It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple Commandeered My Ipad Tonight

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
As silly as this sounds, it really happened! I went to logon to my local hotspot, and my Ipad wouldn't let me. Instead, I was presented with a full page ad for the new Iphone 5. It was similar to a browser page, but without any controls. Every page was clickable and took you all around their info on purchasing various Apple items. Just like being online, except, I wasn't online! I never was even given a chance to agree to the terms of my hotspot log on. My email, browser etc.. didn't work and I had no internet. It was like this for over 30 minutes. No matter what I did, or shut off, it would not go away. Finally I walked away from it for an hour, came back and the Apple crap was gone. I will never buy anything Apple again!

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Were you able to make calls while this was happening? If not invent a story about how you lost business and sue them for loss of earnings.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Havent seen anything like that yet, i have had every itteration of the ipad and iphone...

Thats interesting more info is needed.

Could be a pop up add from a page your where previously visiting?

Also what version of the IOS are you running and what version of the Ipad?

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Apple products are overpriced and overrated anyway, just get a Nexus 7 or something.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
i walked into a apple mega store the other day with my son who wanted to buy an iphone. after he bought the phone we had to go to optus and get a micro sim card for it and then go back and they would help him set it up.

now at the time there were about 150 people in the store. when we came back as we walked to the doors i thought bloody hell...now we have to find the bloke who sold it too us and hope he is free to help us.

as we got to the doors someone whom worked there and we had not seen before or dealt with said "how you going...your back to set up you phone". my son and i looked at each other. it had been about 30 mins since we had left. i said to the bloke "how the hell do you know that....we havent seen you before". he just laughed and sought of fobbed it off and took us inside to set it up.

i checked and he did have an earpiece inside his ear. just goes to show...they are watching and listening to everything you say and do in there.

i decided to play on this a bit. he asked me if there was anything he could do for me and if i had an iphone, ipad or laptop. told him no...nothing apple. told him you may have the kids brainwashed into everything apple but i avoid like the plague anything to do with this mega company who can make items for probably $100 using slave chinese labour and sell it to the westerners for $1000.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I just recently picked up an iPad 3 and was surprised when some pop ups and adverts that seem to come out of nowhere came up.

Probably not spying, but forced advertising for sure

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Ipad 2, Ios 5.01, and no built in wireless (not a 3g). So how was I accessing all this Apple crap without an internet connection? I was clicking all over the place in the special full screen section looking around. Plus, I closed that about 50 or so times and it kept popping back up. It was definately put on there by Apple itself. So does this mean my Ipad has hidden wireless to talk to Apple?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
by the way....the iphone 4s here in australia cost $899. i hear on the grapevine apple charge aussies the most for their products anywhere in the world. given the aussie $ is about $1.04u.s, i would be interested to know what americans pay for an iphone 4s.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

100% guaranteed it has a direct connection to apple!

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Was thinking it might of been something in ios6, too bad you didn't snap any pics of that.

It keeps track of wifis its been on and if you set it to go on automatically it will, is that perhaps the case? could if have jumped on something nearby you had previously used?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by bellagirl
by the way....the iphone 4s here in australia cost $899. i hear on the grapevine apple charge aussies the most for their products anywhere in the world. given the aussie $ is about $1.04u.s, i would be interested to know what americans pay for an iphone 4s.

4s with a two year contract drops to $99us. without 550, thats base 4s.

+22 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Two words:

BUY ANDROID

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by bellagirl

Right now they are 99$ with a 2 year contract.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

No, I am in a subterranean area right now. (no cell service, no radio reception etc...) Can only access the internet via what is provided by this building. And I have to agree to the terms every time I hop on. The Apple ad would not allow me to get to that page. None of my internet driven items would work.

I think I accidentally took a pic of it when pushing every darn button trying to get control of my Ipad back. Deleted it, then later decided to post this. Is there a way to restore the picture?

Oh and in case anyone wants to know how to "print screen" on an Ipad. Hold down both main buttons at the same time. (Found that out by accident.
)
edit on 19-9-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
thanks for the replies. do you know the price to buy one outright. not on any contracts. thats what we did and just have a prepaid card, so there is no contracts.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I really hate how Apple has such strict restrictions on customization and use of their products. I have an iPad 2 and 3rd generation as well as an iphone 4s. I also have multiple android devices. The reason I have all these devices is because I'm a developer and I test my apps on them.

I haven't ever experienced anything the OP is describing and I haven't been forced to view any forced advertising(from Apple) as another poster stated. Most free app advertising is invasive as they put it near the areas you would usually touch to use the app but those ads are placed by the authors of the application(in order to make money) not by apple.
edit on 19-9-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Intel has a new hardware feature in their chips where there is a kernel running.....that ain't for YOU.
Even if you remove a harddrive or memory sticks from a computer with their new feature.....they can still boot up a hidden operating system they have embedded into chips. This new system can connect to networks even with your computer turned off. She's a 100% silent hidden core just made for them.

They can use this to decide if they should allow you access to a network before you even power up your computer...the verification gets done. They can push modifications to your software to secure it from hackers/foreign govts. and whatever else they want to do.

Apple's probably got the same hidden features in its hardware.

Anybody with an Apple product ever notice it turns on when you walk into a room? How's Apple using their hardware to detect when humans enter a room? When the computer is sleeping....it ain't really sleeping.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Even when the computer is turned off

I don't see how that's technically feasible.

The only juice outside of the main power source is the cmos battery to my knowledge.

Are you saying the cmos gets tapped to run this chip...and mysteriously connects to the internet
you need juice for the board to run..the nic...I just don't see this happening..sorry.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Epirus

Well until tonight, neither have I. And it was only for 30 min or so. You could have missed your window, lucky you.... Think about it though... Brand new Apple product out, and then this happens. Is this maybe a trial to see how folks respond to this form of advertising? I can save them the future effort... My blood pressure went up a good 50. 86 this idea you @$@$))(.....

Most importantly, what I want to know is how did they do this? Does anyone know?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
reply to post by Epirus

Well until tonight, neither have I. And it was only for 30 min or so. You could have missed your window, lucky you.... Think about it though... Brand new Apple product out, and then this happens. Is this maybe a trial to see how folks respond to this form of advertising? I can save them the future effort... My blood pressure went up a good 50. 86 this idea you @$@$))(.....

Most importantly, what I want to know is how did they do this? Does anyone know?

I think you've been staring at your avatar for too long

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join