It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Test of Vanity

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

It appears obvious that you have never dealt with a LARGE NUMBER OF PEOPLE and if you think that if and this is just IF you have intentions to form a MOVEMENT OF PEOPLE in an effort to do the right thing or help people or inspire others to use your example as a way to live their life or at the very least a small part of it a few days a Month or Week...unfortunately you are SADLY MISTAKEN!

I can't see how it is in any way obvious I have never dealt with a LARGE NUMBER OF PEOPLE before. I am asking questions here. I haven't told anyone to do a damn thing nor to form any movement. I am in the process of diagnosing, not applying any cure for anything. It's EXPERIMENTATION.

A perfect example of this is John McCain. John McCain is an AMERICAN HERO. A Man who refused to leave a Hanoi Prison of Death even with MULTIPLE LIFE THREATENING INJURIES as as close to Death he was...the U.S. Military Men...decided that whoever was in longer left first. He also told...and I will NEVER FORGIVE HER FOR THIS....Jane Fonda's People and Camera Crews to F@#% OFF! That Woman's very name is makes my STOMACH SICK!

Whether you were against the WAR or For it matter's not...THOSE WERE OUR SON'S AND DAUGHTER'S....our FATHER'S and GRANDFATHERS and in my case MOM's! You can protest the WAR all you want but never again do I EVER wish to see how the AMERICAN PEOPLE treated those who came back.

Anyways...John McCain ran for President of the United States...he did not want to use his Shoot Down, Capture, Torture and refusal to go before other who had been there longer to be used as part of his campaign. His Campaign Staff would not allow this information not to come out so a THIRD PARTY placed the adds with this information.

He did not win but studies were done and just the release of that information helped re-start talks in Congress about benefits for Vietnam Vet's.

You may believe that an actions Purity maybe compromised by using the information to accomplish a Goal even if the Goal is a Benefit to People...that maybe so...but it is not necessarily the right thing to do. One may even argue that to withhold such information because a person believes to release it may compromise their MORALS is in effect a selfish act if the data release can HELP PEOPLE. Split Infinity

Saving lives or committing a selfless act is not motivated by vanity. It is my opinion that morals should have no bearing whatsoever on a selfless act. To use that instance of the selfless act for social gain, greed, power, notoriety—outward vanity—to be socially accepted, to do it for others rather than oneself etc.— is what tarnishes that act in the end. I only wish to state—and you can take it or leave it—that one can cherish the moment in a form of 'inward vanity.'

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Hmm very interesting, I have found myself thinking the exact same thing. I often do not tell others of my good deeds, I feel almost as if I tell them they will become something else, I am trying to separate my ego from...myself. We all slip up sometimes but that is only another step to learning, and key to completing a goal.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I agree with those here that there are some situations when a greater good comes from spreading the word about a good deed done.

It could be as simple as telling others that you helped at a soup kitchen, and how good it felt to see the hungry get something to eat, and how much they need help. You may say it is vanity to say that it feels good, but is feeling good about it such a bad thing? And is it a bad thing if the person you told then decides that is something they would like to do too. And they pass it forward on and on.

Helping can feel good. It helps not only the recipient of the good deed, but the giver. And this good feeling, when passed on and on, can only lead to a happier society. Why try to contain that kind of happiness, which can lead to a stronger humanity? Spreading the word may inspire others to do something they never considered before.

And what about those who volunteer in other ways that involves getting up in front of groups of people to educate them? There are many ways of giving that are not a private thing. If you get up in front of groups to spread the word about how they can help stop human trafficking, or teach others to read, or so many other things that have some kind of "organizational" type front-end that needs leadership, you are not keeping it to yourself, but you are indeed doing for others.

Of course there are other things that are just obnoxious to go around bragging about, and does diminish the deed that was done.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Listen...I like your thinking...it's just that in the real world...this is what has occurred. You have written a Topic called a TEST OF VANITY....you debate basically that you believe that a GOOD AND DECENT ACT in your opinion...to you at least has more meaning if it is left in what you are describing as it's PURE FORM...that being that either you or someone else cannot really accomplish a TRUE SELFLESS ACT if you told someone about it.

