It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marion County school officials ponder return to paddling students

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Would love to see this idea re-implemented into the schooling system. Lets see if she will succeed or not.

The idea of corporal punishment in schools may seem like something out of another era, but school officials in Marion County may bring the practice of paddling back, according to a report from FLORIDA TODAY news partner WKMG Local 6.

Incoming school board member Carol Ely supports paddling as a form of discipline, and she may have the support to influence the school board to vote in the affirmative.

LINK
edit on 25-9-2012 by hp1229 because: add link

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Tue Sep 25 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I agree, it is a good idea. When I was a kid, none of the stupid crap went on like you see today. The reason, we were scared out of our mind to get into too much trouble because that meant a trip to the PE coach......Mr. Tingle. He had about 10 different paddles and would make you choose which one you got your arse torn up with. And let me tell you, I went once. After that, I never got in trouble again......ever.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
There has never been a time in my life time where there is less respect for those who have athority than today. I was taught to respect others from childhood up. This came from my parents and I am very thankful for their disipline and love.
edit on 25-9-2012 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
This might be a good idea as long as it doesn't get out of hand and somebody takes it to far. Kids do not get enough discipline these days. Some kids don't get any.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ucantcme
This might be a good idea as long as it doesn't get out of hand and somebody takes it to far. Kids do not get enough discipline these days. Some kids don't get any.
Agree. There are several misfits in the teaching community as well. However it should be administered and possibly monitored accordingly during the punishment.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
My first year of teaching, I had 26 first grade children. No discipline, but I was to tender hearted to paddle.

The next year, I bit the bullet and paddled a student. Although the actual paddling was private, our walk to the door was not....you could've heard a pin drop.

I had no more discipline problems that year.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187
There has never been a time in my life time where there is less respect for those who have athority than today. I was taught to respect others from childhood up. This came from my parents and I am very thankful for their disipline and love.
edit on 25-9-2012 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)
Likewise here as well. It starts with parenting and family values and extends it outwards through the teaching community...Discipline that is.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

You just might get a legal go at it if all the states go for it...in the future

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
This is a two edged sword. Some of the kids out there could use a good wallop from time to time, then there are teachers who will use it for every little infraction. I had teachers like that in school. Chewing gum 1 lick - talking out loud 2 licks - no other punishment was ever used, just the paddle. One teacher even took kids to her husband, who was the wrestling coach. Very big, strong man who could and would lift students off the ground with every swing.
Some are going to say, "If they follow the rules, they have nothing to be afraid of" Where have we heard that one? This type of punishment should be monitored by more than 1 teacher and used as a last resort.
On a personal note, I've raised some pretty good kids, never had trouble in school or out. so I don't expect to run into this. If so, they will be punished at home, to a degree my wife and I think proper. No one will hit my kids for any reason.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
How could any of you think it is ok for a non parent to use physical means to punish your kids?

Do you also think it is ok if your boss beats you everytime you make a mistake at work?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
before they worry about punishment, maybe they should educate the children first. if there are kids that are disruptive and / or violent, then they should not be allowed in school. hold the kids and the parents responsible for their conduct. some will say that it is unfair to the children , but why should these kids be given a chance to interfere with the kids that actually care about school. most of these parents use school as a day care and dont care if their kids learn but expect their kids to be treated like royalty even if they are little heathens.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
This is a two edged sword. Some of the kids out there could use a good wallop from time to time, then there are teachers who will use it for every little infraction. I had teachers like that in school. Chewing gum 1 lick - talking out loud 2 licks - no other punishment was ever used, just the paddle. One teacher even took kids to her husband, who was the wrestling coach. Very big, strong man who could and would lift students off the ground with every swing.
Some are going to say, "If they follow the rules, they have nothing to be afraid of" Where have we heard that one? This type of punishment should be monitored by more than 1 teacher and used as a last resort.
On a personal note, I've raised some pretty good kids, never had trouble in school or out. so I don't expect to run into this. If so, they will be punished at home, to a degree my wife and I think proper. No one will hit my kids for any reason.

Yes, it is two-edged. Personally, as a parent, I would want to be contacted BEFORE any corporal punishment took place. As a teacher, I would use this as a last resort...and I mean last resort. No matter how bad the child's behavior on a given day, I would first contact and conference with the parents, discuss the problem with the counselor, and try behavior contracts and other ideas first. IMO, the only time to use the paddle would be as a last resort. And if the parents were completely opposed to it, then I wouldn't paddle that child under any circumstances.

You sound like an involved parent....children of involved parents are rarely the problem with regards to discipline.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
How could any of you think it is ok for a non parent to use physical means to punish your kids?

