It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney: I'm Proud to Be 'Grandfather' of Obamacare

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Some of you are probably saying .... 'no way .. he didn't say that'.
BUT .... Ohhhhh .. but YES HE DID.

This guy promises to repeal Obamacare saying it's not good for America.
But not only did he start the same thing in Massachussets (which nearly broke the state),
But now, along side the promises to revoke Obamacare .. he says he's proud to be
it's Grandfather.

Mitt .. seriously dude ... you can't be a proud grandpa and at the same time
want to abort the kid after it's born. It doesn't work that way. He has used so much
campaign rhetoric that he can't keep straight what he's been yakking about - IMHO.

From a right wing source - (so you know it's not a left wing hatchet job on Romney) -

Newsmax

Mitt Romney says it's a compliment to be called the grandfather of Obamacare, the health care law championed by President Barack Obama and scorned by Republicans — including Romney himself.

Obama has said the health care law Romney backed while governor of Massachusetts is the basis of the federal Affordable Care Act, enacted in 2010. Speaking at a Univision forum Wednesday night, the Republican presidential nominee said that now and then Obama calls him the grandfather of Obamacare.

Romney said, "I don't think he meant that as a compliment, but I'll take it." He went on to defend the Massachusetts law but says it is wrong for the federal government to take that approach. Grandfather or not, Romney has pledged to repeal Obamacare if elected president.

Well .. at least he owns up to his mistake ...
Romneycare broke Massachussets.
edit on 9/20/2012 by FlyersFan because: fixed link

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

The problem is that you don't understand what he is saying. He is saying that Obama copied him, and he sees that as Obama giving him a compliment. Typically copying someone means they did something right.

Then he says it is wrong to implement this at the Federal level. So thank you for copying me, but you were wrong to do it.

I can't believe how many threads pop up about what Romney says when it turns out Romney is 100% correct, every, single, time. There is so far only one thing he has said that is not 100% spot on.

ETA: I am from MA, and you're right, it did financially burden MA. I hate the MA healthcare plan, but Romney was right to do it. The people wanted it, the people voted for it, and today it is STILL popular in MA.

edit on 20-9-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
The problem is that you don't understand what he is saying.

I know perfectly well what he was saying. He said it very straight forward.

He is saying that Obama copied him,

He is saying that he's proud to be the first one to come up with Romney/Obama care.
But at the same time .. he wants to kill it.
So how can you be proud of something but want it dead at the same time?
You can't.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Why you may be right ...

I have a 1 word Contradiction for you ... your welcome to google what i mean ..

OBAMA

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
He is saying that he's proud to be the first one to come up with Romney/Obama care.
But at the same time .. he wants to kill it.
So how can you be proud of something but want it dead at the same time?
You can't.

What's scary about Mitt is that he can tell you anything for expediency's sake. I have no idea what this man stands for. In his foreign policy statements, he keeps drumming up "strength" as his tool of choice, but offers no specifics at all. He can blame Obama for the North Korea situation, and repeat "strength" ten thousand times, but there is no specific suggestion as to how to fix NK. His calculation is correct -- most Americans lack critical thinking, so many will buy that anyhow. He flipped on abortion because this was expedient. He produced that nonsensical 47% just to appease wealthy donors. Now he's opposing himself on healthcare, which does sound quite schizophrenic, but truthfully Romney is not a mental case. He's a ruthless opportunist. He doesn't care about truth or even common sense, and as an apt businessman will do anything (like in ANYTHING) to close the deal.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Romney's mouth has them jumpin' off the ship . . .

See ya!!!!

According to NBC News’ Andrew Rafferty, Pawlenty has been pursuing a private sector gig since dropping out of the presidential race last summer. For months, Pawlenty has doggedly stumped for Romney. He was considered a potential running-mate for the former Massachusetts governor with blue-collar, “Sam’s Club” appeal. As a candidate Pawlenty was often a harsh critic of the bank bailouts; he once told Bloomberg that he would tell Wall Street to “get your snout out of the trough just like everybody else.”

Kinda telling, even with that statement . . . he once told Bloomberg tht he would tell Wall Street to 'get your snout out of the trough just like everybody else . . .

Guess where this talker of both sides of the mouth kinda guy is going to work . . .

Former Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty (R) has been tapped as the new head of the Financial Services Roundtable, a major Wall Street lobbying group.

Go figure . . . and you can see Romney isn't the only one who likes to tell people what they want to hear.

edit on 20-9-2012 by GoalPoster because: because it is raining today and I don't have anything better to do.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

See here Flyers...

Mitt Romney Takes Four Different Positions On Pre-Existing Conditions In Twelve Hours
wonkette.com...

Truth is no one on the left or right knows what a President Romney would do....and he prefers it that way...that is the problem.

He doesn't have the conservative cred to have the conservatives trust that he is lieing to appeal to the center.

He can't carry the far rights water without alienating the middle he needs to win.

