It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does your garden grow mine will be awesome

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
aquaponics is a sustainable food production method which combines aquaculture and hydroponics. The aquaponics system maintains a stable environment by using the special beneficial relationship between the fish and the plants.

I have a 100 gallon aquarium with 2 fish both are large Oscars this week im going to set up this system it combines keeping fish with hydroponics while growing vegetables..Our econmey is getting so bad and the price of vegtables is soaring here in Minnesota you can onley have a garden about 4 or 5 months out of the year this way i can grow vegtables year round..

Of course you can do this on a large scale..But im going to start off small but think what this would do when it came to feeding the world..And you could set this up totally off the grid plus it would be very cost efficient! What im looking to do is be food independent i think anyone that has the room should be setting one of these up its so simple ..

The best part of this your plants grow twice as fast using this method, you can almost watch them grow..
No weeding
No soil pests
No digging in dirt, no compost, no tilling
No pesticides, chemicals, herbicides or fertilizers
Low Cost
plus its all Natural and Organic

Below is a video on how to start one im useing this one to get mine going..Im so excited to get this going!

This is the explanation of the video for people that cant listen to the video

I spent all day today putting together my Aqua Phonic System. What I am going to be able to do is in the winter time I am going to be able to grow vegetable as well as fish. So, far I have my metal shelving unit here. You can get this at any hardware store, it is really easy to find then I also have a 55 gallon fish tank.

Now in our fish tank I have a water pump. I have attached his clear vinyl tubing to the pump that is in there and this is basically called the quick connect, push connector. That is it that you need to do. It is now connected and I have attached it to this valve. This valve allows me to shut that flow off and it also allows me to adjust the amount of flow.

One thing, I definitely want you to know before you set up your own Aqua phonic System is know that you are not going to be able to introduce any fish into that environment for about a week.

So, you want to make sure that it is the right environment for your fish before you even get them and so, for the fish tank I have cut some strapping and that strapping is supporting my planters.

Right along the bottom of the planters I have many little holes. What that is doing is that is allowing the water to drain before you back into the tank.

In the galvanized planter(Do not use this get plastic galvanized is toxic to the fish) I have put about two inches of three quarter inch gravel then on to of it I have this white stuff. This white stuff is Perlite and this is what our veggies are going to grow with.

Our plants are going to get nutrients from the water because we are going to have fish in there and water with the fish waste is going to come into our plants to our box here and that is where our veggies are going to get their nutrients.

I put up these three fluorescent lighting fixtures with 5,000 degree Kelvin balanced fluorescent tubes underneath and that is what has been being our sunlight for our veggies.

Now, for our water circulation, I have also installed the timer. I do not want my water to flow 24 hours a day continuously. So, I have my pump system here on this timer and it is set to alive upon to pump for one hour and then shut off for three. I also have my light on a timer and my light is going to stay on for 12 hours and then they are going to come off for 12 hours.

Alright, so the next thing I have to do before I put this project to bed for the night is lay in all of my seeds and that one of those cool seed spreader thing is, this is just a mix of lettuce that I am going to be having, and I was going to lay it out in rows.

Now, this is a mixture of white and red mustard. The next thing I have to do is to just adjust this lights and I want to bring him down for the match all the way.

Now, our aqua phonic system is up and running. Everything is running perfectly. I have got my lights on and set up to a timer. The water is circulating and that set up to a timer also and I have got my seeds planted.

Here is another video of the set up:

Thanks and peace,sugarcookie1
edit on 23-9-2012 by sugarcookie1 because: brain dead

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Good luck. Especially with the fluorescent lights.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

Thanks
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Your welcome. Indoor gardening is demanding but rewarding once you get the hang of it.
Aquaponics is good choice for veggies.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Yes it is i cant wait to get this set up and running..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I got my quick connect today have all my holes drilled for drainage and got my fluorescent lighting ready to set up and the chains I'm almost there! peace,sugarcookie1..I don't know why I'm writing this no one is reading it anyhow but i think its such a cool project

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
www.criminaldefensemissouriattorney.com...

Not saying that will happen to you, and it really isn't funny, but seriously? Do law enforcement not have better things to do?

I love that your doing this. The idea of closed system production is exciting. I am going to be so jealous when you are munching away! Good luck with this project.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Iamschist
Thanks for posting..I read the article wow I'm just going to grow some lettuce and a few other things never thought about the other but I'm sure its done..I hope they dont raid my house thinking I'm growing that kinda herb thats scary..peace,sugarcookie1
edit on 25-9-2012 by sugarcookie1 because: duh

top topics

join