Do you also think it is ok if your boss beats you everytime you make a mistake at work?
That depends on how you look at the teacher. IMO, teaching and medical professions are noble. Big difference in comparing kids to qualified professionals at work.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
good idea, i do agree a witness should be required so to make sure things don't go too far. maybe even have another do it so as to keep any anger from affecting the paddler.

i once had a teacher who used a paddle (this while it was not allowed). but THE WAY HE USED IT WAS KEY. first off you had a choice, either loose a mark or "the board of education". this was used for safety violations in an industrial shop class where we had many dangerous things to work with. now the trick with him was that the "smack" was actually a rather light tap, it was more about public chastisement than pain. it WAS EFFECTIVE as even just the call of "loose a mark" generally was enough to gain the attention of the class to a safety issue to watch out for" . now under this teacher the class was behaved and safe. when the board broke (heck it had had a bad crack in it for years). one kid mentioned it at home in front of a lawyer type. (he had just been commenting that the board had finally broken and needed replacement). the lawyer type IMMEDIATELY went on a crusade and the best old master woodworker was retired.

to replace him they brought in a crappy cabinet maker who had no clue how to work with real wood as opposed to plywood. sadly with that teacher classes became out of control. as this teachers version of discipline was "please don't do that". including when a fellow student started to use a drill on my head and was almost more teed off with me when after repeated attempts of me telling the kid to stop i ripped the drill out of his hands and whipped it at him. what a difference discipline made. too bad the teacher hadn't had the guts to stop this kid doing dangerous things, but hey what could he do after all the last teacher had been let go because of daring to touch students doing stuff wrong. guess i was supposed to let myself be injured instead.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Bring it back. I mean really, like things are better now that they can't paddle? We didn't have discipline problems when I was in school . A trip to Mr. Tiptons office with the wooden paddle with holes drilled in in it... that'd fix you!

Of course parents were not a bunch of whiny litigious minded wimps back then either. It wasnt' the paddling from the principal you worried about, it was the one you were going to get when you got home your worried about!

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by davjan4
the wooden paddle with holes drilled in in it... that'd fix you!

Ahh memories. Lots of holes=less wind resistance!
You also got to autograph it afterwards. It was COVERED
with names. Agreed as well, bring it back.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I'm a very involved parent, that's the only way to insure your kids turn out the way they should. I think my wife and I have done quite well raising them. They rarely have to be punished in any way and then it's grounding, taking away the N64, phone privileges, etc... I've found taking something they really like works better than a spanking. They're 14 and 12, so way too old for that anyway. I certainly wish more of my teachers had had your opinion about punishments.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Sometimes a kid will need a good paddling. Kids don't really listen to words.

Trying to explain things to some kids just goes right over their heads, sad to say.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Originally posted by DAVID64

Yes, it is two-edged. Personally, as a parent, I would want to be contacted BEFORE any corporal punishment took place. As a teacher, I would use this as a last resort...and I mean last resort. No matter how bad the child's behavior on a given day, I would first contact and conference with the parents, discuss the problem with the counselor, and try behavior contracts and other ideas first. IMO, the only time to use the paddle would be as a last resort. And if the parents were completely opposed to it, then I wouldn't paddle that child under any circumstances.

You sound like an involved parent....children of involved parents are rarely the problem with regards to discipline.

You make a good point with that last statement. When I was a kid, my parents were hardly ever around and I can't remember them ever meeting one of my teachers. They had no idea what I was doing at school. I was a little hooligan, the ONLY thing that kept me out of trouble was absolute fear and respect for my PE coach at school, and his wide assortment of paddles to kick your arse with. I loved that man, he was awsome. Corporal punishment works in situations like that. MY daughter on the other hand, I get involved with every aspect of her life, I know everything. I have take time out to actually get to know and become friends with all of her teachers every year. She has never, not even once in her 6 years of going to school gotten into any trouble.........she knows she can't get away with anything lol, so there is really no need for it.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by davjan4
Bring it back. I mean really, like things are better now that they can't paddle? We didn't have discipline problems when I was in school . A trip to Mr. Tiptons office with the wooden paddle with holes drilled in in it... that'd fix you!

Of course parents were not a bunch of whiny litigious minded wimps back then either. It wasnt' the paddling from the principal you worried about, it was the one you were going to get when you got home your worried about!

I also believe that the old fashioned disciplinary system worked infinitely better than our current system.

When I was in school, Sister Regina didn't look at all threatening, but I can attest that she probably hit as hard as any male school administrator could have. She started with an explanation of why you were in her office, sincerely listened to your responses, then informed you of what was to be done. You were then ordered to stand next her desk, lift your skirt, then brace yourself for your punishment. When someone was getting paddled you could hear the slaps echo throughout the eerily silent school courtyard. It served as a somber reminder to all the girls to toe the line, lest you suffer the same fate.

Regardless of what people think of corporal punishment, the bottom line is: IT WORKED.

top topics

join