It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i got stuck in quicksand today.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
reply to post by phroziac

Yep, i really did. I bought a brand new ruger 10/22 today

You bought a new Ruger today, or picked up the one you bought last week, as you had a 'cooling off period' to wait thru..?

Also, stay away from hunting and survival, as it seems to not be your forte...

I thought we got knowledge from experience. How many people here on ATS can say they know how to get out of quicksand?....from 1st hand experience?????? THIS IS HOW WE LEARN....OR DIE. Why not give the OP a thumbs up for getting out of his ordeal? What is the matter with people like you???????

To the OP: Good for you for getting yourself out of a "sticky" situation! SNF
edit on 17-9-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Lol at sticky situation..
thanks for the backup.

The rifle, hmm. its only a 22, not much of a signal. I had thought about using it to get out, and i didnt toss it far....just enough to free my hands of it. It doesnt have a sling yet. Good idea though....only reason i didnt is that it turned out i was very near the edge of solid ground...

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Dude, don't let the comedians on ATS phase you. Some on this board adhere to the dictum that you should never post anything that portrays you in a human/mortal light. If it doesn't boost your image as an Overman, you shouldn't type it.

Such people are more worried about their image on fakebook than about info that could save one's own life in the world beyond the walls of mom's basement.

haters be hatin.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
On behalf of the squirrels, I would like to thank the quicksand.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Did you use your new gun to blow your legs off to get outta there?? lol

Can you get into more detail of what was running through your head at that time? I am interested to know whether you though you were going to get out of there okay or this was your final moments on earth....

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Hey OP, Thank you for the information!
I'm curious, were there swamps around too or just the spring?
I'm in MI as well, and because I was a tomboy from hell, as dad used to call me, he made sure all of us knew about "quickbog" around swamps and what to do. Never lost shoes though, cause I never wore them!

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
DP
edit on 17-9-2012 by chiefsmom because: DP

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

At first i was thinkin i just ruined my shoes and sockd Soon i was thinking these were my final moments on earth. After a few minutes i started leaning into it....and im like yessssss im freer.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by trysts

What happens when the squirrels become overpopulated, which is compensated by coyotes eating them, causing a boom in the coyote population? coyotes have no natural predators, and eat pets, livestock, ......

And we eat them. Are cows less important?

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

You live in Michigan. You have to know Michigan, especially the UP, is full of swamps. Quite certain it as a swamp that got you.

Be safe. Sounds like you did the right thing to get out. I would have panicked and probably been food for some swamp creature.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Interesting story, which is quite similar to my story. One time I was walking along the shore line of a lake on hard packed sand, or so I thought, and the next second I was up to my knees in quicksand in one step. It was amazing how fast you go straight down, and its quite a shock to your system when you realize that the wet sand is packed in around you very tightly. Fortunately for me, a friend of mine was following along behind me and pulled me out.

The quicksand was caused by water moving through the sand at that location down into the lake. It was quite amazing and made me wonder how many others got stuck in the sand at that location while walking along the bank.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Also, stay away from hunting and survival, as it seems to not be your forte...

I love this friggen guy !
Survival just isn't your forte.

OP

Losing your shoes, is big indicator that Face is right. And what a nasty way to go ? Having the earth just suck the clay back in and then you go to the mysterious disappearances list.
What happened to him ?
Nobody knows ! It's like the earth just swallowed him up ! Not at all the best way to go.

Stay safe my adventuresome fellow member . Sorry for my dark humor.

SnF for embarking on this calamity of a melancholy share. Some great responses.

edit on 17-9-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Crazy gun toting Americans, will be the end of us all......... Wait Im american I have firearms.

Good of you OP to get out of the quicksand. Iv done the same, in the south a lot of the lake are drawn down in winter and I will walk the bottoms looking for lead to reuse for fishing weights. 3 yrs ago I was walking along the bottom and within 2 steps I was up to my waist in quick silt mud. I didnt panic luckily their was a log in arms reach and its true the more you move the more you sink.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac

What happens when the squirrels become overpopulated, which is compensated by coyotes eating them, causing a boom in the coyote population? coyotes have no natural predators, and eat pets, livestock, ......

All animals seem to have one natural predator, phroziac, but there's not enough quicksand in the world to stop them: People armed with guns and excuses to use them. Poor squirrels...

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I have a friend that went through a similar experience. One of his dogs didn't come home one evening so he went looking for it. He lives in southern Georgia near a river. He fell into a large hole that was made by uprooted trees. When he didn't come home his wife, son and neighbors went looking for him. The dog he was looking for led them to him and he was fine just exhausted from trying to climb out. The ground was so sandy it kept caving in on him. You have to be careful all the time it's the unexpected things that get you.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
lol that sucks, it happened to me once. I had had way too much to drink and I attributed my walking difficulties to that at the time. It is kind of scary at first but then you kind of just get out once you discover it is not as bad as the TV makes it out to be

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I got stuck in quicksand too,it's called marriage

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac

All animals seem to have one natural predator, phroziac, but there's not enough quicksand in the world to stop them: People armed with guns and excuses to use them. Poor squirrels...

So youre vegan then?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I remember when I was 9 or so my family were on vacation house boating on the Sacramento river area. My sister and I wondered off to pick some raspberries we saw growing on the rivers edge. Turned out the entire front of the raspberry patch was next to quicksand. I walked right into it. Man was I freaked out because it's true the
Ore you struggle the more you sink but if you just stand there you only sink maybe waist deep. Luckily my sister was there and helped pull me out of the quicksand.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Outside of bad Hollywood movies and places in second life........ nine times out of ten .......... quicksand is nothing to be too concerned about at all.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join