Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

A Test of Vanity

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I think its in bad taste to talk about how you practicaly/financialy helped an individual,unless its to a select few friends/family,or a certain party whom you know would be interested in helping the person also,augment the help you extended,etc..when it comes to a cause like the local SPCA,i certainly mention it to friends+aquaintances,in order to remind them that old clothing,books and unwanted stuff helps to keep it afloat at all,the spca charity shop's income is vital to the local shelter.This is an Ego-related issue,i think,what you're talkin about here,to me vanity is more a physical-body matter? Anycase i think its the more decent thing to help whom you wanna help,and not act like a martyr making a huge sacrifice/tell everyone you know,after the fact..it realy should Not be that big a deal to help others anyway-We SHOULD be our brother/sister's Keeper-if we made a point of that,as a collective,right from the beginning,as a Creed,the human race would be far less divided,and businesses like the banks+loaning sector might have a much lesser stranglehold on society..well,imho.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bodhi911
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Or third option, as in my case, simply inspire others. Im not going to be a leader for anyone besides myself. I dont believe in people following others, but I do believe in inspiration from others so they can be a better leader in their own life.

edit on 6-10-2012 by Bodhi911 because: (no reason given)

Good Example! Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

This all depends upon whether you seek to keep your selfless act to yourself or if you intend to LEAD BY EXAMPLE. Split Infinity

Leading by example doesn't involve telling anyone, nor does inspiring someone. The act itself and the subsequent chain reaction it causes is enough.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

Originally posted by Jordan River
Well now since you confessed of saying that you did indeed do something charitable, doesn't that go against the principal.

I don't know what you're talking about.

Booo terrible deflection

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

It depends on how many people you can inspire.

I first read this thread yesterday, and at first,
it made me feel guilty inside, and I questioned why I felt this way,
and I realized, compassion and learning about compassion comes in many forms.
I believe myself that if ones story can touch many,
then it should be shared with as many as possible.
It is not an act of selfishness,
it is an act of giving through experience hoping to inspire compassion and understanding in others.
But that is just how it was answered internally for me,
I cannot speak for anyone else.

And I am sure, some people see it as selfishness,
but then, they cannot walk in my shoes,
so I tell my story,
and I give a glimmer of what it is like.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71

It depends on how many people you can inspire.

I first read this thread yesterday, and at first,
it made me feel guilty inside, and I questioned why I felt this way,
and I realized, compassion and learning about compassion comes in many forms.
I believe myself that if ones story can touch many,
then it should be shared with as many as possible.
It is not an act of selfishness,
it is an act of giving through experience hoping to inspire compassion and understanding in others.
But that is just how it was answered internally for me,
I cannot speak for anyone else.

And I am sure, some people see it as selfishness,
but then, they cannot walk in my shoes,
so I tell my story,
and I give a glimmer of what it is like.

In my opinion, one should never feel guilty for committing a selfless act, whether they let it be known or not. I only think that the goodness in such an act remains more pure if it is not used as a means to promote one's vanity, which we can see happening all the time.

Some friends of mine are perpetrators of this. They donate to charities and find subtle ways to let it be known that they donate to charities. Now I could never scorn them for donating their money to a worthy cause, for if I did I'd be a monster, but I can question their motivation behind it. Do they do it to help others? To become good? Or is it to appease their vanity and to let it be known?

When I was still on Facebook, I would have 'friends' push the 'like' button on certain causes. To me it seemed an empty gesture, merely showing that they would support such a cause if they found the energy to do so. The extent of their support is pushing a button to let their friends know—that's it, that's where it ends. This really bothered me. So I am trying to find more fundamental meaning in charity, compassion and being 'good' to others, and to promote it as more beautiful and more rewarding, being good for the sake of being good, rather than doing it to appear like a good person. I think not telling a single soul about any selfless act is a more fulfilling way to live as a good person, whether others remember us in such a way or not.

Thank you for sharing and being honest.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I see what you are saying.

