It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Employed For Crowd Control At College Football Game This Saturday

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

wouldn't really be any worse than cop running around with this shoot first ask later mentality. and who said anything about them running around with m16's the military does have access to pistols as well I am just saying perhaps these two thing could be consolidated into one save some money and work away on the national and international debt your country owes

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
This is really nuts.... How does the use of the Military in this come from an Act of Congress? Anyone have a thought on the legality of this?

The Posse Comitatus Act is the United States federal law (18 U.S.C. § 1385, original at 20 Stat. 152) that was passed on June 18, 1878, after the end of Reconstruction. Its intent (in concert with the Insurrection Act of 1807) was to limit the powers of local governments and law enforcement agencies in using federal military personnel to enforce the laws of the land. Contrary to popular belief, the Act does not prohibit members of the Army from exercising state law enforcement, police, or peace officer powers that maintain "law and order"; it simply requires that any authority to do so must exist with the United States Constitution or Act of Congress.[citation needed] In this way, most use of the Army and the Air Force at the direction of the President does not offend the statute, even though it may be problematic for political reasons.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by freedomSlave
reply to post by jude11

Both to be honest ,I don't really like seeing military personnel riding around my city where I live with their suv's and gun turret mounted on the tops I find it rather in bad taste .

How ever the logic in me asks well why pay for two separate entities of law enforcement ( local and international) Why two sets of a lot of the same thing the military already have to local law enforcement .
edit on 5/10/12 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

do we really need two sets of drones for both teams

Ok, the logic is there from an economical stand point and no doubt this will be one of the ways to convince the Nation that the Military should be the law now, but if you had to choose one?

Police or Military on the streets?

Peace

I pick Sheriffs jude11,
they are elected by the community.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
OK...I was raised being taught this was unconstitutional unless it was the National Guard protecting against invaders. Was I taught wrong?

Plus, if anyone read the whole article did you notice they are paying $11,000 extra to the military for this "privilege'?

So it's not to save money.

That's a BS excuse anyway, even it it was free.

Sad that most Americans do not know that this is wrong.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

More federal money is spent on Homeland Security than Health and Human Services.

US Defense budget 700 billion
Health and Human Services 88 Billion

So how's money being saved?
Georgia plays South Carolina nearly every year. Never heard of anything happening besides drunk college kids.
They are preparing the youth to live in a military fascist society. To us older Americans the sight of the military at a college games or public events is shocking. For the kids today this will be normal in the future. And trust it doesn't matter who is the POTUS.

Wake Up Bro! Before It's Too Late!!

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I get what you're saying, jude. Post 9/11, the NFL really upped its security protocol as well.

It's another instance of paranoia making the authorities of the campus, regional city and state preemptively overreact in an effort to dissuade a potential riot. I know American riots are nothing compared to those overseas, but the world is at another tipping point and the authority knows it.
edit on 6-10-2012 by DaTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

wouldn't really be any worse than cop running around with this shoot first ask later mentality. and who said anything about them running around with m16's the military does have access to pistols as well I am just saying perhaps these two thing could be consolidated into one save some money and work away on the national and international debt your country owes

Yeah, while you're thinking about that, take a look back through history and see how it turned out for all the other nations where the military were in control of law enforcement. There are a few examples, but they generally didn't last long, and those that are still like that are basically in a state of perpetual civil war.

I think it's too early to say that this is the moment of the nightmare becoming reality, because at this pace (from roadblocks and this to a full takeover) it will take them another couple of decades. People were on here years ago talking about the military checkpoints on roads in certain places in the US, and there are states to deal with individually.

It is definitely worrying though, and I think the USA is clearly heading towards something dangerous. But then I also think that the US was taken over in a silent military coup many years ago. You have a military Junta controlling things in the WH, not your elected president. It's the only way to explain everything that has happened in the US over the last few years.

Who knows, maybe Bush handed the US over the to the military in Sept 2001?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
What better way to run a prison containment test. Let the inmates invite themselves. Like funneling cows though a shoot at a slaughter house. The cows don't know what's coming next.
edit on 6-10-2012 by ga-`tv-gi because: Amerika

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

reply to post by jude11

Both to be honest ,I don't really like seeing military personnel riding around my city where I live with their suv's and gun turret mounted on the tops I find it rather in bad taste .

How ever the logic in me asks well why pay for two separate entities of law enforcement ( local and international) Why two sets of a lot of the same thing the military already have to local law enforcement .

do we really need two sets of drones for both teams

Ok, the logic is there from an economical stand point and no doubt this will be one of the ways to convince the Nation that the Military should be the law now, but if you had to choose one?

