It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French Magazine Runs Cartoons That Mock Muhammad

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

GOOD FOR THEM! There are political cartoons nailing everyone on the planet. There is no reason for Islam to be exempt simply because the have a bunch of bullies in their ranks. Welcome to 2012 AD .. where the truth is told in jest and in political cartoons. Perhaps the upset muslims should read the cartoons and LEARN from them. Muhammad did a whole lotta' bad stuff and he made himself an easy target to make fun of.

That's the first post in 5 years I've read from you that I agree with - at least this debacle is bringing some people together

ETA: except for the last sentence, which I really can't claim personal experience or knowlege about.
edit on 19-9-2012 by RogerT3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Oh God no! Not a cartoon!
If they don't like it they can move back to a country that doesn't allow it.
Otherwise live like the French.

what?? so being french means i have to be disrespectful?????

um...they dont like it, and, they are already in their own countries.....

the closet racists are really showing their true colours this week
edit on 19-9-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bramble Iceshimmer
A billion and a half Muslims ticked off, rioting and destroying the middle east technological gains, history and cultural advancement for the sake of a 4th century dream of an all encompassing Caliphate. What a waste.

Oh quit being overly dramatic. A billion and a half Muslims aren't going to riot. If they did trust me the price of gas would be about 8 dollars a gallon. Most Muslims are just gonna go to work like every other day.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

Of course I am not suggesting that a person ought to be able to say that a cabbage offends them, and all cabbages must die. What I am saying is that we should be a damned sight more careful about the way we treat ethnic groups, not just in terms of governments treatment of them, but in terms of each and every person and industry learning to respect the opinions and needs of everyone equally.

Unfortunately, that's where your otherwise sensible ideology falls down.

With 7 billion individual egos walking around this planet, do you really feel society could operate with "each and every person and industry learning to respect the opinions and needs of everyone equally" :

I need to drink a glass of the best possible breast milk daily. It's my opinion that your sister's breastmilk is the best! Now do you still feel like respecting my opinion and need, or do you want to punch me out like the other guy that referred to your sister in a way your ego couldn't roll with?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by RogerT3

Originally posted by FlyersFan

GOOD FOR THEM! There are political cartoons nailing everyone on the planet. There is no reason for Islam to be exempt simply because the have a bunch of bullies in their ranks. Welcome to 2012 AD .. where the truth is told in jest and in political cartoons. Perhaps the upset muslims should read the cartoons and LEARN from them. Muhammad did a whole lotta' bad stuff and he made himself an easy target to make fun of.

That's the first post in 5 years I've read from you that I agree with - at least this debacle is bringing some people together

wow.....so respecting somones faith is now being interpreted as bullying.

how and why would they want to do this...entertainment????

its cute that someone as clueless as you says muhammed done alot of bad stuff...what are you mumbling about???....learn from cartoon strips....no, thats your source.....you seem like a lost candid person....why dont you take that film and go and promote it to its intended audience then.

its just shows that people like you are not passionate about anything...maybe if the french learnt how to mock athiests then you might react lololol
moron

peace

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
If jokes were made about islam more often then perhaps they might eventually become desensitised by it and realise that everyone is entitled to an opinion.
People make jokes about islam because they know it's going to get a big reaction.
The Mohammad video has over 10 million views on youtube. If it wasn't causing this much chaos it wouldn't have anywhere near those views because no one would care.
People say these cartoons are adding fuel to the fire, but I think the biggest fuel is the muslims starting riots because they are showing people the kind of attention you will get if you do make these jokes.

edit on 19-9-2012 by SpaceMonkeys because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by RogerT3

The key thing in that scenario is that the idea that my sisters biological output is the best is an opinion, and while I can respect your right to have an opinion, I can also prove that opinion error strewn. Apart from anything else my sisters diet is rather poor, but that aside, it is not a matter of faith.

Not to mention, my sister would destroy you if you insisted on taking her product. Shes about as understanding over matters of personal space as I am. Its a self defeating ideal that.

But where matters of faith are concerned, one cannot be proven better than another, one God cannot be considered on balance against another, because each faith denies the existence of, or importance of, other deities. Despite that, we all have to get along, otherwise we destroy the earth, and one another. So we have to come up with compromises that work for all scenarios and peoples. We do not have a choice in this matter.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Oh God no! Not a cartoon!
If they don't like it they can move back to a country that doesn't allow it.
Otherwise live like the French.

what?? so being french means i have to be disrespectful?????

um...they dont like it, and, they are already in their own countries.....

the closet racists are really showing their true colours this week

How many times do people have to be told that being against the actions of a religion is not bloody racism. Will you please get that into your skull!! Are you racist if you dislike Christians? Muslims come in all shapes, sizes, colours and ethnic creeds. There are white, black, brown, yellow and many other colours that follow this religion from countries all over the globe.