On the other side of that is the organizations that that depend on and prey on they elderly, some of who give until they have no more, out of fear of not giving. It is something that seems to be is installed into many organizations, churches especially.
My grandma gave almost everything she owned,
after she died, and we found all of her papers, and I read some of the charity notes that she was getting in the mail, I was shocked at how they make it sound like if you do not give, you will not be allowed into heaven.
It instills guilt, to which they prey on god fearing Christians.
Just an observation on some organizations.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed

It depends.
If you are doing the act for the sole purpose of recieving reward then yes.

If you are doing the act because it needs to be done,
If you are doing it out of compassion,
if your intentions are pure,
then you can also know, as a secondary effect, you will also, at some point in the future, reap your karmic reward.

If this doesn't make sense to you then I am afraid I am not going to be able to convince you otherwise.
If Bob Geldof an Midge Ure didnt bang on an on an on about the plight of Eithipians blighted by civil war an years of drought.Without there high profile visits unprecendented publicty of starveing Mothers Children shoveing the realitys of starvation down over fed western throats .They managedd to guilt trip other celebs an the public in genral to raise millions if not billions in aid an hopefully saved lifes on the ground .An yes they were neive an some of the charitable funds were miss apropriated by corrupt offeicialdom.But people like Bob Geldof Sting Bono whilst very public in there charitable deeds do by the nanture of there fame an wealth raise awareness for some good causes..Just as some weathy people can indulge in spectacular consumption .Spending an amount on a watch or jewlerry us mortals would pay for a house.There is also a trend of Megolamaniac consumptious charitable leviathons Lady Di in the past was one such creature as is Bono . Bob Geldoff . Sting..an Jimmy Savile who wore his chritable good works as an invisable cloak to opperate in open sight corrupting underage girls .An yet was allowed free reign because of his charitable facade ................

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Dear reader,

When you donate to the charity of your choice, save a life, support something beyond yourself or sacrifice a little of yourself for something or someone else in the most selfless manner, would you be able to live your entire life without telling, implying or claiming you committed that selfless act to a single soul?

If not a single soul hears us discuss our selfless acts, and they remain unspoken of by us for the rest of our lives, does the meaning in that sacrifice remain pure and untarnished by our own vanity?

Although I am being vain in telling you—and I hope you'd be quick to point that out—I will never, for the rest of my life, tell a soul about my selfless acts, in the hopes that they remain pure in my memory and not used as a means to satiate my vanity (Starting now
).

Anyone else with me?

edit on 5-10-2012 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

Where does human vanity draw the line? I could secretly give to a charity throughout my life, and while still alive, I would relish in the fact that when I die, and when family members and friends go through my belongings they will find out how I was a saint, a really caring guy.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
that is how I have lived my life since I was a child it is just seems like the proper thing to do.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Dear reader,

When you donate to the charity of your choice, save a life, support something beyond yourself or sacrifice a little of yourself for something or someone else in the most selfless manner, would you be able to live your entire life without telling, implying or claiming you committed that selfless act to a single soul?

If not a single soul hears us discuss our selfless acts, and they remain unspoken of by us for the rest of our lives, does the meaning in that sacrifice remain pure and untarnished by our own vanity?

Although I am being vain in telling you—and I hope you'd be quick to point that out—I will never, for the rest of my life, tell a soul about my selfless acts, in the hopes that they remain pure in my memory and not used as a means to satiate my vanity (Starting now
).

Anyone else with me?

edit on 5-10-2012 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

Where does human vanity draw the line? I could secretly give to a charity throughout my life, and while still alive, I would relish in the fact that when I die, and when family members and friends go through my belongings they will find out how I was a saint, a really caring guy.

Good thoughts. That may indeed happen, but then again, one can not be certain that it will.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agave
that is how I have lived my life since I was a child it is just seems like the proper thing to do.

Not any longer it seems.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Dear reader,

).

Anyone else with me?

I won't tell anyone else that I agreed to not tell anyone else about my selfless acts (for the very vain sake of being less vain, which in the end would hopefully make me less vain but is vain in itself) If you don't.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I try my best to keep any acts of kindness or goodwill known only to myself whenever the situation allows. I'm not sure exactly why I feel the need to do this — maybe it's because I feel inside that this makes the unselfish act 'more pure', or maybe it's because I feel I will be rewarded some time in the future for doing so. Either way, there is a strong willingness to suppress praise and admiration from others when taking part in unselfish behaviour.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I make donations to Goodwill all the time. It's an organization that resells the donated products at their store and practically gives them (e.g. they would sell a $200 item for $10).

