It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've Had A Change Of Heart On The Boy Scouts.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Its not discomfort its fear - - gotta protect the "MANHOOD".

Men are hilarious that way.

Fearful of what?? As if a gay guy showering next to me takes away MY manhood?

Try to make sense next time......

Funny - - percentage by gender - - there are probably more lesbians in the military then gays. How often to you hear women fearing Lesbian's checking them out?

What difference does it make? Do you think heterosexual women want to shower with lesbians?

You dodged my question about your daughter…..can I shower with her and check her out? Are you cool with your 18 year old high-school daughter showering with a guy??? What if she was 19? or 14? Should we draw the line where YOU think it should be?

edit on 27-9-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by Annee

Please keep it civil.

What are you talking about? First - I did not bring the subject up. Why don't you address the one who did and tell him to be civil?

After he gave his explanation - he asked me if I still thought it was fear. I do.

So please. Have you heard of females in the military complaining about taking showers with lesbians? I haven't.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Annee

Its not discomfort its fear - - gotta protect the "MANHOOD".

Men are hilarious that way.

Fearful of what?? As if a gay guy shower next to me takes away MY manhood?

Funny - - percentage by gender - - there are probably more lesbians in the military then gays. How often to you hear women fearing Lesbian's checking them out?

What difference does it make? Do you think heterosexual women want to shower with lesbians?

You dodged my question about your daughter…..can I shower with her and check her out?

Apparently we aren't suppose to discuss this. It's not civil.

Actually - - I have no problem showering with lesbians. I don't know any women who do. Maybe there are - - but I don't know any.

About showering with my daughter. Actually - - being naked around men is not an issue with me. I think we need to get over ourselves.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Apparently we aren't suppose to discuss this. It's not civil.

Yes, I saw that. Disregard that post!

Actually - - I have no problem showering with lesbians. I don't know any women who do. Maybe there are - - but I don't know any.

So society should conform to what you believe and what you know to be true? Does that seem fair to the rest of us?

About showering with my daughter. Actually - - being naked around men is not an issue with me. I think we need to get over ourselves.

How old is she and what’s her number?

KIDDING, Annee!!!!

This discussion is about Boy Scouts. If you had a 10 year old boy in scouts and he was going to sleep and shower with a 14 year old gay boy that would be OK with you?

Just asking! There is no wrong answer…it would just settle this argument, because if you don’t see a problem the discussion is over; we agree to disagree.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

ATTENTION!!!

For those who may have forgotten, this is the topic:

I've Had A Change Of Heart On The Boy Scouts.

Please stay on topic.

We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

You are responsible for your own posts.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Boy Scouts isn't a Christian organization. It is about Indians and what you can learn from them. It's not about Jesus. They are Scouts I think you are supposed to drop your religion at the door. I think Boy Scouts is a great organization but like any other it depends on the people in charge. There are racists, homophobes, pedophiles and religious nuts who've infiltrated most groups, Boy Scouts included, but I really don't think they are the norm.
edit on 27-9-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Except the Scout oath includes duty to god first and foremost.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Except the Scout oath includes duty to god first and foremost.

On my honor, I will do my best To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; To help other people at all times; To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

I think that is something that's added depending on whether people agree or want it in there. My brother was a scout leader when his kids were young and I am pretty sure "God" wasn't in their oath or if it was it was more of a formality. I think they are pretty loose with regard to what God you choose.

DUTY TO GOD AND COUNTRY: Your family and religious leaders teach you to know and serve God. By following these teachings, you do your duty to God.

usscouts.org...
In the case of the Indians God was sometimes an animal spirit and all around all the time anyway. Mostly the Scouts are about survival and not faith. They teach you how to survive in the woods.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

My Scout leader required prayer to God at the beginning and end of every Scout Meeting i attended. I simply didn't say anything and that pissed him off to no end.

Edit:

And we are getting off topic.

edit on 27-9-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

My Scout leader required prayer to God at the beginning and end of every Scout Meeting i attended. I simply didn't say anything and that pissed him off to no end.

Edit:

And we are getting off topic.

edit on 27-9-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

Well that's kind of sad. I mean it isn't a religious group and sad that people are trying to turn it into one. I also don't see how this can possibly be off topic. Isn't this your thread? Was there a sentence structure we are supposed to stick with? We're still talking about the Boy Scouts and their place in the world right? Cest que cest problemo?

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I wanted it to be about the discrimination of the scouts against people who aren't religious and the receiving of public funding.

Sorry.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Here's my take on the Boy Scouts - it's just another control mechanism.

Some time ago, I had a blown cap on my AC, and called what I thought was a reputable local outfit. They sold me a new cap, and I put it in. However, my sister-in-law's boyfriend found out that they had sold me a slightly different value of cap, and made me take it back. He got me the right one, and told me that the cap they said was close enough would cost me some big bucks down the road. As I was waiting for the refund, I noted a plaque stating that the owners were former Eagle Scouts. Nice. I got home and threw away the magnetized card which I was going to put on the furnace to refer to for future problems. Former Eagle Scouts? It got me to thinking.

