It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i got stuck in quicksand today.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Yep, i really did. I bought a brand new ruger 10/22 today, figured id do a little squirrel/coyote/big foot hunting wth it. I got off the trail a little bit and got "lost", but still had an idea of which direction the trail was, so i started walking towards it. I mustve been half a mile away from it, didnt think i was that far out there. I felt like i was getting close, the ground was starting to feel a little bit muddy. All of a sudden im up to my freakin knees in uhm....quick peat? Quick mud? Like quick sand but heavier and stickier. Struggling only pulled me in deeper.....i stopped, turned around, and the only way i could get out was to sort of fall forward and slowly pull my feet out, without my shoes, and then reach in and grab my shoes. Of course there was nothing to grab ahold of or anything to help the situation, and i was alone with no cell signal and a couple miles from a paved road.....

Also. i had to throw my gun down to use my hands. Apparently the magazine fell out. Im now at walmart to buy new shoes and a magazine.

Anyhow....there wasnt even sand anywhere. Or water that i was aware of.....but there was a stream nearby i didnt see at that point. There mustve been a spring under that spot or something. It looked just like ordinary soil for the area, until i fell into it.

Obviously i lived. But have you ever even considered this possibility?would really suck to bug out from nuclear hocaust in the woods and survive all that, only to have the ground open up and swallow you......
struggling only gets you in deeper, and youre usually a couple of feet away from solid ground when you fall in. And there might not be any warning. But you can float on it....

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

Yep, i really did. I bought a brand new ruger 10/22 today

You bought a new Ruger today, or picked up the one you bought last week, as you had a 'cooling off period' to wait thru..?

Also, stay away from hunting and survival, as it seems to not be your forte...

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Cooling off period only applies to handguns for the most part. And if you can show valid proof of a firearms purchase in the last year or a CCW, you can walk right out with your purchase.
The OP brings up a valid point. Theres far more dangers in nature to worry about when you "bug out" than most people realize. Good post IMO

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Did you get a shot at any Big Feets???

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
That's awesome!!

Seriously, how many people can say they got stuck in quicksand? You're the only one I've ever heard of.
You just got like 3 cool points.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Thanks for the post! I think you and anyone who reads this learned a valuable lesson to always be aware of your surroundings, no matter how familiar or safe you think you are. Nature can come up and bite you in the butt before you know what is happening.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Because of the higher density of the quicksand, it would be impossible for a human or animal to completely sink in the quicksand

In actuality the quicksand is harmless on its own, but because it greatly impedes human locomotion, the quicksand would allow harsher elements like solar radiation, dehydration, hypothermia or tides to harm a trapped person

Interesting.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Yep, not every day you hear of someone getting stuck in quick sand. Its pretty cool.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
When I was younger I did the same with mud and got caught up to my knees in a cow pasture after a lot of rain. I couldn't move until I did as you did and pulled my feet out of my shoes while sprawling my body out so as not to weigh to much in one spot. I then had to low crawl from the area.
It's an experience realizing that you might just be stuck while sinking the more you struggle. Fortunately I had a friend along for the ride. It was at first fear and then after freeing ourselves became laughter.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Whenever I walk in the bush which is often , I try and stick to the higher ground . I hate having wet feet and in Canada it's a real no no hypothermia can set in pretty quick !

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
That is awesome, and glad you are around to tell the tale! Im from the UK and there's no quick sand here, i only thought that stuff existed in movies lol
Nice post dude glad it had a happy ending (apart from your gun snd shoes that is)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Im going to star you just for saying ;

Originally posted by watchitburn

Awesome

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Thank God the 10/22 is okay though right??

Get the 25/30 round banana mag, in fact get 2.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rick004
reply to post by yourmaker

Whenever I walk in the bush which is often , I try and stick to the higher ground . I hate having wet feet and in Canada it's a real no no hypothermia can set in pretty quick !

I'm on the west coast so hypothermia isn't possible until deep winter unless we venture into the mountains.

Liquefaction is actually a possibility in my area if an earthquake were to hit.
I think i'm relatively safe since i'm on top of a ridge, but the people down the road might have problems with water gushing creating a new bay. If Cascadia ever ruptured that would be it for Richmond, B.C

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Cooling off period?this is michigan! I dont even have to get a background check since i have a ccw. Oh and i had a 1911 45 on my hip. Both guns are fine
i just bought a 10 round banana clip. There isnt a hunting capacity limit for rimfire as far as i know, but since i can only have 5 rounds in a centerfire....i think ill lay low and not get the dnr after me lol....

I plan on turning the 10/22 into a scary evil assault rifle eventually....

I see no reason to stay away from hunting/survival. I did survive. And i only didnt bag any critters cause i got pissed off and left....lol.

Now, quicksand is usually only deadly in movies.....but as has been brought up, it gets you stuck and allows other things to kill you easier....

edit on 16-9-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I found a quicksand pool one time because i drove right into it and sunk the front of my truck to the frame

Was breaking trail in the spring and the first one down the road and drove into a small puddle only to have my truck sink to the frame and the front bumper hang up on the other side.

About a hour winching my truck out with a Griphoist winch then 5 truck loads of rock down the hole i was able to drive across.

Came back the next day and found a forest ranger with his truck in the same hole and the rock was gone.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Last month I was walking in a river valley when the person ahead of me just about stepped into a hole in the ground about three feet wide. It went down about 12 feet into a small cavernous area cut out by a now dry underground creek. It was really unexpected and unusual for this area.

If somebody had been alone and ended up down there they would have never been found. It really pays to really pay attention to your step! I'm reminded of the natives living in the Amozon rain forest and their brain is really wired to be able to spot all of the things they can't afford to step on.

I considered what I would have done if I had ended up down in that hole. Climbing out would have been impossible. I fortunately carry a SPOT emergency transmitter. I would have tied a string to it, activated it and tossed it out of the hole a few times hoping it would have landed right side up and got a message out at least once.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
That's awesome!!

Seriously, how many people can say they got stuck in quicksand? You're the only one I've ever heard of.

My cousin and I got stuck in quicksand on a family camping trip at Yosemite when we were kids. My memory of the incident is a bit fuzzy but I do remember managing to get myself out and pulling as hard as I could on my cousin to help him out. It was scary as hell and we ended up getting lost for a good 2 hours after that.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Actually, tossing the rifle could have been a mistake. If necessary, you might have used it to help distribute your weight by sort of lying across it with your chest. Something to keep in mind...

My ol' Dad got into some quicksand when he was a youngster playing in an abandoned gravel quarry.
Luckily, there was an escape from a nearby women's penitentary, and one of the search party heard him hollering.

If not for those brave female escapees, Subject X wouldn't even exist.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by subject x

Or he could have used his rifle to signal for help if his efforts to free himself failed. But is sounds like he managed to free himself and all is good. Glad he prevailed.

<<   2  3 >>

join