It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why gold and silver coins are worth more than their face value

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
it has to do with customs - believe it or not.
you see if you take 5 Toz Gold 20$ coins out of the USA - thats what 1700$ per oz. right now... well, the way it works is
when you sign your customs forms - you put the face value of the coins which would be 100$ not 9k_ totally avoiding customs of the country you are traveling too.... so, unless specified use the face value not the metal value. ok... just a hint if you got to get out with your nest egg. and if you have a passport its a good idea to get one and get the paperwork for a visa - you can always roll it forward in the future - but you will have a hard time to get everything in order once a flood of people are trying to leave in a situation like what happend to Argentina - they could not leave --- this is how you can plan for if SHTF which is closer than ever - I would say it could happen within a couple of months - but what do I know....
edit on 18-9-2012 by 1BornPatriot because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Errrr ... I thought it was obvious "why gold and silver coins are worth more than their face value".
Because of their gold or silver content which gives them a value in excess of just their face value alone.
edit on 18/9/12 by tauristercus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I am an idiot.

Please explain a little deeper.

Thanks

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

if you have 50 lbs of silver - you dont put the silver weight but the face value of the coins.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1BornPatriot
reply to post by dizziedame

if you have 50 lbs of silver - you dont put the silver weight but the face value of the coins.

I'm still confused ....
What does this have to do with the title of your thread ... "why gold and silver coins are worth more than their face value" ? We all KNOW why such coins are worth more than just face value alone.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

ah. common sense, tax rates, reporting requirements etc... if it were worth what it was worth then it would be worth less because it would be subject to your declaration. ok, "no one can hold anything against you - you did not say" ....

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by tauristercus
Errrr ... I thought it was obvious "why gold and silver coins are worth more than their face value".
Because of their gold or silver content which gives them a value in excess of just their face value alone.

THIS

It is the same reason in reverse as to why paper money is worth more than the paper it is printed on.

edit on 18-9-2012 by Superhans because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

it's quite simple really ...a 1 ounce silver coin has a silver content value of $34 dollars but the vlaue printed on the coin may only be $1 - that being the numismatic value of the coin, So even though the coin has a silver content of $34 dollars when going into a foreign country they only take into account that numesmatic value - that being 1 dollar.

Hope that helps.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mythkiller

it's quite simple really ...a 1 ounce silver coin has a silver content value of $34 dollars but the vlaue printed on the coin may only be $1 - that being the numismatic value of the coin, So even though the coin has a silver content of $34 dollars when going into a foreign country they only take into account that numesmatic value - that being 1 dollar.

Hope that helps.

Again ... I'm more than aware of the intrinsic value of gold/silver coins compared to their "face" value.

But the OP has titled this thread
"why gold and silver coins are worth more than their face value"
and instead of explaining, goes of instead on a completely different tangent regarding customs and declaration of the coins themselves.

How about instead sticking to the title of this thread and actually EXPLAINING why gold and silver coins are worth more than their face value.
Actually, don't bother as it's self evident that it's their metal content that makes them worth more than their face value.

I'm right now holding an Australian $100 gold coin. It's face value is EXACTLY $100 but going by the gold content, it's actual intrinsic value is well in excess of $400.

indeed !

top topics

join