It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple Commandeered My Ipad Tonight

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Please read the EULA.

The hardware and software remains the property of Apple.

You never actually owned them, they are not yours to modify or change in ways that the Apple have not explicitly allowed.

You have paid for the use of the iPad/iPhone or whatever. It doesn't make you the owner.

edit on 20/9/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
reply to post by elouina

Please read the EULA.

A star for you but... are you sure? Are you sure the actual box is still the property of Apple? Hmm... I don't know.
I can always take a hammer to it, you know?

And again...

BUY ANDROID

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arkleseizure
reply to post by elouina

Now I found out, it was Apple's server bug. It's just that I recall seeing both a "back" and "forward" navigation buttons on the popover and you said it had no controls. Newer iOS might have changed it, since I ditched my iPhone a while back.

Don't let your guard down anyway. It's known that Apple has some kind of killswitch installed on their devices which lets them delete any app at will. Who knows what else they've programmed into the OS.

reply to post by Arkleseizure

So are you saying that my internet access is totally reliant on a third parties server? Aka Apple? No Apple server and I own a brick? If so, this is news to me.

Yes I had both forward and backward buttons. But that does you no good when all the other controls are missing, along with internet access to anything but Apple. So I would click on say the Apple Ipad page. Then I could click "back" to the Apple home page. Totally worthless and internet access was out of my control. Thus why I never mentioned that.

Knowing all that I have been finding out recently, I would never buy an Apple with my own cash.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Just did and I don't see this anywhere. Can you point me to it?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
Apple products are overpriced and overrated anyway, just get a Nexus 7 or something.

Exactly, and lets be honest. Most people use computers for email and facebook.....And that's about it.So save your money and get a nexus or Android or whatever...No need to pay 5 prices.

edit on 20-9-2012 by DirtyLiberalHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Well, not totally. Hotspot login pages and the like seem to rely on Apple's servers. Maps now rely on Apple's servers too. So do any App store purchases and in-app purchases. If you use Photo Stream, Mail, Contacts or pretty much any iCloud stuff, then that counts as well.
I don't really know about your browser. I heard news about Google tracking the Safari browser on iStuff somehow.
But then, everything on the Internet or internet-enabled is prone to leaking information. Amazon, Gizmodo, Google, Apple and Playstation Network are some examples of massive user information leaks ranging from login credentials to addresses and credit card information.

It's a very elaborate matter. It's up to you if you entrust Apple to keep your data, pictures, contacts, sms, email, settings, etcetera.
And about buying iStuff... I really think it's more Apple's than yours. The user's control over their devices is minimal. Apple could shut down or monitor every device they have made tomorrow. They can.
edit on 20-9-2012 by Arkleseizure because: Syntax

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I Have been using my new iPad 3 a lot more and I was shocked while working on it when a text message popped up. I wa completely surprised as I did not realize that the new iMessage system, once I registered my iPad to my account would in turn forward I my iMessages. This got me thinking about how accessible my private messages are if my iPad synced to my phones messaging system without me even requesting it to do that.

I tell ya I should really read the user agreement more before I click accept. So many bloody pages though.
edit on 20-9-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
Apple products are overpriced and overrated anyway, just get a Nexus 7 or something.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
reply to post by elouina

Please read the EULA.

You never actually owned them, they are not yours to modify or change in ways that the Apple have not explicitly allowed.

You have paid for the use of the iPad/iPhone or whatever. It doesn't make you the owner.

edit on 20/9/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

Agreed.....and even more agreed
*S*

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I have the ipad 2 and iphone 4g, nothing like this has ever happened to me
If they wanna watch me thru my iphone or my ipad, let them, I lead a very boring life LOL

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
As silly as this sounds, it really happened! I went to logon to my local hotspot, and my Ipad wouldn't let me. Instead, I was presented with a full page ad for the new Iphone 5. It was similar to a browser page, but without any controls. Every page was clickable and took you all around their info on purchasing various Apple items. Just like being online, except, I wasn't online! I never was even given a chance to agree to the terms of my hotspot log on. My email, browser etc.. didn't work and I had no internet. It was like this for over 30 minutes. No matter what I did, or shut off, it would not go away. Finally I walked away from it for an hour, came back and the Apple crap was gone. I will never buy anything Apple again!