This typical PC crap that it is somehow racist to dislike how Muslims behave or the teachings of Islam for fear of being branded racist is in my opinion what got us in this mess in the first place.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I think that it's time that the rest of the world have another draw Mohammad day.

It should become the new graffiti. Muslims need to get over these ridiculous mock outrage incidents. The world does not revolve around any single religion. If you're so offended by a drawing or a movie or a cartoon, you need to grow up.

Everyone needs to use this as a growth opportunity to let Muslims know that the rest of the world will not bow to their 7th century religious demand. If you want to function in the world you need to get over being outraged so easily.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Well done the French. Good for them.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanrak77

Um, actually, if you dislike Christians because they are Christian, and not because each individual you have come across has irked you personally, then the chances are that you are a xenophobic goose stepper, on a one way trip to hell. If however you have understandable reasons for disliking Christian individuals then that is a different matter. Also, you may dislike many people who are Christian, but saying that you dislike Christians as a whole group is pretty racist, yeah.

Essentially, if you dislike any body because of a demographic they belong to, rather than on thier individual merits, you probably arent worth the skin you are in.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar
Well done the French. Good for them.

cool...then i hope its you that feels the wrath and not innocent ambassadors trying to help you sleep comfortable.

good for them???? how, who , what, when, why and WTF.....seriously your morons...

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Originally posted by Hanrak77

how about the fear of causing loss of life.....

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

wow.....so respecting somones faith is now being interpreted as bullying.

how and why would they want to do this...entertainment????

Nope!!! Bullying is imposing your own believes to a crowd who think differently. Actually is not just bullying when instead of word of mouth and angry look, violence, weapons and fire are used to force an opinion.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
This is the cover of the magazine published today

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ronnypeppers

really lets poor some gas on the flames here this dosent smell right its like the intention of so many people is to start a war between the east and the west

If a cartoon is enough to stir peoples to war, then war has been a long time coming. I applaud this cartoonist and magazine for not kowtowing before bullies. So many have become cowering sycophants. The muslim faith mocks the rest of the world when it calls non-muslims infidels, yet we have not taken to the streets to demand blood. But, if they want a war, by all means, lets appease them and settle this for once and for all..

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I don't care

I don't care anymore, somebody make it STOP!

Has the age of Aquarius dawned yet?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

reply to post by RogerT3

The key thing in that scenario is that the idea that my sisters biological output is the best is an opinion, and while I can respect your right to have an opinion, I can also prove that opinion error strewn. Apart from anything else my sisters diet is rather poor, but that aside, it is not a matter of faith.

Not to mention, my sister would destroy you if you insisted on taking her product. Shes about as understanding over matters of personal space as I am. Its a self defeating ideal that.

But where matters of faith are concerned, one cannot be proven better than another, one God cannot be considered on balance against another, because each faith denies the existence of, or importance of, other deities. Despite that, we all have to get along, otherwise we destroy the earth, and one another. So we have to come up with compromises that work for all scenarios and peoples. We do not have a choice in this matter.

I totally agree that compromise is a valuable approach. Do you think the compromise should be one sided though, as that is what it sounds like?

I'm all for compassion, but your argument lost that high ground when you admitted to punching people out and wanting to slit throats over their voiced opinions.

So does compassion for poor lost souls, who identify so absolutely with an interpretation of a book that they have lost their own sense of humanity, mean restricting or banning the self expression of others, or do we perhaps instead embrace compassion in our exposure of the fragility of the egoic mind and it's accompanying insanity?

Not saying Charlie Hebdo was coming from this place by the way, but the discussion is wider than simply saying a magazine is right or wrong.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

reply to post by RogerT3

Compromise is great, but mostly that comes down to ignoring those who annoy or offend you... much as most of the country tends to do about my neck of the woods... the whole "no popery" thing they have going isn't going to change any time soon, nor is the whole "lets burn effigies of everyone we think is naughty" and while it does offend some after a few hundred years most now ignore them, and no harm is done.

It has however been touch and go at times with the police reading the riot act but getting thrown in the river for their impertinence, so now the agreement is one of ignoring, putting fingers in the ears and humming rather loudly around the 5th. Seems to work quite well...

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

reply to post by Hanrak77

Um, actually, if you dislike Christians because they are Christian, and not because each individual you have come across has irked you personally, then the chances are that you are a xenophobic goose stepper, on a one way trip to hell. If however you have understandable reasons for disliking Christian individuals then that is a different matter. Also, you may dislike many people who are Christian, but saying that you dislike Christians as a whole group is pretty racist, yeah.

Essentially, if you dislike any body because of a demographic they belong to, rather than on thier individual merits, you probably arent worth the skin you are in.

No, you are confusing discrimination with racism there buddy. I will save you from further embarrassment but if you would like me to post a link to the Oxford dictionary's definition of racism feel free to ask. It's not racist to disagree or even dislike a religion or followers of that religion. If you dislike said religion because of skin colour or ethnic origin then we have racism.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join