I donated about 300 products to my local store and none of the people who got those items knew me and I don't know them.

Does that count?

That's the only one I'm iffy on, so it's the only I'll mention. Otherwise, yes, I do deeds for the sake of others (including mother nature) and don't talk about it. Why would you? Feeling good from doing it is the reward.
edit on 7-10-2012 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
It's not in the telling, retelling, or glorifying in the telling that is important.

The importance lies "within the intent" before the act of goodwill is committed.

If your intention is to do something good for the purpose of receiving
something good in return then that cheapens the gift.

If the intent was pure before the act, there is no karmic loss to talk about it
and receive attention later.

In the past I have "saved up favors" from others with the express intent of cashing in
...usually I'll tell the other person/people "Okay...you owe me one"---no karmic value there.

And I've also committed acts of goodwill simply to make someone else happier or better.
I don't think it cheapens the act to talk acknowledge it, later if the intention at the time
was pure...it just makes you look needy of attention

edit on 7-10-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Does the intention of the person doing the good deed tarnish the good deed itself? If a man broke his leg and was carried to a hospital by someone only so they could take credit for it, did the man still not get the help he needed?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Ironic how the fear of looking vain is rooted in vanity.

Who cares would be my question? Why are we still on such boring concepts? Aside from silly concepts of an afterlife or karma, it really seems a juvenile thing to dwell on. Live your life, do "good" things when you decide to, tell people, or don't, when you decide to. Just do it.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

It appears obvious that you have never dealt with a LARGE NUMBER OF PEOPLE and if you think that if and this is just IF you have intentions to form a MOVEMENT OF PEOPLE in an effort to do the right thing or help people or inspire others to use your example as a way to live their life or at the very least a small part of it a few days a Month or Week...unfortunately you are SADLY MISTAKEN!

A perfect example of this is John McCain. John McCain is an AMERICAN HERO. A Man who refused to leave a Hanoi Prison of Death even with MULTIPLE LIFE THREATENING INJURIES as as close to Death he was...the U.S. Military Men...decided that whoever was in longer left first. He also told...and I will NEVER FORGIVE HER FOR THIS....Jane Fonda's People and Camera Crews to F@#% OFF! That Woman's very name is makes my STOMACH SICK!

Whether you were against the WAR or For it matter's not...THOSE WERE OUR SON'S AND DAUGHTER'S....our FATHER'S and GRANDFATHERS and in my case MOM's! You can protest the WAR all you want but never again do I EVER wish to see how the AMERICAN PEOPLE treated those who came back.

Anyways...John McCain ran for President of the United States...he did not want to use his Shoot Down, Capture, Torture and refusal to go before other who had been there longer to be used as part of his campaign. His Campaign Staff would not allow this information not to come out so a THIRD PARTY placed the adds with this information.

He did not win but studies were done and just the release of that information helped re-start talks in Congress about benefits for Vietnam Vet's.

You may believe that an actions Purity maybe compromised by using the information to accomplish a Goal even if the Goal is a Benefit to People...that maybe so...but it is not necessarily the right thing to do. One may even argue that to withhold such information because a person believes to release it may compromise their MORALS is in effect a selfish act if the data release can HELP PEOPLE. Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garcian
Ironic how the fear of looking vain is rooted in vanity.

Who cares would be my question? Why are we still on such boring concepts? Aside from silly concepts of an afterlife or karma, it really seems a juvenile thing to dwell on. Live your life, do "good" things when you decide to, tell people, or don't, when you decide to. Just do it.

What's ironic is posting in a thread one finds juvenile and boring, merely to unload a bunch of clichés. Luckily, irony is a beautiful thing.

I care would be my answer. I'm inquiring into the nature of 'charity' and 'benevolence' to prove to myself there is still good there. I am trying to discover if it is possible that vanity can be sublimated, and no longer be thought of as evil. We are indeed all vain. So why not use it for a higher purpose if it is possible?

Maybe next time I'll throw in a car chase or a beer ad to spice things up a bit.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join