Police or Military on the streets?

Peace

sorry didn't notice this reply till this morning before I go to work . No never would I accept military on the street instead of police. If that what it would come to something is seriously wrong with society

edit but it sure appears to look that is where your country is trying to move towards and like all western nations will soon try to follow suit
edit on 6/10/12 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Columbia SC where this is happening, is run by inept, corrupt, incompetent, Democrats and has a gigantic problem with black on white violence, in my opinion of course. The black mayor and black police chief unfortunately pretend the problems are the (mostly white) USC college kids and underage drinking! Actually, the problems come from the highest ranked "college" for violent crime in America, Bennedict, in Columbia.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Thats a scary threat, but I'd wanna see some incriminating video of them actually enforcing civilian law. If someone gets that I'll go to my senators office here in Maine (whom is the head of the armed services committee) and see what they have to say about it myself. However if you do some research on it, posse comtatis is pretty much voluntary.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Really? REALLY? is this why we spend billions of dollars training our military so that they can provide crowd control at college football games? Either the government is BSing about the reason for doing this or someone needs to be brought up on charges of misappropriation of military resources.
I`m betting that this is a thinly disguised real world training excercise for when the SHTF
edit on 6-10-2012 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-10-2012 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
People thought 'Support the troops' was about being positive with the war on terror. It is brainwashing for a future military supported police state.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
trying to get us used to the feel, I'm assuming.
soon it will be "normal."

or perhaps they're there for a different reason (security threats.), with only the football game as a cover.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
S&F, Jude in support of your well-deserved outrage at this misuse of the military and most Americans' ambivalence to it.

Yesterday, I sat on a San Francisco pier watching an F-22 Raptor performing aerial maneuvers over the bay in preparation for this weekend's Fleet Week show. I marveled at its power and the way it seemed to fill up the whole sky with noise. I thought about what it must be like for poor desert farmers in some remote country to look up and see something like that. And then I thought, "What if it were coming after me?"

Suddenly, it wasn't so much fun anymore.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Go on the street and ask people what Posse Comitatus is. Most likely you will get an empty bewildered look that you a fancy Latin phrase…

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
So this is what most of us were raised learning about the military on US land:

The original provision was enacted as Section 15 of chapter 263, of the Acts of the 2nd session of the 45th Congress.
Sec. 15. From and after the passage of this act it shall not be lawful to employ any part of the Army of the United States, as a posse comitatus, or otherwise, for the purpose of executing the laws, except in such cases and under such circumstances as such employment of said force may be expressly authorized by the Constitution or by act of Congress ;
and no money appropriated by this act shall be used to pay any of the expenses incurred in the employment of any troops in violation of this section and any person willfully violating the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction thereof shall be punished by fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars or imprisonment not exceeding two years or by both such fine and imprisonment

[7] The text of the relevant legislation is as follows: 18 U.S.C. § 1385. Use of Army and Air Force as posse comitatus
Whoever, except in cases and under circumstances expressly authorized by the Constitution or Act of Congress, willfully uses any part of the Army or the Air Force as a posse comitatus or otherwise to execute the laws shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

Also notable is the following provision within Title 10 of the United States Code (which concerns generally the organization and regulation of the armed forces and Department of Defense):

10 U.S.C. § 375. Restriction on direct participation by military personnel The Secretary of Defense shall prescribe such regulations as may be necessary to ensure that any activity (including the provision of any equipment or facility or the assignment or detail of any personnel) under this chapter does not include or permit direct participation by a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps in a search, seizure, arrest, or other similar activity unless participation in such activity by such member is otherwise authorized by law.[/ex]

But in 2006 Pres. Bush signed a new bill:

Section 1076 is titled "Use of the Armed Forces in major public emergencies." It provided that:

The President may employ the armed forces... to... restore public order and enforce the laws of the United States when, as a result of a natural disaster, epidemic, or other serious public health emergency, terrorist attack or incident, or other condition... the President determines that... domestic violence has occurred to such an extent that the constituted authorities of the State or possession are incapable of maintaining public order... or [to] suppress, in a State, any insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination, or conspiracy if such... a condition... so hinders the execution of the laws... that any part or class of its people is deprived of a right, privilege, immunity, or protection named in the Constitution and secured by law... or opposes or obstructs the execution of the laws of the United States or impedes the course of justice under those laws.[9]

Then in it was repealed in it's entirety:

In 2008, these changes in the Insurrection Act of 1807 were repealed in their entirety, reverting to the previous wording of the Insurrection Act[10] that in its original form was written to limit Presidential power as much as possible in the event of insurrection, rebellion, or lawlessness.

