was when I slept on my back or a certain side.

It's weird for me. I get the sensation someone is at the door about to come in, and sometimes i hear voices that sound like they are tape manipulations (slowed down and warbled). I get it when I sleep on my back and sometimes when I sleep on my left side, not my right. Weird I know, but change how you sleep.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I think I would be horrified if I saw "it." I always get the sense that something malevolent is at the door about to open it (no matter how long the door is perpetually about to open) or just out of my peripheral view. I have never seen anything though.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
make sure you are getting enough b vitamins. Sleep paralysis can be cause from b12 deficeincy. Eat lots of fruit and veggies.

new topics

top topics

join