It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britiain to Launch Commonwealth Super Embassies to Rival EU

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I am wondering if this is the first step to the UK moving away from Europe and increasing our ties with our Commonwealth partners. The article says basically that the UK will be building super embassies in Canada, Aus and New Zealand. I say this is a good thing and the Western English speaking countries including the US should stick together.

William Hague will tomorrow launch a worldwide network of British Commonwealth embassies to rival the emergence of the EU as a foreign superpower.
The Foreign Secretary is in Canada where he will sign an agreement to open joint UK-Canadian diplomatic missions abroad.
He also hopes Australia and New Zealand will join the initiative whereby the four countries will pool their resources to extend their combined influence on world affairs.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

This seems like a positive move to me - I'll probably be able to comment in a bit more depth when the exact details are revealed tomorrow.

It appears to be official recognition that we have more in common with our Commonwealth friends than we do continental Europe - which begs the question why are we still in the EU if we have such distrust of it and clearly have divergent interests?

Not that we needed it but surely this just adds weight to the arguement for a referendum on continued membership of the EU.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Don't get me wrong I'd love Britain to leave the EU and join the EEC like Norway but my one and only concern is that our government, but not us seem to be more open to GMO foods (depending on which side of the fence you are on) than Europe and one of the last things I want is to have more and more GMO foods being introduced into Britain after leaving the EU due to no longer having to abide by EU law.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

We certainly do need a referendum, but before we do that we need to outline our plans on the replacement because we cannot afford to go on our own. I think we should start with free trade and reduced imigration controls with our Aussie, Canadian, New Zealand and American friends. Many world powers there with good wealth, I don't see why we have not done it before. The Queen is already head of state for all those other than the US so why can't we take our partnership further?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Wulfric

With all due respect, bollocks to EU Law - our own laws should suffice.

To be honest, I'm actually quite ashamed to admit that I don't really know enough about GMO foods to give a reasonably considered opinion, I'll have to rectify that - but UK law should be robust enough to satisfy people's concerns - if not then we demand a change in law - that's how democracy is SUPPOSED to work.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Aye, I fully understand you on all points and actually agree with them. It is almost the equivilent of a dictatorship living under EU rule as we the people have not been given a referendum despise huge want for it.

Literally the only thing I'm nervous on is if the government does not listen and starts bringing in more GMO crops (such as the GMO wheat being tested over here despise a large negative public reaction). If we had a real democracy however there'd be no problems whatsoever!
edit on 23-9-2012 by Wulfric because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Wulfric

Therew's no such thing as real democracy anymore, the government just does as it pleases as does every other "democracy" out there. People are power crazy and all those that end up with power are corrupt in some sort of way, especially our current and previous governments. Cameron lied to his back teeth to get elected, I have not seen him follow up on most of his promises and all he ever does is blame the Liberals for not meeting his promises.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

In 1975 the British people voted to join a European free trade association - the EEC.
Whilst I can certainly understand the reasons and benefits of that it's worth re-iterating that we never voted for any sort of political or fiscal union or the treasonous transfer of soveriegnty that we have seen.

The vast majority of British people want a referendum on continued membership of the corrupt EU.

If the UK votes for continued membership then we need to be committed into ensuring that British interests are looked after and turning the EU into some sort of Federal Union that respects national identities and cultures whilst promoting it's role on the world stage.

If the UK votes to end it's membership of the EU then we need to collectively think how we will progress and succeed in a rapidly changing world.
That would require politicians, business leaders, union officials etc setting aside differences, political dogma and personal greed to agree a strategy that enables the UK to move forward to become the strong, vibrant, succesful and caring society that it SHOULD be.

Personally I very much doubt that those who are currently in such positions have the necessary stength of character or commitment or the vision to do so.
They are obsessed with personal gain and advancement and maintaining the status quo that allows them to milk the gravy train to excess whilst moralising and lecturing restraint and austerity to the rest of us.

It is also worth mentioning that when the UK voted to remain in the EEC back in 1975 we left some of our Commonwealth friends a bit in the lurch - there may indeed be some lingering resentment about that and maybe they don't want closer links with us?

Apologies for the morose and rant like nature of the post - today hasn't been a good day.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Hague didn't say a damn thing about rivaling the EU in that Daily Fail article.

It's much more about extending British/Canadian reach in those countries with no British or Canadian representation, pooling resources to save money than anything to do with "rivaling the EU", indeed I'd love to see what spin the Canadian media gives to this announcement ... I wonder whether the EU will come into it at all.

The Daily Fail. Always a reliable source for a star and flag from the braindead.

Reliable for that and nothing else.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by NorthernThird

Hague didn't say a damn thing about rivaling the EU in that Daily Fail article.

Yeah, but you'd hardly expect him to - it's more about acts and deeds.

Why not come to some sort of similar agreement with say France or Germany?

.....indeed I'd love to see what spin the Canadian media gives to this announcement ...

I'm sure we all would.....and especially the French-Canadians.

The Daily Fail. Always a reliable source for a star and flag from the braindead.

A generalisation or aimed at anyone specific?

Like I said, we'll all probably be able to give a more reasoned comment tomorrow once Haigh reveals the exact details.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
This is a interesting move, and smart one, by the U.K. I have always felt that the U.K. does not need to EU. The pound is a solid currency and U.K. has no problem finding plenty of trading partners. As far as foreign affairs goes the UK would only benefit from developing stronger ties with commonwealth nations. The commonwealth nations have a long history with the U.K., for obvious reasons, and it only makes sense to develop stronger bonds with those nations.