That's Apple for you

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
If they wanna watch me thru my iphone or my ipad, let them, I lead a very boring life LOL

Well, same here. But try taking my internet access away and there will be heck to pay.
The consensus is that this was an Apple server bug. But what this "bug" has proven to me is that Apple has the capability to knock every one of their users offline. I don't like this idea one darn bit.
Perhaps this was even a test of their new plans to disable their products in certain places. Perhaps just a mini test and not disabling the entire product. Something doesn't ring right about this....
edit on 20-9-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
That stuff happens on Facebook all the time. This one time I was typing a rather lengthy private message to someone on there and I had almost a whole page written before the message page I was typing on redirected itself out of nowhere to some Facebook page for an advertisement. I didn't click anything. I lost everything I had typed and could not click the back button on my browser to bring the message I was typing up again. And then to make matters worse I checked my history log on my browser to see if I could find the page and it was nowhere to be found! I was pretty PO'd as you can imagine.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
it would not surprise me.
i remember watching a video on youtube where Steve jobs was taking about this idea to put forced ads in apple products, i remember him saying it would be a way for developers to advertize their products and make some more money. He said these ads would not depend on internet connections but would be embedded in the software itself.
If i manage to find the video again i will post a link to the interview.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
That's very concerning it can do that.
So it looked like a page but really wasn't ?
Did you just do the latest update for it by any chance?

I updated my iPad yesterday when the update was released. The update sucks. All their updates ruin something. Once I went through set up after installation, it wouldn't let me connect to my wifi all day long. I finally got wifi and Internet by around 10 pm. I got to my emails,sent two and off it went again.

I haven't had any apple ads take control. I have iPad 2 , which version is yours?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

I have iPad 2 and had to set it up myself to receive messages on my iPad. In settings in my iPad I had to change my receive at from my phone number to my apple ID.
Only other iPhone users who text my iPhone shows up on iMessage.

They must have made iPad 3 differently and set it to do that by default instead of initiating it yourself like I did.
I only have 3 contacts who text me with iPhones. I wouldn't like it if all my texts popped up on my iPad while others are using it!
edit on 21-9-2012 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
This tells how it works

They've been quite busy patenting all theses new invasive features
Apple can freeze your device

The idea is that phones, computers, set-top boxes, etc. can be sold more cheaply -- or even given away for free -- if subsidized by ads. But because nearly everyone who doesn't work in the ad industry loathes advertising, the subsidizers need to ensure people are actually watching these horrid things. Per Stross:

Its distinctive feature is a design that doesn't simply invite a user to pay attention to an ad -- it also compels attention. The technology can freeze the device until the user clicks a button or answers a test question to demonstrate that he or she has dutifully noticed the commercial message. Because this technology would be embedded in the innermost core of the device, the ads could appear on the screen at any time, no matter what one is doing.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by bellagirl
by the way....the iphone 4s here in australia cost $899. i hear on the grapevine apple charge aussies the most for their products anywhere in the world. given the aussie $ is about $1.04u.s, i would be interested to know what americans pay for an iphone 4s.

They vary greatly depending on their capacity. I bought an unlocked 16-GB for around $700 in the middle east, where we generally pay higher prices.

But in the USA the mobile phone companies are jacking up everyone's prices & buying unlocked can cost a fortune. I much prefer our month-to-month system here & hope they never pick up the American monopolistic way. ಠ_ಠ

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
If they wanna watch me thru my iphone or my ipad, let them, I lead a very boring life

Apple marketing tries to cover all population segments, including exhibitionists. This strategy apparently works.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Interesting thread.

One thing I've noticed that is really strange is how Apple uses the number 7 17.
This number in its exact sequence grabbed my attention over 15 years ago, but I digress.
My sister and I were talking about this number when she mentioned that her Mac desktop always defaulted to the date July 17th. Later, she told me that they were in the Apple store and asked the sales associate if 7/17 was Steve Jobs' birthday or if it was Apple's anniversary date. The guy told her that he'd never noticed that before and wasn't sure why the date defaulted to that number and that all Apple computers did that. So, no answers.

Well, when Apple's commercial with Martin Scorsese started playing on the TV, it didn't take me long to realize that his phone was showing the date July 17th. !!!

I'm having trouble locating the commercial, but here is an article about it. From the date of the article, the commercial may have even debuted on July 17th. The commercial is in the article, but it's been b/locked.
www.idownloadblog.com...
Thanks to anyone who can locate the actual commercial.

So, Apple fans, what is the significance of this number/date?
(Sorry if this appears to be off topic.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join