He can't pander to the middle without confirming the fears of the far right that he is a closet moderate.

There is no way for this etch-n-sketch to be two things at the same time...and time is running out.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

I'm also from MA and we were between a rock and a hard place. The medical system in MA was on the verge of coming apart and something had to be done. Hospitals were getting slammed as more and more people used the ER's as their personal doctor's office. Yea, we should have run all the lawyers and most of the health insurance CEO's through a wood-chipper and solved the problem THAT way but no politician is going to PO the knobs they polish. Romney included.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

I'm also from MA and we were between a rock and a hard place. The medical system in MA was on the verge of coming apart and something had to be done. Hospitals were getting slammed as more and more people used the ER's as their personal doctor's office. Yea, we should have run all the lawyers and most of the health insurance CEO's through a wood-chipper and solved the problem THAT way but no politician is going to PO the knobs they polish. Romney included.

The people comparing Romneycare and Obamacare simply have no perspective of MA, and the difference between a State implemented system that was voter approved, and a Government Federally mandated system that is unpopular with voters. Put it to a vote, if America approves it then that is that. Unfortunately we had politicians approve it because they "have to pass it to find out what's in it". Apples and Oranges.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Republicans don't have huge ideological differences with their Democratic counterparts—
this is the dirty little secret of American politics.
Reports from closed-door meetings held during the creation of Obamacare all indicate there was no partisan bickering.
Conservatives all over the world have embraced universal health care, in one form or another. Conservatives in America would, too, if it were introduced by a Republican, even a moderate Republican.

Because partisanship trumps ideology every day in American politics.

More important than any specific plan's ideological roots are its partisan roots:
A jobs plan presented by a Republican president, which includes stimulus spending by the federal government, would pass in the most conservative Congress in history with votes to spare.

Why do Americans let their elected leaders get away with this?
Because to most Americans, politics is just another sport. We root for our favorite team, regardless of which team is more deserving of our support. We buy what our leaders tell us on our favorite partisan network.

It's not any way to govern, but it works to run up the score.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by madenusa
Republicans don't have huge ideological differences with their Democratic counterparts—
this is the dirty little secret of American politics.
Reports from closed-door meetings held during the creation of Obamacare all indicate there was no partisan bickering.
Conservatives all over the world have embraced universal health care, in one form or another. Conservatives in America would, too, if it were introduced by a Republican, even a moderate Republican.

Because partisanship trumps ideology every day in American politics.

More important than any specific plan's ideological roots are its partisan roots:
A jobs plan presented by a Republican president, which includes stimulus spending by the federal government, would pass in the most conservative Congress in history with votes to spare.

Why do Americans let their elected leaders get away with this?
Because to most Americans, politics is just another sport. We root for our favorite team, regardless of which team is more deserving of our support. We buy what our leaders tell us on our favorite partisan network.

It's not any way to govern, but it works to run up the score.

There is a lot of truth to that. This is why I despise the Republican party almost as much as the Democrat party, they are both destroying this country.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I respectfully disagree. Conservatism does have a strong ideological undercurrent, and that is that people should not depend on, and count on, the government, even for most reasonable services that the rest of the world takes for granted. I find the Cons stance moronic, but oh well. So I don't believe at all that they would support a true version of universal health care, which I think would be an excellent idea.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

I respectfully disagree. Conservatism does have a strong ideological undercurrent, and that is that people should not depend on, and count on, the government, even for most reasonable services that the rest of the world takes for granted. I find the Cons stance moronic, but oh well. So I don't believe at all that they would support a true version of universal health care, which I think would be an excellent idea.

Then why did Republicans propose it in 1993 before Democrats dreamed it up. And in 1993 Democrats opposed it.
www.npr.org...

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Then why did Republicans propose it in 1993 before Democrats dreamed it up. And in 1993 Democrats opposed it.
www.npr.org...

This is not the "universal care" I was talking about.

What's implemented now is pretty bad. Then again the idea that what we need is socialized medical care (while retaining private practice for those who prefer it) won't sink.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Romney really has nothing to lose so I see him siding with Obama on a lot of issues. He can piss off his base and he knows they will vote for him no matter what. He will try to appeal to more Independents and moderate Democrats. We will never really know where he stands on issues unless he gets elected.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by wardk28
He will try to appeal to more Independents and moderate Democrats.

Yeah, from what we saw in the past weeks, that should work really well.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I don't understand how a whole site of conspiracy nuts are totally unaware of what romney wants to do with obama care.

Everyone thinks he wants to get rid of it. This is not what he says.

He wants to repeal and REPLACE.... this means that government controlled health care isn't going anywhere.

This election is about power and control of health care... this is why we have romney as a choice.. because either way the government isn't going to give up power.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Why do people still listen to these fools? Both will continue to destroy America! People should be listening to someone like Gary Johnson who actually wants to and can help the country...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

That's why I said he will try.
Nothing else is really working and he is really fumbling his campaign.

top topics

join