The EU is going in a direction which will not benefit the U.K. or the commonwealth nations. There are many issues the EU cannot handle; three of them being immigration, a stable currency and self-defense. Those issues alone create a massive mess to attempt to deal with when having strong ties with the EU.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Once upon a time, Australia and New Zealand use to feed ALL of Britain and its inhabitants.
Lamb, Grain, Wool, Butter...it ALL come from Australia and New Zealand...

In return the British would send a few manufactured goods, like Morris Minors, Oxfords, Wolsleys, Rileys and other BMC products....thanks for that.

Then in the 1970s..Britain SUDDENLY decided it wanted to be part of Europe, with all the immigrants coming over from poor dark nations, changing the colour of Britain, Europe seemed to be the way to go...
So Britain joined the Common Market........And at the same time, kicked Australia and New Zealand off the "Friends" list....
Britain even went to the degree of classing "Australians and New Zealanders" as Foreigners!!!, and reducing their status in Britain as "Aliens" even tho 99% of Australians are of British (UK) and European descent.

So now after 40 years, 50 odd years of importing poor people from dark countries who dont mix with indigenous Brits, 40 years of ignoring Australia and New Zealand..the Very colonies set up by Britain, and Full of its offspring...Britain now wants to be buddy buddy (or is that Mates..China Plates??), with its once upon a time, only friends in the World?

So what do the other British/Commonwealth Empire Nations think of this proposal....the Dark Nations...India, Africans..etc..?

Or are these proposals trying to create a White Commonwealth Only policy?

Oh Well, Sounds good to me.....

Edit...BTW...Im starting to think of Britain as the Japan of Europe...
Similar thinking...The Japanese say they are Not Chinese decent, they just popped out the ground, similar to the British..(whiteys of course) saying they are not European..they just popped out of Scandinavia and Germania..not Europe!!.....Both have had wars with their neighbours......All very similar, dont you all think?
edit on 23-9-2012 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by gort51

You make some valid points about the UK's abandonment of Australia, New Zealand and Canada etc back in the early to mid 70's.

But I must take you to task about your comments on immigrants from 'dark countries'.

People from the Caribbean, parts of Africa and India etc have contributed immensely to the continuing development of British society and culture and many have integrated fully whilst retaining parts of their own heritage - and that is how it should be and should be commended.

I for one wouldn't like to sever links with any of the Commonwealth nations.
Am I in the minority for thinking that? - I honestly don't know, I'd like to think not, but......?

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Well, I guess there would be less Taxis on the road in Britain without them...so I suppose you're right.

Still, why didnt they move back to Africa if they wanted to leave the Caribbean?

Perhaps they dont like Cricket...Oh Ya...they Love it!!

Thats right, perhaps they love white mans social security and free medical.....Ok then.....

Surely isnt the Weather...

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by gort51

Quite the little racist bigot aren't you....or is it just Brits in general that you dislike?

But you haven't quite got the balls to come right out with it and instead resort to thinly veiled insults etc and crap attempts at humour.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

This seems like a positive move to me - I'll probably be able to comment in a bit more depth when the exact details are revealed tomorrow.

It appears to be official recognition that we have more in common with our Commonwealth friends than we do continental Europe - which begs the question why are we still in the EU if we have such distrust of it and clearly have divergent interests?

Not that we needed it but surely this just adds weight to the arguement for a referendum on continued membership

From what I have seen from the trade the Brits do with the EU (40% of exports) I think the Brits do need the EU, but not its un elected dictators Brussels seems so fond of.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Great timing for kates tits to be plastered all over the euro papers then? Aww look at what those nasty euro's are doing to our future queen, we don't want to be part of them.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by gort51

You make some valid points about the UK's abandonment of Australia, New Zealand and Canada etc back in the early to mid 70's.

But I must take you to task about your comments on immigrants from 'dark countries'.

People from the Caribbean, parts of Africa and India etc have contributed immensely to the continuing development of British society and culture and many have integrated fully whilst retaining parts of their own heritage - and that is how it should be and should be commended.

I for one wouldn't like to sever links with any of the Commonwealth nations.
Am I in the minority for thinking that? - I honestly don't know, I'd like to think not, but......?

Just wanted to add to your last line, no you are not alone for thinking that we should reinforce our ties with ALL Commonwealth countries.. we (the richer Commonwealth countries) have so much to offer the poorest nations in the Commonwealth and together we could help lift them out of poverty without raping their resources and in turn we get something we are really lacking in return, a nation with a decent skill-set, personally I think that is more important than just thieving someones resources, and perhaps it might help change our negative national image.

Personally I am of the opinion of saying stuff the word outside of the Commonwealth.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Little? No....Hating Brits??.... not likely..Some of my favorite ancestors are Brits....real ones that is...

So you dont like my humour, shame, its British thru and thru...oh well.

Bigot?...yes your right...just like every other human on this Earth...you could say every human hates someone, be it their colour, language, history, religion, tallness, shortness, fatness, etc etc where they live....but thats humans...even the freeborn ones.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by gort51

Little? No....

Not little? A big bigot then?

Hating Brits??.... not likely..

Good.

Some of my favorite ancestors are Brits....real ones that is...

And what exactly constitutes a real Brit?

So you dont like my humour, shame, its British thru and thru...oh well.

You reckon?
Not really - we Brits tend to see humour in almost any given situation and love taking the piss out of each other but we are also remarkably self-deprecating - and British humour has one basic requirement, it has to be funny - an ability you haven't shown yet.

you could say every human hates someone,

Hate is a strong word - I guess dislike is a bit more accurate....but I do hate racists

...even the freeborn ones.

I assure you, they have a damn sight more than their fair share of faults - or at least this one does!

new topics

top topics

join