It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Americans now commit suicide than are killed in car crashes as miserable economy takes its toll

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

More Americans now commit suicide than are killed in car crashes as miserable economy takes its toll

www.dailymail.co.uk

Suicide is the cause of more deaths than car crashes, according to an alarming new study.

The number of people who commit suicide in the U.S. has drastically increased while deaths from car accidents have dropped, making suicide the leading cause of injury death.

Suicides via falls or poisoning have risen significantly and experts fear that there could be many more unaccounted for, particularly in cases of overdose.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Suicide is up 15% - an enormous leap. And while it is good news that car-accident deaths are down 25%, the spike in suicides is cause for alarm, as is the fact that its the leading form of injury death now.

The article notes the dismal economy is the probable culprit for the suicide epidemic, but I say there is always more than one cause for such things, and as possible additional factors I'd add social alienation, the breakdown of traditional support networks and family ties, and a toxic culture that places too much emphasis on status and materialism, making a fall in hard times seem even worse than it should.

This being ATS, one could speculate about even more exotic causes, such as chemicals in food or the air, or nefarious depopulation agendas. However, I say we don't have to look at factors like chemtrails, guidestones, or genetically modified food to see signs of a culture in trouble that's losing confidence in itself. It's pretty clear people are miserable. The question becomes: What can be done?

www.dailymail.co.uk

edit on 9/23/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

This truly hurts my heart..... People taking their own lives in the name of another persons problem?!

We all must look in ourselves, as opposed to looking outwards towards material possessions.

Say a prayer, even if you are an Atheist, but say a prayer. Say a prayer for those who can't see the light, for those who can't see happiness.
edit on 9/23/2012 by truthinfact because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Sadly, overdosing on pills is probably the easiest way out. Unfortunately, access to pills has become all too easy for just about anyone, so it appears to be a probable reason for the spike in suicides carried out in this manner. However, the root of the problem is more complicated as it involves so many factors in a victim's life, which can be a combination of biological, biochemical, and sociocultural factors. Teaching AWARENESS of the clues is paramount.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by elrem48

Sadly, overdosing on pills is probably the easiest way out. .

Overdosing on pills is probably one of the more unreliable ways to kill yourself, elrem48

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
What also worries me is the amount of people that are starting to be very very scared of December 21st 2012. I am afraid this mass hysteria is going to cause a lot of suicides as we approach that date.

This poor girl, only 16 killed herself convinced the End was coming. I hope that the people making money off of this hoax realize how much they arm the ones of us with little critical thinking.

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 23-9-2012 by Ghezuz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Are any of them wall=streeters?
One can only hope.
edit on 23-9-2012 by ldyserenity because: spelling

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Suicide is a solution to a problem. Albiet, a poor solution, but one none the less.

Now are we seeing people resort to suicide because of economic malaise?

Or

Are we seeing the result of a generation with poor decision-making abilities?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
It's not suicide, it's murder because economic toilet flush was premeditated

Suicide is not the only issue though, there are also an enourmous amount of hallucinations with people thinking everythnig is okay and they actually have a choice in this coming election

Originally posted by ldyserenity
Are any of them wall=streeters?
One can only hope.

Listen, not all of wall street is bad
Don't let the occupy movements cloud your perspective

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Suicide is a solution to a problem. Albiet, a poor solution, but one none the less.

Now are we seeing people resort to suicide because of economic malaise?

Or

Are we seeing the result of a generation with poor decision-making abilities?

I agree, in your premises.

I believe its both.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I doubt it is generational, since the suicide rate as remained pretty much the same since the 50s.

www.who.int...

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Well I meant mainly the CFO's and CEO's in that statement....Unfortunately those people only kill their workers and thepoor folk who live near where they spew their toxins.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Suicide Causes

There is increased risk of suicide in some families.

Psychodynamic proposals concerning suicide have emphasized contributions of conflicts, losses, and changes in relationships as contributors to suicidal risk, and have often viewed suicide as a depressive or psychotic act, sometimes associated with fantasies of escape, reward, reunion, or resurrection.[109] "Depression" in psychoanalytic theory need not be a diagnosable major affective disorder, but can involve self-punitive mechanisms arising from guilt or shame.

Suicide can be conceptualized psychologically as an excessive reaction arising from intense preoccupation with humiliation and disappointment[114] that is driven by punitive and aggressive impulses of revenge, spite, or self-sacrifice, wishes to kill and be killed, or yearning for release into a better experience through death.[

Although social isolation and material or emotional deprivation seem to play a fundamental role in suicide, multifactorial biopsychosocial models usually are favored today, and they offer the most comprehensive available theoretical models.

Suicide is more frequent at both extremes of the socioeconomic spectrum, and there is increased risk following sharp changes of status -- up or down. However, very high and low levels of education show a lower suicide risk.

Urban life has often been blamed for creating isolating anomic environments with high suicide rates.

Just some stuff I found on a quick search.

This is really too, too bad. Goes to show that you never know when a seemingly small show of disrespect toward a person will lead to something horrific. In a world of challenges on many levels, common generosity is more important than ever.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Suicide is one way out of their problems...

A selfish one, mind you, but a solution none the less.

Remarkable that things could ever seem that bad... I've been diagnosed with cancer...been so far behind on by bills that my phone never stopped ringing during business hours.

Yet the sun never failed to rise. ...and wonders of wonders... things got better. The cancer is gone. The bills are almost caught up on, by next year, they will be.

What good is accomplished by offing ones self? Just more issues for ones family. Funeral expenses on top of the things that will still be there after you're dead and gone.

Cowardly is the first word comes to mind.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Some elses fault? Really?

Those CEO's didn't make anyone pull that damned trigger or pop the pills. Save the blame for the one's stupid enough to think that suicide is the answer.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The article mentions that the rate of death from falls increased 71%, so. . . I'm wondering if this is related to more people living longer, in part.

I'd guess that the longer one lives, the more of a chance one has to see their significant other die, or family/friends. Maybe a chunk of this increase involves people simply losing the will to live, because they're too damned old, tired, and without social support.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
car accident deaths are down because people cant afford to leave the house, so they kill themselves bringing that statistic up

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by christoph

there's this thing called a bike. . .

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
The cancer is gone.

Hey man, glad to hear that!

You are right though
Look at this girl for example

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by christoph
car accident deaths are down because people cant afford to leave the house, so they kill themselves bringing that statistic up

THERE it is!

This is the real reason. The news? It's called SPIN.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join