You do not go into the possibility that others may have seen this act...you do not go into the possibilities that the act of informing others may be more important or useful than the act itself.

Just by this last statement...IT IS NOT A SELFLESS ACT. A TRULY SELFLESS ACT INCLUDES DOING SOMETHING THAT YOU DO NOT WISH TO DO BUT DO SO BECAUSE BY DOING IT...IT WILL HELP OTHERS.

You have chosen to be silent with the exception of talking about it here...again...a TRULY SELFLESS ACT is a RELATIVE CONCEPT and depends upon conditions. I understand what you are attempting to convey...but in my experiences which are EXTENSIVE...NOTHING IS SELFLESS! Even if I were to jump on a Grenade in one of the Jobs that I sometimes do...it is not selfless as I am thinking about performing an action that although will kill me will save people I care about.

Also...you have also done something here that shows you act is not selfless. You have professed to a euphoria that you bask in by yourself...not selfless. Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I have thought a lot about this topic and my personal conclusion is that it is OK to mention an act of charity. These days I am volunteering some time walking dogs at the Humane Society. There, I said it. I feel good about saying it because it may inspire others, and yes, I do get some ego gratification tooting my own horn. I suppose I need more external validation at times than some people, but the dogs get walked, I feel good about myself, and I have shared a bit of positivity in a mostly negative world. Who loses?

Perhaps in the next world my karma points will be a bit less than I would like--I do believe in an afterlife life review where we judge ourselves--but I'll take that risk. Jesus said to do your good deeds in secret, but I guess here I disagree because some people don't always have enough ego strength/motivation to do the good deed without some form of thanks/approval.

Don't people at work seek validation in the form of money AND good strokes from their boss, customers, and colleagues? Would your work be more worthy if you were getting paid but nobody gave you positivity for what you did? Most people who don't get recognition at work perform less effectively than those who do.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Dear LesMisanthrope,

Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face.

Peace,
DK

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Jumbles

I have this THIRD JOB that I can only say HELPS PEOPLE but at the same time my END people. If I don't talk about it in some way...I go nutz. It is not that I need validation or praise...because what exactly goes on can never be talked about. But the JOB basically involves influencing people in certain HELL HOLES with CASH in order to achieve some form of stability.

Now as far as I am concerned...I believe the OP to be a Good Person but a bit Naive. The fact that he has brought up this subject at all has DIRTIED his concept of a PURE SELFLESS ACT. As I have stated...there is no such thing as a SELFLESS ACT. There is always motivation to do anything...and his own personal gratification...which I would never deny him...is a DIRECT CONTRADICTION of the term SELFLESS ACT. Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

Listen...I like your thinking...it's just that in the real world...this is what has occurred. You have written a Topic called a TEST OF VANITY....you debate basically that you believe that a GOOD AND DECENT ACT in your opinion...to you at least has more meaning if it is left in what you are describing as it's PURE FORM...that being that either you or someone else cannot really accomplish a TRUE SELFLESS ACT if you told someone about it.

You do not go into the possibility that others may have seen this act...you do not go into the possibilities that the act of informing others may be more important or useful than the act itself.

Just by this last statement...IT IS NOT A SELFLESS ACT. A TRULY SELFLESS ACT INCLUDES DOING SOMETHING THAT YOU DO NOT WISH TO DO BUT DO SO BECAUSE BY DOING IT...IT WILL HELP OTHERS.

You have chosen to be silent with the exception of talking about it here...again...a TRULY SELFLESS ACT is a RELATIVE CONCEPT and depends upon conditions. I understand what you are attempting to convey...but in my experiences which are EXTENSIVE...NOTHING IS SELFLESS! Even if I were to jump on a Grenade in one of the Jobs that I sometimes do...it is not selfless as I am thinking about performing an action that although will kill me will save people I care about.

