It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Age of the Cyberpunk begins with a lesson in hiding in plain sight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
With cameras popping up all over the place, many people have become concerned about facial recognition software and how it can be used to track just about every move one makes while out in public. Social Networking has also entered upon this arena with things like tagging. Well a company by the name of CV Dazzle has come up with an innovative approach to privacy that can be implemented without the use of anything other than stuff you might find in your bathroom and at the local drug store.

CV Dazzle™ is camouflage from computer vision (CV). It is a form of expressive interference that combines makeup and hair styling (or other modifications) with face-detection thwarting designs.

CV Dazzle

The name is derived from a type of camouflage used during WWI, called Dazzle, which was used to break apart the gestalt-image of warships, making it hard to discern their directionality, size, and orientation. Likewise, the goal of CV Dazzle is to break apart the gestalt of a face, or object, and make it undetectable to computer vision algorithms, in particular face detection.

CV Dazzle can be used in any environment where automatic face recognition systems are in use, including Flickr and Facebook.

While there are several obvious approaches to hiding from face detection, some of these can be dismissed. Sunglasses, for example, are a known occlusion which some algorithms account for. And, though functionally effective, wearing masks in public can be illegal. Hoods are popular and effective but make the wearer's intent to hide too obvious. As an alternative, this project explores ways of hiding in plain sight using ambiguously deceptive fashion.

To design the looks, software was developed that combines interactive drawing and genetic algorithms to detect vulnerabilities in the face detection process. By understanding how face-detection algorithms work, an anti-face can be constructed and used as a guide for creating makeup and hair-styling that foils the face detection process. As a result, your face becomes undetectable to machines yet retains some level of legibility to humans.

Personally I think these looks are like something right out of some Cyberpunk story. I know that not everyone wants to walk around looking like this guy though

Which leads one to wonder if there could be other ways to hide in plain sight by altering your hair or makeup. Its certainly an interesting concept and would make a great springboard for those looking to pioneer new forms of privacy protection.

edit on 17-9-2012 by irsuccubus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
How about the old laser pointer on the ball cap trick. Does that still work?

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I think I'd rather just walk around with a bag on my head than look like those people. Im sure that its perfectly legal to walk around in public with a mask on in most states, but dont quote me on that. I may be wrong as the laws change frequently.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by 369821
I think I'd rather just walk around with a bag on my head than look like those people. Im sure that its perfectly legal to walk around in public with a mask on in most states, but dont quote me on that. I may be wrong as the laws change frequently.
If the muslims can do it, why can't the rest of us?

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Good point. But Im not a woman so wearing a burka and claiming religious beliefs arent gonna cut it in my defense.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Good point. But Im not a woman so wearing a burka and claiming religious beliefs arent gonna cut it in my defense.
If you wear a full burka, how will they know what you are?

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I didnt think of that. But its hot as hell here in the south. Jeans and a T-shirt are plenty enough to make you sweat to a stroke. But if it really comes down to it, I may consider it an option.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I think applicable exfoliating masks are the way to go. You know, those thin masks that form when the cream is applied and dried. Think about it, but with these masks that com in packs that have the designs overlayed on them. They are thin and don't look like masks (would look like the individual's face is shiny/greasy and they have one use. Buy them in packs or whatever.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I didnt think of that. But its hot as hell here in the south. Jeans and a T-shirt are plenty enough to make you sweat to a stroke. But if it really comes down to it, I may consider it an option.
I live in Florida, so I take your point.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by irsuccubus

While there are several obvious approaches to hiding from face detection, some of these can be dismissed. Sunglasses, for example, are a known occlusion which some algorithms account for.

This is not completely true, what it's talking about is total face detection! To see if you have a face or a head

The old sunglasses still work by hiding the cheek, nasal, supra, temporal bone features etc... add that with a mustache or a beard your still good to go, yes face recognition systems will know that you have a face... but with sunglasses and a stache it will not know what your face looks like.

edit on 17-9-2012 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well they may have to outlaw baseball caps and sunglasses in deisignated public areas.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
got a knife

problem solved!

top topics

join