It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Americans now commit suicide than are killed in car crashes as miserable economy takes its toll

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by beezzer
Suicide is a solution to a problem. Albiet, a poor solution, but one none the less.

Now are we seeing people resort to suicide because of economic malaise?

Or

Are we seeing the result of a generation with poor decision-making abilities?

I agree, in your premises.

I believe its both.

People see tough times differently now. Back when, tough times meant having to eat just once a day, if that, to stretch a budget.

Now? Some think having a 3G phone is toughing it, only having dial-up is toughing it, only eating out once a month is toughing it.

Of course, just my humble opinion.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Suicide is a solution to a problem. Albiet, a poor solution, but one none the less.

Or

I am vastly sick of the heartless and stupidity of this idea.

In a society where only a few jobs have enough to live on, where its musical chairs for jobs and its a scarsity system, and in a world where billions out 7 billion are living in abject poverty. You're not making good problem solving decisions if you are well off and comfy while everyone else is being taken out behind the shed by the slavers here. Spiritually, you just become a minion for demons if you accept this system and don't work for absolute equality without forcing slavery.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by trysts

Originally posted by elrem48
reply to post by silent thunder

Sadly, overdosing on pills is probably the easiest way out. .

Overdosing on pills is probably one of the more unreliable ways to kill yourself, elrem48

You are absolutely correct. However, I believe that goes for a few other methods also. I do think that people may view pills as one of the least painful ways to commit this sorrowful act.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
We live in a Evil sick world.
why would people Not comit suicide?
it ends all your troubles.

make the world a better places first.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Thanks.

...and that girl should be inspiration for anyone who thinks things are bad.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
We live in a Evil sick world.
why would people Not comit suicide?
it ends all your troubles.

make the world a better places first.

Evil and sick? No. Just some of the people in it.

And this makes things better how?

No...just leaves them for others to clean up.

Then why suicide at all?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by elrem48

overdosing on pills is probably the easiest way out

No, it's not. I will not get into how best to off oneself but I assure you that "pills" are not the easiest. Pills are the easier way to call attention to oneself, to make one be noticed and a sure way to get you stomach clean. I not saying that they can't kill you, but because it depends in too many factors they do not make a good option.
edit on 23-9-2012 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Lost an aunt and uncle both different sides of the family to suicide both over money and both used a gun as their means to their demise.

It is cowardly, and it is selfish I honestly do not see how some people can let their perceived problems be so overwhelming to take that means of escape.

money is not the only reason for suicide but it ranks up there.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Or

I am vastly sick of the heartless and stupidity of this idea.

In a society where only a few jobs have enough to live on, where its musical chairs for jobs and its a scarsity system, and in a world where billions out 7 billion are living in abject poverty. You're not making good problem solving decisions if you are well off and comfy while everyone else is being taken out behind the shed by the slavers here. Spiritually, you just become a minion for demons if you accept this system and don't work for absolute equality without forcing slavery.

Working for absolute equality?

Is that where everyone is equal, everyone has the same stuff, everyone has the same pay, where there is no drive, no ambition, no challenge, no risk of failure?

In that type of society, you're enabling those who can't handle stress instead of teaching them how to cope.
edit on 23-9-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by trysts

reply to post by silent thunder

Sadly, overdosing on pills is probably the easiest way out. .

Overdosing on pills is probably one of the more unreliable ways to kill yourself, elrem48

You are absolutely correct. However, I believe that goes for a few other methods also. I do think that people may view pills as one of the least painful ways to commit this sorrowful act.

True. People may wake up from their attempted suicide with some physical problems because of being misinformed about the pill-thing.

My heart goes out to those who wish to end their life. In many cases it is quite sorrowful. But, I would never condemn them for wanting to do so. It is their life afterall, and suicide is a very difficult decision. Overall, I respect the decision.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Who benefits from suicide?

Not the children.
Not the spouse.
Not the relatives.

The only person that benefits is the one killing themselves. Because then, they no longer have to deal with the stress.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

cowardly, and it is selfish

The context defines the "cowardly" label not the action as for being selfish it is debatable and also dependent on the context not the action. That is the ultimate choice regarding self determination, one could see the motivations foolish and dismiss it as the result of a time of emotional or mental fragility. But some are logical and calculated.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Suicide is not a rational act and, I would assume, is undertaken by most people during what one could deem as a psychotic break. If one loses their ability to think rationally then it's hard to assign moral blame to them for an act that they are not technically responsible for.

I attempted suicide in the early nineties. I was watching a football game and drinking a 12 pack of Heineken on a Sunday. I was in a good mood and had no major stresses happening in my life.

The next thing I new I woke up in a hospital and was informed that I had taken an entire bottle of barbiturates, looped a Pearl Jam song called "Black" on my CD player, wrote a note, and was found, semi-conscious by my, then, girlfriend.

To this day I have no clue what triggered this or why I did it. The doctors, after much evaluation, simply said it was an alcohol induced psychotic episode.

I don't speak of this often ( although I have on ATS a few times for some odd reason ) because it is embarrassing and I realize it's hard for people to accept that I am clueless as to the why's and wherefores of it all. I only share now to inform folks that sometimes the mind just snaps and people aren't themselves. You can't judge a person in that context.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Thanks for sharing that, Heff.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Panic2k11
reply to post by neo96

cowardly, and it is selfish

The context defines the "cowardly" label not the action as for being selfish it is debatable and also dependent on the context not the action. That is the ultimate choice regarding self determination, one could see the motivations foolish and dismiss it as the result of a time of emotional or mental fragility. But some are logical and calculated.

I agree, it can be a rational, well-calculated decision. I hope to be strong enough to choose and carry out my own suicide when I think it's time. It certainly is a question of the ultimate self-determination.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
All I'm going to say regarding suicide, is it's personal and I don't think anyone has a clue what some of these people are going through who do the deed.

Just saying, "it's selfish", or "it's irrational" is ... dumb.

I think it's a basic right for a person to off their selves if they feel this ride isn't worth the price of the admission.

In some cultures it's the last decent thing to do when one has lost their honor.
edit on 23-9-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I don't find words like "cowardly" and "weak" to be very useful when talking about suicide. They sound like shaming language to me...an attempt to make people not want to go down that road by trying to create the impression that the act is shameful. While shaming language may be used with good intent (i.e., to stop somebody from doing something destructive), its not usually very accurate OR effective.

I went through major depression and if you have never done so you can't understand the pain of just trying to wake up and make it through a day. Drawing each breath can be agony, stuff like tying your shoes or making a sandwich are major battles. In such cases suicide can seem very attractive as a release and a way to just go to sleep, as it were.

I do not condone suicide and I think there are better ways but also part of me believes that if an individual wishes to die, its his or her right. None of us asked to be brought to this world and its not an easy place for many people, for all kinds of reasons. The problem with suicide is that it is an irreversable act. Also there are issues if the person has dependants, especially children. Clearly alternative solutions should be sought. But using shaming language like "weak" and "cowardly" both misses the point and serves to isolate depressed individuals even more.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

Logical, and calculated... I may be alone in this, but I fail to see the logic in thinking that economic issues are reason enough to end one's life.

Terminal illness? I can understand that, only too well, since my own brush with mortality.

But a job, or lack there of? Bad? Hell yes. Been there, too. As bad as it is, and it'd be worse if you've got a family... But how in the Hell does it improve matters? It only makes things worse, and that doesn't change just because you aren't there to see it.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Where did I put fault on them for suicide I said it's nice if some of the suiciders are those people.

Because they are just not going to be missed was the point.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join