Also...you have also done something here that shows you act is not selfless. You have professed to a euphoria that you bask in by yourself...not selfless. Split Infinity

Jumping on a grenade to certain death to save others is the epitome of a selfless act. To say that removing yourself from existence, to negate yourself from life and all possibility of reward to save others is not selfless is beyond comprehension in my opinion. I don't think there's even an argument there.

Say you survived jumping on a grenade. If people see the selfless act, so be it, that's their prerogative and life experience. If they tell the newspapers and everyone in the world ends up knowing about your selfless act, it changes nothing. I mentioned in the OP the example "save a life"—obviously the life you saved would know you committed the selfless act and may choose to do whatever they wish with that knowledge. You may in the end be touted as a hero and become famous because of it. Nonetheless you are not the perpetrator of any wanton need for acceptance, congratulation, glorification, by using your act as a means to some perverse ends. You instead choose self-vanity, to bask in a euphoria as you say, to be good and feel good and to remember yourself as good—for that perfect untainted memory—and thats where it stops and stays.

I'm trying my best to explain it. After-all, I'm making this up as I go along...

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Furthermore, if one doesn't have the foresight to understand that jumping on a grenade means removing himself from existence, negating himself, going beyond himself, certain death—I will show you an idiot.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Erm, no. It's as if you're trying to transcend yourself, but the very belief that this is possible is a form of unconscious, yet extreme narcissism.

I'm a funktified sinner, and have no problem boasting from time to time.

It's called being a human being.

edit on 7-10-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Believe me...I would much rather not have to jump on a grenade...but I would do it to save Members of my Team. I have been doing a certain JOB for decades and I will be doing my last JOB very soon.

My unexpected second to last JOB had me coming home just a bit more that a DAY ago. I am not Military...I am "CIVILIAN" in the way the quotes denote and I am the Teams Leader. The Team Members are 20 Somethings that are Military and even though I am in Top Physical Form...I cannot recover like I used to from a 5 to 10 day JOB like I used to and it takes me at least a week to get back to feeling normal. This is age and also why I am retiring. I should have retired several years ago but I am VERY GOOD AT WHAT I DO...and although I am not required to go on these JOBS...the TWO times I did not...I was MISERABLE as I kept pacing and looking at the clock and converting Time Zones...as well as the fact that I did not like the replacement they got for me. I am training my replacement now and fell much better about retiring. When the Fiancee of a Team Member comes up to you and with tears in her eyes asks...ARE YOU GOING THIS TIME?...well that is why I continued doing this JOB 2 years past my time.

This JOB takes a certain ability to NOT OVER REACT. People who are GUNG HO or LET'S GET SUM!....are NOT the kind of people suited to lead a Team. My JOB is to effect change for the purpose of stability by the use of getting CASH to the RIGHT PEOPLE. It is important to know WHO the RIGHT PEOPLE ARE as dealing with the WRONG PEOPLE will only create a larger problem. The Right People are usually the ones who have a LOOK in their eyes that say's...I want you DEAD! When I see this I know we have found the RIGHT PEOPLE.

I have been shot multiple times in the Chest and lived because of a Ultra-Light High Tech. Vest...I fell on my Right Side...asked a Team Member to hand me my Rifle and balanced the rifle on my team members body part and using my Left hand pulled the trigger and ENDED the Shooter at about 60 yards. I have NO REGRETS! But I made a mistake and was LAX! Thankfully no one in my Team suffered because of my mistake. Then after the adrenaline wears off...WAVE AND WAVES OF PAIN...and since I am in the middle of some HELL HOLE...I cannot DOPE UP as I am the Leader. I have to figure the best way out. I have NEVER MADE ANOTHER MISTAKE SUCH AS THIS EVER AGAIN!

My point is this...I have witnessed many SELFLESS ACTS...and although no member of any Team I have Run has ever died....it is important to discuss these SELFLESS ACTS. It allows up to prevent a repeat of the problem. It keeps people on their toes.

