It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Out with the old ATS and in with the new, who is with me?!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

My bad Miss Doodle
And sure thing, I'll write your name on the can before I drink it

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neocrusader
And before face book links and the inevitable invasion because it's 'cool'

Ack. I hope to heaven Facebook "Like" buttons don't invade this site. They're already all over the place.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doodle19815
reply to post by blupblup

You know, even if you don't know it, people have those that they bond or whatever it is with. I recognize and respect every person in this thread so far. I may not send you a PM or debate with you, but I feel like even out of the thousands here I know your name.

Now short of sounding like a stalker, I do follow what lots of people say on here. I feel like I know where lots of people stand on certain issues. I even find myself rolling my eyes when I see certain avatars before I even read a post because I know I will disagree with what they have to say. That doesn't mean I don't respect their opinion, I just don't think like they do.

I think it is great that out of so many people I usually see familiar "faces" so to speak. There a lot of thread lurkers like me, but we still have our favorites whether we tell them or not.

That's very true, we all do that whether consciously or not, we all have avatars we know and either warm to or that repel us.

ATS is like a big, dysfunctional family.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

That's very true, we all do that whether consciously or not, we all have avatars we know and either warm to or that repel us.

My avatar will give you bad dreams tonight

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

ATS is like a big, dysfunctional family.

Hi Bro'

------------------

I am one of those who miss the older feel of this site and unless a person has experienced it they cannot say whether it was better than it is now, they can only comment on how they see it at present.

Sure, people will complain regardless of how long they've been here but the quality of content HAS degraded and it is also diluted with way more spam than was acceptable in years before.

ATS mods having to keep up with the site's momentum, issues and changes over the years shows just what an incredible job they do. Thanks.

I continue to lurk but will jump on heads that are not used wisely.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

don't jump on my head, I am rather partial to it!

I do see the other's points. But I love ATS and I do hate to see it get bashed.

I agree to disagree, but the way it is now is why I am here. I would have never found this place if it wasn't what it is today.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
A part of the issue might be the signal to noise ratio kinda thing. ATS has become quite huge and with it the "chatter" has increased. Many people post without reading the previous comments in a thread, post without doing a basic form of research into the subject or simply just "chat" were they should pay attention to each post and its content. I do not think this is special for ATS, it´s probably something that all growing message boards share.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
it figures that you don't have many starts or flags. Because your saying something thought provoking and challenging. It seems like the dumber your post the more flags and stars you get. Example? Like that picture of a toy dragon that some guy was cutting open, made it to the front page of ATS. That kind of stuff makes me sick. I wonder sometimes if there are a bunch of kids on this site or something? who would flag and star that? honestly.

I am with you, I think we need less censorship, and more dialogue. When you get rid of censorship, you really hinder the sincere posters, and you aid the trolls.

I know for a fact there are a few people, who know the T and C's really well, and use it to their advantage to irk people. Gosh , I can't tell you how many times ive seen a troll post, and wondered, why are the mods allowing this?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Dont you know already? Relevant topics never get starred and flagged, only inflammatory hateful topics get attention.
Thats what people thrive on.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

No worries my friend, I think your head is safe. It's the posters who don't take the time to think before they post/reply that irk me and I was being purely metaphorical in my head jumping comment. I suppose I was talking about pointing out the bleedin' obvious and knocking common sense into some of the skulls round here when I said that. Server space is valuable and I hate to see it wasted. Heck! I even get my head stomped on occasion and after a little reflexion I usually know I can do better. I have always bounced back with an inkling more wisdom and THAT is what ATS should still be trying to purvey. The art of thinking for one's self and then sharing the results, not seeking the results without thinking.

I used to take great pride and go to great lengths to shed light and add perspective here to those who were in the dark. With all the changes we have seen, particularly in advertising and efforts to gain new members, it has brought with it a mentality that has somewhat destroyed a unique form of discussion and these days there are far more knee-jerk reactions and one-liners. Something I have always tried to avoid myself, but unfortunately I get dragged into that style of posting on occasion out of sheer frustration. I hate it.

I realise that you enjoy the site as it is today, but years ago when some of our greatest members were present, it would be hard to leave the forums and exciting to read such a wealth of uniqueness. It really was a pleasure and there was so little spam, I would go to bed when the birds were waking up many times. By spam, I mean endless threads which pose unanswerable questions by posters who can't even be bothered to do their own research or consider the things they write beforehand.

The other thing that comes to mind is the sheer volume of content now running through the ATS veins that goes hand in hand with more members. It gets harder to get involved in some threads due to the speed at which they progress, more features have become available but we are only human and each of us has a maximum speed at which we can operate. Minds were more relaxed and discussions were calmer, research was a team effort and it was such a thrill to be a part of it. Like my dear friend "blupblup" says, we are family.

It was ATS against the world (and beyond) when I joined and now it seems there is more ATS against eachother. A reflexion of youth and the evolving social internet perhaps?

I'm a nostalgic guy and that's just the way it is. I like to enjoy the here and now because of what the past has given me. The future happens regardless but to savour what already is seems to be a dying trend.

One day, if you stick around long enough, you may remember this thread and understand better. Think of it like pop music when people think a new version of an old song is much better than the original...well, without the original you wouldn't have what you enjoy right now so respect is due, no matter how bad you think the original was, it was the seed to any plant and all it's hybrids that followed and there is no substitute for originality.

Hope you stay for ages and don't get annoyed by the newbies and the inevitable changes too much when you have.

Enough babble. Cheers, nerb

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

Truth hurts.. This site actually WAS a lot better a few years ago, before the 15 and 16 year old kids discovered it.
Nothing you can say will convince me otherwise.

Exactly 1000% right on!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
the problem with ats is there are tooo many subforums and most people probably only read the front page.

If they simplified they would get better overall content and discussion IMO.

also anyone claiming to be a star child should be banned outright as well as anyone using the term shill as long as both are unsupported claims.
edit on 21-9-2012 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by tomra

I agree! One of my major gripes is to start a post that goes,

"I haven't read the whole thread, but did you........."

Only to see that what they posted already had three pages of discussion about it. Arrrggggggg....

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by davidsander

Well thank God I didn't start this thread for the flags and stars. Otherwise I would be heartbroken.

I keep trying to to trade my points in for ATS gold, but for some reason Springer won't return my calls.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
well said ... and yes I admit Im a grumpy old man... after the life Ive led ... things Ive seen I earned it...

Here,here! Single malt okay? I'll pour you one "you earned it" is right....

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

One day, if you stick around long enough, you may remember this thread and understand better. Think of it like pop music when people think a new version of an old song is much better than the original...well, without the original you wouldn't have what you enjoy right now so respect is due, no matter how bad you think the original was, it was the seed to any plant and all it's hybrids that followed and there is no substitute for originality.

Love it! You are well spoken and peaceful I think. Thank you for putting this great comparison out for us.

(I always love the originals more.
)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I don't think the problem is with new members or old members but only those banned members that were outside of the ats box.
I think maybe that the top 1% has changed.

I have a plan though let's occupy ats.

Also keep in mind that the registered date changes if you request a new password.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
P.s. as an aside, I love me some grumpy old men. They are wise and have seen many things, but they do like to complain. So, for all you grumps out there, keep on grumping along.

Carry on

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

I had no idea that the registered date changes. There goes my seniority over the newbies. Now I will never know who I am older than. Dang it!
edit on 21-9-2012 by Doodle19815 because: I better put *end sarcasm* here.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Several postersa above used the word "Diluted"
That's what has happened to ATS, it's also whats happened to the human race too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join