It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those days be shortened for the sake of the ELECT

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by pthena
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

I looked up the beliefs of Missionary Baptists in order to ascertain where these ideas about Jews and the elect might be coming from.

I went to the missionarybaptistchurches[dot]com website and read the whole What We Believe. Result:

1) No mention of Israel.
2) No mention of Jews
3) No mention of pre-trib rapture.
4) Election mentioned once in ARTICLE IX OF GOD'S PURPOSE OF GRACE
"We believe that election is the eternal purpose of God, according to which He graciously regenerates, sanctifies and saves sinners;"

I might suggest that if your local congregation is caught up in Darbyite teaching, that it just may be departing from the historic roots of Missionary Baptists.
edit on 28-10-2012 by pthena because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-10-2012 by pthena because: (no reason given)

I'm nondenominational even though i do go to a missionary baptist church and the pretrib rapture does have support in scripture. My wife is the missionary baptist. Ultimately it doesn't matter wether you believe it's pre or post, it's not a requirement for salvation. I do not limit myself to specific doctrines of thought within the church, that leads to sectarianism and Jesus forbade that. I do share some of baptist beliefs but i also share beliefs of other churches as long as they are scripturally sound. I also go to a church that meets on tuesdays and friday nights that has some jewish roots, and associate with messianic jews.

I also never said Election was primarily for jews. The elect are those who have become part of the church which has been around for 3500 years, unlike the 2000 years many people think when it was formed. I do not support replacement theory, but rather that the gentile believers are adopted into Israel through Jesus Christ. Again, the cultivated olive tree and the wild olive tree branches grafted in. The cultivated olive tree was already in place, it just got new and different branches.
edit on 28-10-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

The cultivated olive tree was already in place, it just got new and different branches.

Where does it say the tree is the Jews in Romans 11?
It doesn't.
What some people do is find a mention of a "cultivated tree" in the Gospel, then call the tree in Romans cultivated.
"Cultivated" in the Gospel story means literally cultivated, as in digging around it.
The Romans tree is the opposite of wild, meaning it is the product of some sort of selective breeding.
So you are using semantics peculiar to the English language to interpret something in an ancient language.
edit on 28-10-2012 by jmdewey60 because: add Bible quote: "For the creation eagerly waits for the revelation of the sons of God." Romans 8:19

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Who are the Elect in the bible? The Elect are the natural born jewish decendants of Abraham. Many christians believe this refers to the church but this is not so. The Elect are they who were originally chosen to bear the Light of the Word. But because they rejected the Light it was then given to the gentile peoples until the time would come when the Elect could take up the cause.

The Elect were given an invitation, to a wedding but like many people often do many were "too busy" to attend, and so the King sent out invitations to all peoples across the land so that His Son would have people in attendence to His wedding feast. The invitation the Elect were given was a special invitation, bordered in gold with fancy lettering as befitt those of familial relation. In essence, out of 100 to recieve that invitation, only a handful would accept and be present, so the call to the rest of the neighorhood went out.

This is not to say that only the Elect were meant for salvation, for "Many are called but few are chosen". It means that many will be called but few are of the Elect, the Chosen. The Elect are reserved the special seats at the banquet table closer to the groom than the rest of the neighborhood. This is not to say that we should be jealous of them, but that we should be happy that our esteemed brothers should come, and that we are able to come with them.

In Revelation "those days" are not shortened for the church, because the church will not be here at that time, but it is for the sake of the Elect that those days be shortened so that God can keep his covenant with Abraham and with Jacob.

Hi lonewolf///
The Lord Jesus Christ says ....A promise to His Apostles concerning the Church: I will build my church
, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it (Matt. 16:18).
The CHURCH is the PEOPLE.
Church in Greek is EKKLISIA...meaning the people.
Here the word “Church” should be understood as those faithful to Christ and following His teaching.
With the words “gates of hell”, the Saviour points out every type of persecutor of the Church,
for example,
temptations,
heresies,
and all forces used by the devil, including the Antichrist...
For the sake of the elect?
Scripture///
For than shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time; no, nor ever shall be.
And except those days should be shortened,
there should no flesh be saved; but for the elect’s sake those days will be shortened (Matt. 24:21, 22).
The Antichrist and false prophet/s shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch,
that if it were possible,
they shall deceive the very elect (Matt. 24:24)
The elect would have to be those that did not bow or receive the MARK of the Antichrist....if at that time temptation is all around...things will get so bad that those days will be shortened for the sake of not falling into temptation.

ICXC NIKA

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by helen6700

People believed in Jesus before he arrived. Even Moses believed in the Savior, but they knew his name as YHWH.

John 5:45-47

45 Do not think that I shall accuse you to the Father; there is one who accuses you—Moses, in whom you trust. 46 For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me. 47 But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

People believed in Jesus before he arrived. Even Moses believed in the Savior, but they knew his name as YHWH.

45 Do not think that I shall accuse you to the Father; there is one who accuses you—Moses, in whom you trust. 46 For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me. 47 But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”

Hi,
Yes, agree with your statement!
Isn't the Old Testament the pre figuration of The New Testament?

ICXC NIKA

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Isaiah used a word that can be translated as savior in a way that logically you would connect with YHWH, that name being in the same chapter.
The quote by Jesus was not about Moses writing about an angel he met in the wilderness but a specific prophecy of one that would come who was like him in that he spoke according to what The Lord gave him to say.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

I would imagine that God saw these people who believed in a divine sort of person who would lead them into righteousness and decided to send his son there, hoping they would receive him.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Gates are defensive structures, not offensive ones.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by helen6700

Hi,

ICXC NIKA

Indeed it is. It's the foreshadowing of what was to come, and it's also a glimpse into who God truly is and just who exactly it was that created us and everything else. In the OT we see God's wrath and how he views lawlessness, and in the NT we see his mercy and his forgiveness and new commandments to follow.

In the book of Isaiah we see just who exactly it was on Mt. Sinai with Moses when he revealed his glory, and Jesus also tells us in John 5, 8, 10 and 14 and in Matthew 12, amoung the various other scriptures in Matthew and John where Jesus is worshipped. He is revealing himself to us in the scriptures.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Gates are defensive structures, not offensive ones.

Hi NOTurTypical///

Gates are defensive structures,not offensive?

I dont quite understand what your trying to tell me?

Are you talking about the 'gates of hell' from Scripture?

ICXC NIKA

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by helen6700

Hi,

ICXC NIKA

Indeed it is. It's the foreshadowing of what was to come, and it's also a glimpse into who God truly is and just who exactly it was that created us and everything else. In the OT we see God's wrath and how he views lawlessness, and in the NT we see his mercy and his forgiveness and new commandments to follow.

In the book of Isaiah we see just who exactly it was on Mt. Sinai with Moses when he revealed his glory, and Jesus also tells us in John 5, 8, 10 and 14 and in Matthew 12, amoung the various other scriptures in Matthew and John where Jesus is worshipped. He is revealing himself to us in the scriptures.

Hi again,

Yes in total agreement!
There are many passages in the old Testament that reveals His Glory as the Messiah!
~Messianic Prophecies~

ICXC NIKA

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by guitarplayer
reply to post by Augustine62

"The elect are most definitely Christians who subscribe to the teachings and doctrines of the Church Jesus established."

And what church is that?

The Catholic Church and none other.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Augustine62

Originally posted by guitarplayer
reply to post by Augustine62

"The elect are most definitely Christians who subscribe to the teachings and doctrines of the Church Jesus established."

And what church is that?

The Catholic Church and none other.

Hi Augustine62/

The Catholic Church as in the Universal Church that was before the Great Schism?
ICXC NIKA

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join