Now in your case...I do not know what the selfless act is...but I know this...there is someone out there who can learn from it and to Hold it in and not use the information because you desire some flawed concept of a PURE SELFLESS ACT...is in reality doing the opposite of what you desire. Your desire is that people can use their experiences for something besides self gain.

Believe me...in what I do...there is no such thing as SELF GAIN. Just to let you know...I am VERY WEALTHY. I help run several large Family Owned Businesses...I am also a World Class Musician. I have everything and anything a person could want. I do not need to do these JOBS. But I do them and have one left. WHY do I do them...because I am the Best there is at my JOB and if I am there it gives my Team the best and Highest Probability of coming home alive. THAT...is my motivation...and if I can inspire someone younger than I to attempt to do the same thing by telling this story...then it was worth telling! Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Believe me...I would much rather not have to jump on a grenade...but I would do it to save Members of my Team. I have been doing a certain JOB for decades and I will be doing my last JOB very soon.

My unexpected second to last JOB had me coming home just a bit more that a DAY ago. I am not Military...I am "CIVILIAN" in the way the quotes denote and I am the Teams Leader. The Team Members are 20 Somethings that are Military and even though I am in Top Physical Form...I cannot recover like I used to from a 5 to 10 day JOB like I used to and it takes me at least a week to get back to feeling normal. This is age and also why I am retiring. I should have retired several years ago but I am VERY GOOD AT WHAT I DO...and although I am not required to go on these JOBS...the TWO times I did not...I was MISERABLE as I kept pacing and looking at the clock and converting Time Zones...as well as the fact that I did not like the replacement they got for me. I am training my replacement now and fell much better about retiring. When the Fiancee of a Team Member comes up to you and with tears in her eyes asks...ARE YOU GOING THIS TIME?...well that is why I continued doing this JOB 2 years past my time.

This JOB takes a certain ability to NOT OVER REACT. People who are GUNG HO or LET'S GET SUM!....are NOT the kind of people suited to lead a Team. My JOB is to effect change for the purpose of stability by the use of getting CASH to the RIGHT PEOPLE. It is important to know WHO the RIGHT PEOPLE ARE as dealing with the WRONG PEOPLE will only create a larger problem. The Right People are usually the ones who have a LOOK in their eyes that say's...I want you DEAD! When I see this I know we have found the RIGHT PEOPLE.

I have been shot multiple times in the Chest and lived because of a Ultra-Light High Tech. Vest...I fell on my Right Side...asked a Team Member to hand me my Rifle and balanced the rifle on my team members body part and using my Left hand pulled the trigger and ENDED the Shooter at about 60 yards. I have NO REGRETS! But I made a mistake and was LAX! Thankfully no one in my Team suffered because of my mistake. Then after the adrenaline wears off...WAVE AND WAVES OF PAIN...and since I am in the middle of some HELL HOLE...I cannot DOPE UP as I am the Leader. I have to figure the best way out. I have NEVER MADE ANOTHER MISTAKE SUCH AS THIS EVER AGAIN!

My point is this...I have witnessed many SELFLESS ACTS...and although no member of any Team I have Run has ever died....it is important to discuss these SELFLESS ACTS. It allows up to prevent a repeat of the problem. It keeps people on their toes.

Now in your case...I do not know what the selfless act is...but I know this...there is someone out there who can learn from it and to Hold it in and not use the information because you desire some flawed concept of a PURE SELFLESS ACT...is in reality doing the opposite of what you desire. Your desire is that people can use their experiences for something besides self gain.

Believe me...in what I do...there is no such thing as SELF GAIN. Just to let you know...I am VERY WEALTHY. I help run several large Family Owned Businesses...I am also a World Class Musician. I have everything and anything a person could want. I do not need to do these JOBS. But I do them and have one left. WHY do I do them...because I am the Best there is at my JOB and if I am there it gives my Team the best and Highest Probability of coming home alive. THAT...is my motivation...and if I can inspire someone younger than I to attempt to do the same thing by telling this story...then it was worth telling! Split Infinity

You don't need to justify anything to me. Everyone tells their story one way or another. Sometimes we just need tor read between the lines.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by moniesisfun
Erm, no. It's as if you're trying to transcend yourself, but the very belief that this is possible is a form of unconscious, yet extreme narcissism.

