It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange noise in the 30-40 kHz range

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I've been hearing this weird fluctuating tone that is in the 30-40 kHz range; has anyone else noticed it? It starts and stops randomly so far as I can tell, but it seems to be more active at night. And YES I can hear things in that range.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Can you be more specific? Does it simply come and go at random, with no one around you able to hear it? Also perhaps saying a high-pitched whistle would be more appropriate, as no human can hear something in that frequency range. What are you using to measure this tone?

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Acronychal

It comes on in the evening and stops around 4-5am. And it isn't a whistle so much as a tone, but it isn't a flat tone.
The fed tests your hearing range when you sign up for service. The marines get the same test as the navy does in this regard and they have a more in-depth test (sonar operators.) So, YES humans can hear in this range but 20kHz is 'average'.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Well perhaps this tone is not uncommon then, as if you do have the super-hearing your suggesting, you might be one of a few able to dissociate such frequencies. I have worked in music for 10 years and I have met no one able to audibly identify a tone greater than about 22-25 kHz, so if you are hearing (or I guess experiencing) a tone that high, perhaps it is simply because you can, and those tones are frequent or perhaps emitting from some machine or animal, maybe even a bug doing some high-pitched mating call.

Other thatn that I could only suggest it as something occuring internally, though I couldn't say.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

As for other people being able to hear it... all of the dogs start going off when it comes on. Does that count? This kind of stuff is already on the market

en.wikipedia.org...

I'd just like to know what it is I'm actually hearing.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Well it's really hard to say to be honest. A dog whistle is all I can suggest as there is little to no manufactured things that can produce such a high frequency (purposfully, that isn't natural). Things like speakers can go up to around 30kHz, heck even 50kHz (rarely) and most heaphones can't go above around 20khz. So unfortunatly i can't say I know what it is, maybe do some research into high frequency machines, or even dog whistles...

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Have you actually measured the khz or is that a guess?

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

You mean like HAARP? I don't think that operates at the same frequency. Maybe cell towers? But then it'd be 24/7. I guess I'm just hoping that other people start posting and know what I'm talking about. You know the noise that a muted T.V. makes? Not the tubes or the gun firing up, but the current running in the machine. It's kinda like that only it fluctuates more.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

I tested at that range of hearing just fine. As to what specific frequency I'm hearing, I can't be certain.. 46kHz? 42kHz? dunno.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SymbolicLogic

I tested at that range of hearing just fine. As to what specific frequency I'm hearing, I can't be certain.. 46kHz? 42kHz? dunno.

Yeah I know you can't be certain, I asked because I thought it was strange that you mentioned it.

Anyway, has anyone else with you heard it?

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Sounds like some kind of power source fluctuating. And if it happens only at night...is there any construction in your area where the utility poles / transformer near you would be draining? Any Underground work going on..like a bridge or tunnel? ...otherwise, If I were you and you can hear it, I'd be walking around my neighbor hood investigating. I'd follow the noise. But that's just me... And If you do go investigating, be safe and smart about it! ( disclaimer) ..
If it goes until 5 am, sounds to me like someone working a night shift. ...

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Besides the dogs no-one seems to notice. But sound, whether it's heard or not, tends to have a profound effect on people. I'm sure someone else is aware of it. Besides the dogs that is.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I used to be able to tell when electrical equipment was powered on, because I could literally here the high pitched tone.

maybe you should try eliminating any electrical equipment sources first.

Does the sound follow you around? or is it only in one place?

Have you been tested for tinatus?

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Can you remember if the tonal qualities sound like something is talking, but your only hearing the outer parts of the sound, like hearing your neighbors have a conversation across the street in a way, only understanding the inflections? What region are you in? I hear it too but i get words because their talking to me. I told the army they said i was crazy, only the air force perceivably helped me a few years ago. Telepathic technology is malfunctioning, it converts thought waves into the audible range, but it's supposed to only be heard by me, i learned over time how to make it quiet, little did i realize i would be causing these anomalies, you know how it is fighting for your sanity. If you had someone threatening you all the time every day with a loud machine that gets inside your head, you would fight the mind war too..

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by truthermantwo

No, nothing like that. As far as I can tell, with noises that are in that frequency range, it's just tone/no tone. Sorry, no telepathic thought patterns being embedded into people here. Just a really annoying noise that keeps me up at night.

*edit: yes I turned off electrical equipment and no I don't have tinnitus. Tinnitus doesn't turn on and off like clockwork.
edit on 16-9-2012 by SymbolicLogic because: electronics/tinnitus

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SymbolicLogic

It might be from a switch mode power supply (SMPS) ,
They are becoming quite common because of smaller size and greater efficiency than regular
power supplies for electronics.
Maybe try unplugging stuff when you start to hear the sound.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Two questions OP:
1.) What is your general location?
2.) Is this duration about 12 hours?

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

Same here, I remember the old vacuum tube TVs/monitors sometimes used to 'squeal', other electrical things too. I heard it's because of the transformers?

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
If the dogs are hearing it, then it is there. ..that is your proof. You are not hearing thing in your head or having a medical issue. Again, if the dogs are REACTiNG to it, then it's there and the dogs are trying to let the humans know it's there.
Honestly, it sounds to me like an electrical or power surge of some kind. For what? I don't know...but to really get to the bottom of it, you need to walk around your house or neighbor hood and follow the sound. It could be someone's amplifier left on after band practice,And it's surging. It could be some electrical wires outside your house that are touching and making a sporadic hum, it could be construction down the road ( night crew) and their draining your transformer in your neighborhood.
I had a weird hum that would come on and off in my old house . It would come on for about 10 seconds and then shut off. And it did it randomly. And it did it alot! Mostly at 6 am....It drove me nuts! No one else was hearing it but my cat! So I knew it was real! Because she would react! Turns out it was an electrical issue in the closet wall between me and my neighbor. Every time they turned on a certain switch, the power surged, and wires in the wall touched that shouldn't touch and would make a weird hum. Finally I had my condo gutted and renovated, and we figured it out . It was electrical issue. So...if nothing else...you may figure it up and stop a fire hazard!

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acronychal
Can you be more specific? Does it simply come and go at random, with no one around you able to hear it? Also perhaps saying a high-pitched whistle would be more appropriate, as no human can hear something in that frequency range. What are you using to measure this tone?

At that range it would be a low droning humm. Bairly audable to most people, but can be noticed to those with a low frequency bias, 20-16mhz is about the bottom of human hearing range.

FYI: "Dirty bass" is 33mhz. the ocean has an ambient of around 16mhz... Im interested in this as I am experimenting with sub-sonics
edit on 16-9-2012 by cartenz because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join