It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officer Who Hit Woman Will Be Fired

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Well, at least justice is served in this case, for once.
I am really surprised that he was fired, usually its Administrative leave, (paid vacation) and then, when the story blows over, they get reinstated.
NOT THIS TIME

Link

Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey will take "Commissioner's Direct Action" against Lt. Jonathan Josey, the Philadelphia police officer who hit a woman during a public event on Sunday. That means that effective on Thursday, Lt. Josey will be suspended for 30 days with the intent to dismiss. Josey was caught on video striking Aida Guzman during a traffic stop on Sunday. Josey was part of a crowd gathered for festivities after the Puerto Rican Parade and Josey was the commanding officer on the scene. The video shows Josey right after she sprayed silly string near the officer. Josey was with several other officers involved at the time in a traffic stop. He turns around and hits Guzman, who falls to the ground. Guzman was quickly handcuffed, led off with a bloody lip by other officers and later charged with disorderly conduct. Those charges were dropped on Wednesday, shortly before we learned that Josey was losing his job. Guzman's attorney, Enrique Latoison, says his client never asked for the lieutenant to be fired, but what she does want is an apology.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Union appeals and he is back on or he moves to another region and gets hired on.

Either way, he will still be a cop. But commissioner is doing the right thing.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
This needs to be flagged as much as the CopS w/control issues. We need to celebrate those that do the right thing.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tracehd1
This needs to be flagged as much as the CopS w/control issues. We need to celebrate those that do the right thing.

I agree..we need to applaud those who take action against these types of actions by police.

So nice to read a thread about a police department doing the right thing..

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I hope all the "brave" men hiding behind a badge will realize now that there are repercussions to abusing their power. Hitting a woman in the face because he got wet...what a freakin baby.

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Fired, thats it? Intent to dismiss???

So if I attack someone, a woman, I can lose my job?

Where are the assault and battery charges?

The city knows they lost this one. They can smell the law suits.

edit on 5-10-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Yea, I agree that charges should be filed but you and I both know they want. Her only option is to go for a civil case.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
And in other news officer who hit woman to be rehired at another Department as soon as the media attention dies down.

+7 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Union appeals and he is back on or he moves to another region and gets hired on.

Actually the Commissioner is NOT doing the right thing.

The right thing to do here is charge this man with assault, just like you or I would be charged with assault had we done the exact same thing.

This guy will lose his job, and probably go over the bridge to work in New Jersey or go to work out in the suburban areas of Philadelphia. In the end- he will still be a cop. He will still have a job in law enforcement while he himself violates the law when he wants to.

The right thing? Absolutely NOT! CHARGE HIM for his crime! Then we can say the right thing was done.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

Originally posted by jam321

Actually the Commissioner is NOT doing the right thing.

The right thing to do here is charge this man with assault, just like you or I would be charged with assault had we done the exact same thing.

This guy will lose his job, and probably go over the bridge to work in New Jersey or go to work out in the suburban areas of Philadelphia. In the end- he will still be a cop. He will still have a job in law enforcement while he himself violates the law when he wants to.

The right thing? Absolutely NOT! CHARGE HIM for his crime! Then we can say the right thing was done.

You make a great point..so..

I retract what I said..though it is still a small step in the right direction.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

Again I have to respectfully disagree, it is not a small step in the right direction. It is deflection. It is a way to give instant gratification to the masses while not actually addressing the problem.

A person like this has no business enforcing the law when he feels he is above the law and the law does not apply to him.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

Again I have to respectfully disagree, it is not a small step in the right direction. It is deflection. It is a way to give instant gratification to the masses while not actually addressing the problem.

A person like this has no business enforcing the law when he feels he is above the law and the law does not apply to him.

But didn't they at least address that he has no business enforcing the law, by canning him?

Yes, he should have been charged, but in my opinion they did address that he has no business enforcing the law within their department.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
So... If you simply punch someone in a fit of anger or whatever lack of judgement overcame this idiot, you'll be fired and stripped of your badge in days. However, if he'd turned and shot her outright, he'd be on paid leave for months or years while the whole thing worked it's way through enless legal crap, union fights, appeals and on and on.

How the heck does that work? The more serious the offense, the LESS LIKELY to be fired in reasonable time? (like...as soon as bad behavior is confirmed..and let the courts decide criminal penalty and DEGREE of guilt later)

It's not that I disagree with him being canned,..although it leaves me with a funny feeling without knowing more of his record. This is a man's career...a familys likely sole means of support..and he hit her. He didn't kill her... Parking enforcement duty on the midnight tour for the next 10 years may have been far more effective than firing for a new start elsewhere, actually....

...it's just how different justice seems to move and in the WRONG direction for gravity of offense.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Well I now have a good way to harass cops.

Just throw water on them, and if they punch me, I can sue the department for harassment.

After, it's absolutely okay to throw water on a cop and he shouldn't retaliate in any way. he's a cop and has to be held to a higher standard of behavior. They can't do anything to defend themselves if somebody throws water on them.

Thanks guys, I now have a great new money making scheme!

I can't wait until the thousands of dollars roll in!

Money! Here it comes!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

I agree that the cop should be charged and seeing that the story hasn't ended he just might be. Will have to wait and see what the DA decides on doing. But the commissioner firing him was the right thing to do. Now it's time for the DA to step up to the plate.

Ramsey also indicated Josey could face criminal counts. "Obviously, he could be criminally charged. The DA would have to make that decision," he told KYW.

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

As the video showed, she didnt throw the water

They can't do anything to defend themselves if somebody throws water on them.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I wonder how come there is no video from the incident?

edit on 5-10-2012 by sylent6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

I didn't say the woman.

Right back at you.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sylent6

There is video, it's in the other thread.

The cop's mistake was he hit the wrong person, and that's really it. And it doesn't matter that somebody threw water on him.

He should've made sure of who he was punching.

But I personally still support him. Throwing water on somebody is a punchable offense. You've just got to make sure you have the right person. If you're not sure, don't punch somebody.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

lol, ok man, my bad. Misread your post

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join