I'm a funktified sinner, and have no problem boasting from time to time.

It's called being a human being.

edit on 7-10-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

So you'd have to tell someone? For what reason may I ask? I am curious, that's why I posed the question.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

It's entirely dependent on the exact situation of each: the act, and the story telling.

The usual involves pure boasting, but many other things may arise.

Say you enter a situation where someone is feeling down about humanity...misanthropic, perhaps
You slyly introduce the seemingly selfless deed in a bit about inspirational wisdom. If done correctly, not only did you just look awesome in the guy or gals eyes, you just cheered 'em up.

Eh, maybe you need to impress a lady, or a potential investor, or ...really quite a few things it could be.

I do understand keeping lessons to ones self, but that is usually when it's beyond words. Some things truly are best left to ones self, selfless act or not. There are bits of insight that I have no way of transmitting verbally, at least in my current life-stage. Perhaps when I'm older and better able to grasp the insight outside of pure intuition, I will be able to verbalize it when best.

It really depends, is all.

edit on 8-10-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

You have again misunderstood and are not understanding the concept I am trying to get across to you. You have stated that you have committed a SELFLESS ACT. You have even gone through the trouble of POSTING ABOUT THE PURITY OF YOUR SELFLESS ACT based upon your concept that if a person commits a SELFLESS ACT it will ONLY REMAIN PURE IF THEY DO NOT TALK ABOUT IT...as to do so could be used for personal gain.

You have also stated that you have committed a small VANITY by even bring up the subject by telling all of us that although you have COMMITTED A SELFLESS ACT...it REMAINS PURE BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT TOLD ANYONE WHAT IT WAS YOU DID NOR HAVE YOU GAINED FROM THIS ACT BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT TOLD THE SPECIFICS.

NOW....THINK ABOUT THAT! How is it that you have not now gained? The sheer action of stating that you have done something PURE AND SELFLESS is almost IDENTICAL IN EFFECT UPON OTHERS in the extent that although you have not described what you have done...PEOPLE HAVE STILL BEEN INFORMED BY YOURSELF THAT YOU DID A VERY GOOD THING AND THAT YOU ARE NOT THE KIND OF GUY WHO WOULD SINK SO LOW AS TO USE THE INFORMATION OF WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO GAIN!

This is the same as if I said....I just did something that helped another in the MACRO-EXTREME....yet it is BENEATH ME TO TELL ANY OF YOU WHAT I DID BECAUSE TO DO SO WOULD MAKE MY EXTREMELY BENEFICIAL ACT FOR A FELLOW HUMAN BEING LACKING IN PURITY thus I remain a person of GREAT CHARACTER because even though I have told all of you I did an EXTREMELY GOOD DEED....to tell you or talk specifics would lessen that Character so I will just leave it at...I DID A GREAT DEED AND SELFLESS ACT OF GREAT PURITY.

HOW IN THE WORLD CAN THIS NOT BE A STATEMENT OF VANITY? What is even worse...by not describing the act...you leave all of us without the ability to decide if we feel what you did is anything of any GREAT MERIT!
At least if we knew whether your action was saving a persons life with great peril to your own...or perhaps you made a persons car payment so they would not have it repossessed.

Without you telling us...we will never know...and the moment you posted about your SELFLESS ACT....PURITY went out the window.

I am not trying to abuse you or belittle you...I am just trying to convey to you this concept. Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

I have...and I will continue...that is, I am hoping opportunity and ability again rise at the same time for me to help or bless other soul(s) in the future...GOD willing.

And I am thankful that I have been helped when in need, too, thank you GOD and nameless good Samaritans who have eased me along the way.

