It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As Elections Loom, Delayed Deportations Get Approval

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
A big slap to the ones that migrate legally to the US. Truely wrong be it a Republican or Democrat POTUS. All the money spent by DHS on bulletproofing the systems to check the records at the airports and ports of entries contradicts such political moves.

The Obama administration approved the first wave of applications from young undocumented immigrants who want to avoid deportation and get a work permit, less than two months before the presidential election where both the Obama camp and the Romney are looking for the upper hand when it comes to the Latino vote.

LINK
Your thoughts/comments/opinions/viewpoints please.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I moved here legally.

I jumped through all the hoops I had to

It looks like these young people who were brought here as children and have in some way become productive members of society will have to jump through the same hoops.

To be eligible for deferred deportation, applicants must have come to the U.S. before they turned 16, be 30 or younger, be high school graduates or in college, or have served in the military. The immigrants could not have a serious criminal record. Read more: latino.foxnews.com...

Applicants must pay a $465 paperwork fee that is expected to cover the cost of processing the work permit and fingerprint collection. Read more: latino.foxnews.com...

OPs Source

I really don't see the problem.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I don't see the problem, either. These people are raised here and have loyalty to this country, the same as I do. They aren't criminals.

Immigration reform needs to happen and this is the first step. Of course, Romney would do it for votes whereas Obama has supported it all along:

Obama statement from Jun 28, 2008

"For all the noise and anger that too often surrounds the immigration debate, America has nothing to fear from today’s immigrants. They have come here for the same reason that families have always come here--for the hope that in America, they could build a better life for themselves and their families. Like the waves of immigrants that came before them and the Hispanic Americans whose families have been here for generations, the recent arrival of Latino immigrants will only enrich our country."

Romney on the Dream Act, April, 2012:

Acknowledging the vulnerability of the GOP position, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio began working up his own version of the Dream Act, by way of a GOP response, or defense, against the mounting Democratic focus on Latinos. Romney said he was studying Rubio’s plan, and later called for a GOP version of the act. “We have to get Hispanic voters to vote for our party,” Romney told donors at a private fundraiser in mid-April.

So, Obama is doing it for humanitarian reasons and to help the country's economy... Romney would do it for Latino votes... What he isn't aware of (because he's clueless) is that Latinos know the difference.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

True so instead of stopping the issue at hand(illegal immigration), it is being promoted.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
So, Obama is doing it for humanitarian reasons and to help the country's economy... Romney would do it for Latino votes... What he isn't aware of (because he's clueless) is that Latinos know the difference.
So instead of stopping the issue at hand(illegal immigration), it is being promoted. Why would people wait forever if they can take this approach to migrate to the US? And do not be under the impression that Obama is doing it for humanitarian reason
Its politics as usual at the end of the day.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Originally posted by hp1229
Why would people wait forever if they can take this approach to migrate to the US?

The benefactors of the Dream Act were children when they came to the US. Are you suggesting that now 5-year-olds are going to decide to come to America illegally to take advantage of the Dream Act?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I really don't see how this is promoting illegal immigration.

There is no process for immigrants to apply as soon as they cross the border.

They have to have been brought here as children and have served in the armed forces, graduated from high school or be in college and have no criminal record.

Their parents do not automatically become citizens.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by BritofTexas
reply to post by hp1229

The entire act promotes the others that have yet to cross the border (not the kids but the adults).

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

Why would people wait forever if they can take this approach to migrate to the US?

The benefactors of the Dream Act were children when they came to the US. Are you suggesting that now 5-year-olds are going to decide to come to America illegally to take advantage of the Dream Act?

Nope. The others who are outside the US borders (adults and not 5 year olds) who will know that eventually during election times, they have a chance of becoming legal.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

The entire act promotes the others that have yet to cross the border (not the kids but the adults).

This has nothing to do with adults. Do you understand what the Dream Act is?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

No. It does not.

It is not an Amnesty.

This was an amnesty.

Advocates of strong enforcement of U.S. immigration laws charge that the new Bush plan is really a massive new amnesty Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Bush Amnesty Plan Raises Immigration Concerns

This was an amnesty.

But the bill also made any immigrant who'd entered the country before 1982 eligible for amnesty — a word not usually associated with the father of modern conservatism.

A Reagan Legacy: Amnesty For Illegal Immigrants

This is not an amnesty.

Individuals who meet the following criteria from Secretary Napolitano’s June 15, 2012 memorandum will be considered for deferred action: Have arrived in the U.S. when they were under the age of sixteen; Have continuously resided in the U.S. for at least five years prior to June 15, 2012 and have been present in the U.S. on June 15, 2012; Currently be in school, have graduated from high school, have a GED, or be an honorably discharged veteran of the U.S. Coast Guard or the U.S. Armed Forces; Not have been convicted of a felony offense, a “significant misdemeanor offense,” three or more non-significant misdemeanors, or otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety; and Have been under thirty-one years old on June 15, 2012.

Deferred Action

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

They have to have been brought here as children and have served in the armed forces, graduated from high school or be in college and have no criminal record.

So then are you for deporting the parents? Do you think that will ever happen? What they want is the vote, which means getting the parents to stay too. How do you do that on such a hotbed issue? You find a crack. Children always make for a great crack. You first get the children approved, and then you use that to say "we can't separate families" and get approval for the rest. Tada, instant votes.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

reply to post by hp1229

So then are you for deporting the parents? Do you think that will ever happen? What they want is the vote, which means getting the parents to stay too. How do you do that on such a hotbed issue? You find a crack. Children always make for a great crack. You first get the children approved, and then you use that to say "we can't separate families" and get approval for the rest. Tada, instant votes.

We are talking about adults brought here as children so the family argument will not work.

To vote they need to be citizens. To be citizens they need to be in the country legaly for several years.

So don't worry. They will not be flooding the polls to vote for Obama.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

We are talking about adults brought here as children so the family argument will not work.

To vote they need to be citizens. To be citizens they need to be in the country legaly for several years.

Ok, you clearly either did not read, or are unable to comprehend my post. I will try again. Once the adults brought here as children are granted their stay, then the Democrats will say the Parents who brought them here as children need to be allowed to stay as well so as to not break up the family. Further down the road these people will become voters, and immediately latino citizens who can legally vote this year will support Democrats because of this. It's a stepping stone. When your goal is something few people will agree to, you find something people will agree to and use that to get your original unpopular idea passed.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

This has nothing to do with adults. Do you understand what the Dream Act is?
To be honest I dont understand the Dream Act but please enlighten me in your own viewpoints. Ofcourse I can always google it.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

No it would encourage the parents from non US countries such as Cuba, Haiti, Mexico etc etc to migrate illegally to US in the hopes that their children would someday become legal during election times.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

Ofcourse not. Its politics in the end to appeal the minorities basically that might or might be related to the illegals by race or by relations.

top topics

join