Then comes 2012 and Pres Bush 2 or Obama as you know him:

In 2012, U.S. President Barack Obama signed the 2012 Defense Authorization Act into law. Section 1031, clause "b", article 2 defines a 'covered person', i.e., someone possibly subject to martial law, as the following: "A person who was a part of or substantially supported al-Qaeda, the Taliban, or associated forces that are engaged in hostilities against the United States or its coalition partners, including any person who has committed a belligerent act or has directly supported such hostilities in aid of such enemy forces." [11]

So there's some history....I know there is more in the current NDAA then is quoted here, but I am short on time so I can't read through it right now. I have a feeling we will find that the orders of the 2006 bill were reinstated, maybe in different words or context? If not than I cant find any legal purpose for this action...but I am no expert.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 6-10-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-10-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
Our country is being purposely turned into a police state.
This is not a joke and is not up for interpretation.
It is actually happening and guess what?

Most people are not only "OK" with it, not only do they "embrace it"
but they DEMAND it.

They WANT it.
So, I have realized that there is no longer any point in trying to get people to see what is going on here.
People KNOW what is going on..........and they LIKE it!!!

It is WE who are going to have to "wake up".
Wake up to the fact that this is our future and you are not just fighting "the gubberment" but you are fighting
90% of our country who want this.

This is what makes people feel "safe" which makes them "happy".
Good luck with getting people to agree to feel unsafe just so they can have some crappy "freedom".

The only reason anybody claims to want it, is they have irrational fears. All that needs to be done is to educate them that there is nothing real to fear and their support will disappear.

I'm not saying this is an easy task because there is tons of propaganda, but I don't think it's impossible they just have to care enough to look at what is actually going on around them. The truth is getting harder and harder to hide because the lies are becoming larger and larger.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Notice how many people are responding to this violation of American freedoms and rights thread Wrabbit2000?

I guess that answers your question as to where the line is.

I'm going to start posting these in the Rant forum because even tho many Americans don't seem to care, I do. And I'm getting angrier by the day that a Nation that prides itself on fighting for the freedoms and rights of the World's downtrodden won't even stand for themselves.

Peace

edit on 5-10-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

Excellent thread and very scary too, I think one reason people don't join this type of thread is that if you are not American and you chime in with a negative vibe you get shot down.

I am familiar with the "you are an a American hater and that is all you post is anti USA."

It seems to me a lot of people in the US have very thin skins and very little tolerance for any critical thinking.

After this post I am counting the seconds down, 1,2,3, Yep here it comes any minute now!

S&F regardless of the abuse I am about to suffer.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder

Notice how many people are responding to this violation of American freedoms and rights thread Wrabbit2000?

I guess that answers your question as to where the line is.

I'm going to start posting these in the Rant forum because even tho many Americans don't seem to care, I do. And I'm getting angrier by the day that a Nation that prides itself on fighting for the freedoms and rights of the World's downtrodden won't even stand for themselves.

Peace

edit on 5-10-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

Excellent thread and very scary too, I think one reason people don't join this type of thread is that if you are not American and you chime in with a negative vibe you get shot down.

I am familiar with the "you are an a American hater and that is all you post is anti USA."

It seems to me a lot of people in the US have very thin skins and very little tolerance for any critical thinking.

After this post I am counting the seconds down, 1,2,3, Yep here it comes any minute now!

S&F regardless of the abuse I am about to suffer.

Regards, Iwinder

Well, I'm not American and it's my thread.

I don't think you have to be from any certain Nation to have the right to be angry about what's happening because it is having an effect on the entire Globe.

What happens in the US is going to spread to Canada then beyond and Americans are on the front lines of this war against the freedoms of the people. All people. Most of us just want the US to stand and deliver, that's it, that's all.

Instead of worrying about what goes on half way across the globe, look to the front yard. If it isn't stopped there, we are all going to suffer. We can't do it so it's up to the average Joe US citizen to lead the way.

Look at Spain, Greece, Italy etc...all in the streets and mad as hell while Iceland throws out the bankers and goes after them with Interpol.

OWS (Which I supported from the start) is just a bunch of people standing around drum circles, chanting mighty slogans and face painting while they get dragged off by the gestapo.

The World can't do this alone and it goes much deeper than Military at a football game.

Peace

edit on 6-10-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join