It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've Had A Change Of Heart On The Boy Scouts.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DrNotforhire

exactly. I was a girl scout...
I just sold cookies!

but my brother was a boy scout, it taught him a lot. it is also a very high honor to make it to an Eagle Scout.
I find nothing wrong with the "scouts."

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Come on .. might as well take a teenage boy and place him in a girl scout sleep over.
I agree 100% That is exactly why I oppose gays serving in the military. Letting a gay man sleep in a room with 80-100 straight men is exactly the same as letting a straight man sleep in a room with 80-100 straight women.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by novemberecho

exactly. I was a girl scout...
I just sold cookies!
The girl scouts were one of the best things about scouting. You could usually sneak from your camp to theirs...

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

How can you pull its federal funding for exercising its constitutional rights?

If it's a private organization it should receive only private funding, not public funding.

If something is receiving public funding, it should not discriminate because in public there is no right to privacy.

I thought I made that point clear.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
I agree 100% That is exactly why I oppose gays serving in the military. Letting a gay man sleep in a room with 80-100 straight men is exactly the same as letting a straight man sleep in a room with 80-100 straight women.

The only people who make this argument are the ones who COULDN'T help themselves if put with 80-100 women.

If you can't keep it in your pants, that is YOUR problem. NOT gays.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy

The only people who make this argument are the ones who COULDN'T help themselves if put with 80-100 women.

If you can't keep it in your pants, that is YOUR problem. NOT gays.
I can keep it in my pants, so the women should be just fine with me sleeping there? They should not be bothered by me showering with them, or watching them dress or anything else? That is your position?

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Would you want boys and girls sleeping together? No.. no you wouldn't. Would you want your boy sleeping with a boy who likes to have sex with .. boys? No .. because it's the same thing.

That sums it up.

All the people who argue against this logic are confused or so focused on their agenda that they are intentionally overlooking the obvious conflict. I understand that a little gay scout isn’t going to be forcing himself on other boys (at least I hope not) but it’s the fact that you’re basically leaving your children to sleep unsupervised with what amounts to ‘the opposite sex’ and that, as a parent, is unacceptable at that age.

No apology from me to gay people on this stance….it is what it is.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

So we went from "sleep in the same room" to showering with them? Big leep there, no?

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
I understand that a little gay scout isn’t going to be forcing himself on other boys (at least I hope not) but it’s the fact that you’re basically leaving your children to sleep unsupervised with what amounts to ‘the opposite sex’ and that, as a parent, is unacceptable at that age.

So, just because a straight boy CAN have sex with a gay boy, he's going to do it?

You people must have sex, sex, sex on the mind at all times.

Or think that ALL men are sex crazed [SNIP]?
edit on 27-9-2012 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-9-2012 by burdman30ott6 because: Mod Note: Please keep it classy. Posts should always be within the grounds of decorum.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

reply to post by DarthMuerte

So we went from "sleep in the same room" to showering with them? Big leep there, no?

Have you ever served in the military? Rhetorical question. Your statement shows me that you haven't. There are no private showers on board ship, or in boot camp for example. Privacy is basically non-existent. Go buy yourself a clue.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

So, just because a gay boy CAN have sex with a straight boy, he's going to do it?

You people must have sex, sex, sex on the mind at all times.

Or think that ALL men are sex crazed [SNIP]?
Do you have a daughter? Would you be okay with your teenaged daughter sleeping in the same tent with a teenaged boy even if he promised not to try anything?

edit on 27-9-2012 by burdman30ott6 because: removed lack of decorum in quote

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Have you ever served in the military? Rhetorical question. Your statement shows me that you haven't. There are no private showers on board ship, or in boot camp for example. Privacy is basically non-existent. Go buy yourself a clue.

I've also heard from those IN the military that it is no big deal as a shower scene in boot camp is far from a shower scene in prison.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

Please watch the episode before make assumptions about it.

It does show proof of the discrimination and who is doing and the public funding.

What the Boy Scouts was and what it is today are not necessarily the same thing.

Scouting originated in Britain and was based on the military. The original oath said: I will do my duty to God and the King. I would not call it religious based - - but duty to country based. (read the 1908 laws).

The organization followed the social prejudice of this country - discriminating against blacks and Jews. Blacks - - Jews and even Muslims eventually formed their own groups.

There is kind of a DADT rule in Boy Scouts. As long as you don't make waves that you are Atheist or Gay - - you're OK.

I was Mormon for 5 years. I am fully aware they think they "own" the Boy Scouts. I know the history where they campaigned and organized neighborhood churches and religious supportive businesses to sponsor and support local troops. Making the Boy Scouts more and more related to religion.

Its not too different then how the Religious Right has latched on to the Republican Party.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know how old the Penn and Teller video is - - - but the Boy Scouts have lost most government funding and a lot of corporate support as well.

They've painted themselves into a Religious corner - - - kind of like the Republicans have.

The Girl Scouts are fully non-discriminatory.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

The original air date of the episode was April 3rd, 2006.

So it's relatively recent.

It also stresses that this discrimination is a fairly new phenomenon and ahs only been around for a few decades.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Do you have a daughter? Would you be okay with your teenaged daughter sleeping in the same tent with a teenaged boy even if he promised not to try anything?

If I can not trust my daughter, then I failed as a parent.

For the record, we used to camp out and get drunk with girls all the time when we were teenagers. No one got raped. Maybe you need to have a talk with your daughter if you are soo scared of her having a life?

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I've also heard from those IN the military that it is no big deal as a shower scene in boot camp is far from a shower scene in prison.

Thus a room full of women should be ok showering with me? They should not be allowed to be offended at my presence as long as I don't touch them? Yeah, right.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Sigh.

Make a post about discrimination and people make it about teenage sex.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

It also stresses that this discrimination is a fairly new phenomenon and ahs only been around for a few decades.

It seems the discrimination goes with whatever the current social discrimination is.

Before race equality -- blacks were discriminated against. Atheists started asserting themselves in the 50s - - so they were banned from Boy Scouts. Now its gays.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

If something is receiving public funding, it should not discriminate because in public there is no right to privacy.

That’s not what the Supreme Court said.

They have every right to exclude gays.

Boy Scouts of America et al. v. Dale, 530 U.S. 640 (2000), was a case of the Supreme Court of the United States decided on June 28, 2000, that held that the constitutional right to freedom of association allows a private organization like the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) to exclude a person from membership when "the presence of that person affects in a significant way the group's ability to advocate public or private viewpoints."[1] The Supreme Court ruled that opposition to homosexuality is part of BSA's "expressive message" and that allowing homosexuals as adult leaders would interfere with that message.
Wiki

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Its only been in the last few years the public, government, and corporations have openly gotten on board in support of gay equality. Not that it really matters but Teller is gay.

Intel will not fund Boy Scouts of America until ban on gay scouts and scout leaders ends Friday, September 21, 2012 - 6:04pm by Rich Ferraro, Vice President of Communications

www.glaad.org...

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join