Thanks to the bragging ones, too...because help is help...especially when we need it most...as long as no harm is done, then a good deed is good indeed.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Okay, now I've read the whole thread...I answered the OP first because I like to just give my answer and then I'll read everyone else's reply. Another form of striving for purity, I guess.

So, now I will also say that I have done things that I told others about, but only on a very personal level and at a much later date when it might have come up somehow in conversation, or something. And I think that I probably am motivated to share because I'm thinking it might give that other person an idea of how they can do things for others for which the opportunity to do so might not be recognized by them otherwise.

I was inspired by someone in much the same way once...in the course of a confidential conversation...and it did much to change my perspective and my own efforts. I did not see it all as bragging on their part but kind of like they were just telling me a secret because we were very close.

I think there is a lot of difference in doing something 'charitable' in the public eye by a public figure...or even a regular person, so to speak...and giving money to someone in need on the street just because the situation arises and the ability to give is also present...if a person would only consider giving a ten spot to the blind guitar man on the corner if other people were around to see them do it, and just walk on by if the street were otherwise deserted...then that is where the idea of ego and vanity comes into it for me.

I also think that the idea of donating to charity because it is tax deductible really puts the purity of intention/motive in question...and more and more it seems like if you do anything like that online or something, you get the chance to post it on FB or tweet it or whatever...I don't see that as leading by example but bragging...

Like putting your name on a pink ribbon shaped card at the grocery check out if you agree to give a buck to the breast cancer drive that's going on (or whatever the charity of the week happens to be)...that they then staple up on the wall for everyone to see. I don't want my name up on the wall! I did put my sister's name on one of those once, because she died from breast cancer but it was only a spur of the moment idea right then. I told my mom because I knew it would make her happy. And I'm telling it here right now because it really doesn't matter either way as far as my own ideas of whether it or not it was purely motivated or whatever...the simple truth is that the check out person asked me and I had a bit of cushion in the budget right then and so I said yes. Sometimes I can and I do and other times I cannot and so I don't. But the real reason I say yes when I can is because I see no reason why not.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if one's motives are pure in their actions, then the purity cannot be sullied no matter what happens later...the intention is beyond the reach of that. And if the motive is impure...it will always be impure and even the shiniest halo in the world won't change that motivation, either.

What ultimately matters is that people are blessed by the actions of other people...that we bless each other just because we should. We are all we have...we must not forget to care for each other just by virtue that we ALL have the fact of being Earthlings in common.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

You have again misunderstood and are not understanding the concept I am trying to get across to you. You have stated that you have committed a SELFLESS ACT. You have even gone through the trouble of POSTING ABOUT THE PURITY OF YOUR SELFLESS ACT based upon your concept that if a person commits a SELFLESS ACT it will ONLY REMAIN PURE IF THEY DO NOT TALK ABOUT IT...as to do so could be used for personal gain.

You have also stated that you have committed a small VANITY by even bring up the subject by telling all of us that although you have COMMITTED A SELFLESS ACT...it REMAINS PURE BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT TOLD ANYONE WHAT IT WAS YOU DID NOR HAVE YOU GAINED FROM THIS ACT BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT TOLD THE SPECIFICS.

NOW....THINK ABOUT THAT! How is it that you have not now gained? The sheer action of stating that you have done something PURE AND SELFLESS is almost IDENTICAL IN EFFECT UPON OTHERS in the extent that although you have not described what you have done...PEOPLE HAVE STILL BEEN INFORMED BY YOURSELF THAT YOU DID A VERY GOOD THING AND THAT YOU ARE NOT THE KIND OF GUY WHO WOULD SINK SO LOW AS TO USE THE INFORMATION OF WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO GAIN!

This is the same as if I said....I just did something that helped another in the MACRO-EXTREME....yet it is BENEATH ME TO TELL ANY OF YOU WHAT I DID BECAUSE TO DO SO WOULD MAKE MY EXTREMELY BENEFICIAL ACT FOR A FELLOW HUMAN BEING LACKING IN PURITY thus I remain a person of GREAT CHARACTER because even though I have told all of you I did an EXTREMELY GOOD DEED....to tell you or talk specifics would lessen that Character so I will just leave it at...I DID A GREAT DEED AND SELFLESS ACT OF GREAT PURITY.