I made First Class, and had little interest in going on to Star, Life, or Eagle. Thinking back years later, I realized that every member of our troop who made Eagle turned out to be a big-time asshole. So, I have to ask, do assholes become Eagle Scouts, or does making Eagle turn you into one?

Another thing I have wondered about: "Scouting for Boys" - is "Scouting" here a noun or a verb? Remember that the Boy Scouts were founded by British Aristocrats... Makes you wonder...

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

In the military, females aren’t allowed in male’s barracks after a certain time. Why is that appropriate discrimination yet its cool if homosexuals sleep in the same room as heterosexuals??

Well straight females and males are sexually interested in each other. That is the difference. What is the reason for separating homosexual men with HETEROSEXUAL - STRAIGHT men? Nothing is going to happen because straight men aren't sexually interested in men; so, it's not like anything is going to happen... right? ... RIGHT!?

Unless you aren't really straight and that is what the fear is all about...

reply to post by seabag

Fearful of what?? As if a gay guy showering next to me takes away MY manhood?

Exactly, so why the discrimination? Nothing is going to happen between a gay man and a straight man because straight men are NOT interested in men at all...

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DrNotforhire

I call bull on this entire show and teller is just a loud mouth liberal with no proof and that show is just as bad

Uh no, he's actually a right wing libertarian.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

It’s not a big deal to gay soldiers but I certainly don’t want any meat gazers while I’m showering; that’s not fair to straight service members!

Gay dudes are gonna fantasize about other men in or out of the shower...according to your line of thought they should be banished from society because you can't handle the thought of gay guys being attracted to you.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

So society should conform to what you believe and what you know to be true? Does that seem fair to the rest of us?

You asked the question. I just gave my personal opinion.

How old is she and what’s her number?

KIDDING, Annee!!!!

This discussion is about Boy Scouts. If you had a 10 year old boy in scouts and he was going to sleep and shower with a 14 year old gay boy that would be OK with you?

Yes - actually I would.

Maybe my son is gay too - - and it might help him in his own awareness.

What? Do you think a 14 year old is going to rape his tentmate because he is gay? That's pretty absurd.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

I'm a fan of Penn And Teller's show, Bullsh**. One of their episodes is aimed at the Boy Scouts of America and how they now discriminate against homosexuals and atheists.

The main points of the show is that it has been co-opted by the Mormon Church and is being turned into another Christian group who discriminates against anything that isn't Christian.

*snip*

So in short, I can no longer support the BSA discriminatory practices any more because it uses public funding. If it didn't use public funding, I would still say "so what" to the objections of some people, because I firmly believe in the right to privacy and the right of association.

Alright, first off, I have to correct something they apparently said (will take your word for that, as I have no intention of ever watching a P&T episode again). The Boy Scouts are not a Mormon group. Nor, for that matter, are Mormons the same as Christians. Yes, I know Mormons think they are, but in fact most Christians don't. The reason is that they (the LDS church) don't accept the deity of Christ. Now, they have every right to believe as they wish, but there are differences, and if one is making a comment on an organization, they should strive to be more accurate.

Second, your objection is public funds? Proof, please, and not some P&T video. They have the right, as does any other group, to use public spaces.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Mormons Taking Over Scouting?

By Austin Cline, November 21, 2003

Many readers are surely aware of the fact that there continue to be legal and social problems due to the Boy Scouts' discrimination and bigotry against atheists and gays. What readers may not realize is just how much of this may be ultimately due to the efforts of the Mormon church. Mormons control a significant percentage of all Boy Scout troops; if policies change to treat gays and atheists equally, the Mormons will walk - taking all of their money with them.

As MSNBC reports, Mormon involvement in Scouting has even reached the point where Brigham Young University is offering a new major in Scouting:

The Boy Scouts are the official boys’ youth group of the LDS, and more than one in nine Scouts are Mormons. Critics say the church exerts disproportionate influence through membership on the national advisory council and vigorous fund-raising. (In New York, LDS leaders recently launched a fund-raising campaign with pamphlets carrying an endorsement from the church’s current prophet.)

Next to the Mormons, the Roman Catholic Church is also a major supporter of the Boy Scouts and their endorsement of anti-gay and anti-atheist policies has been crucial for the continued bigotry and discrimination.

atheism.about.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

Here's a couple for you:

en.wikipedia.org...

www.thehumanist.org...

And don't dismiss a show just because. It's doesn't mean they do not have an invalid point. That in itself is a fallacy. They do have some legitimate points in the episode about the discrimination.

And saying that Mormons aren't true Christians is the no true Scotsman fallacy.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join