HOW IN THE WORLD CAN THIS NOT BE A STATEMENT OF VANITY? What is even worse...by not describing the act...you leave all of us without the ability to decide if we feel what you did is anything of any GREAT MERIT!
At least if we knew whether your action was saving a persons life with great peril to your own...or perhaps you made a persons car payment so they would not have it repossessed.

Without you telling us...we will never know...and the moment you posted about your SELFLESS ACT....PURITY went out the window.

I am not trying to abuse you or belittle you...I am just trying to convey to you this concept. Split Infinity

Which selfless act are you talking about? You told me your whole life's story for whatever reason. I never felt compelled to tell you anything about my life.

It may be assumed that I may have committed selfless acts, but I haven't implied nor professed to have done so, yet you're so sure I've committed a selfless act, and that I am talking about that act. Why is that? The only thing I implied is that it is vain for me to make a pledge in front of others. If you think I'm talking about a selfless act, then we are defining selfless act differently. I am using 'selfless act' as it is defined in the dictionary. When I am talking about future selfless acts, and you think that by discussing the possibility of performing these selfless acts I am being vain, whether these acts are committed or not, is absurd. For all you know I will never commit a selfless act again. I am merely pondering an idea.

If you feel the need to justify your actions for whatever reason, to let it be known that you performed what you think is a A GREAT DEED AND SELFLESS ACT OF GREAT PURITY, maybe for congratulation, for glory, for acceptance, to tell others they should live like you, to prove to yourself by hearing from others that you are actually good—then so be it. There are many motivations to profess our selfless acts, take your pick. You don't need to prove to me or others you are good, only to yourself, the most important judge.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
Dear reader,

When you donate to the charity of your choice, save a life, support something beyond yourself or sacrifice a little of yourself for something or someone else in the most selfless manner, would you be able to live your entire life without telling, implying or claiming you committed that selfless act to a single soul?

If not a single soul hears us discuss our selfless acts, and they remain unspoken of by us for the rest of our lives, does the meaning in that sacrifice remain pure and untarnished by our own vanity?

Although I am being vain in telling you—and I hope you'd be quick to point that out—I will never, for the rest of my life, tell a soul about my selfless acts, in the hopes that they remain pure in my memory and not used as a means to satiate my vanity (Starting now
).

Anyone else with me?

edit on 5-10-2012 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

If I do anything good or bad, to either help or hurt someone, I have a really hard time remembering anything about it long enough to discuss it over dinner. I'm not vain or humble. I'm distracted. To be honest, I just can't get impressed with myself over anything that I do that involves other people and their circumstances. Other stuff is always crowding in and taking up all the available seating.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Perhaps you forgot typing this in your opening post?...Although I am being vain in telling you—and I hope you'd be quick to point that out—I will never, for the rest of my life, tell a soul about my selfless acts, in the hopes that they remain pure in my memory and not used as a means to satiate my vanity (Starting now ).

For some reason you just don't seem to understand the point I am trying to get across. This Topic is NOT ABOUT ME....it is about YOUR TOPICS STATEMENT.

This is why I have brought up some of my life's experiences as a way to have you understand that 1...There is NO SUCH THING AS A PURE SELFLESS ACT....SELFLESS denotes there is nothing for you to gain and even an act that saves lives but the act kills you...is also not SELFLESS as you gain by preventing another's death and thereby are able to fulfill a need of your own personal Psychological Make Up.

Also...you did say...I will never, for the rest of my life, tell a soul about my selfless acts, in the hopes they remain pure in my memory and not used as a means to satiate my vanity (Starting now.)
That sure as heck sounds VAIN TO ME! LOL! HERE! PAT ON THE BACK! GOOD JOB! Split Infinity

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join