It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you REALLY overcome depression?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
There are so many wonderful replies here. Great advice! I am not depressed, but took care of my wife for many years to treat, I would also suggest the gYm, meet other people there building confidence just as you are. That exercise gives you 80% increase in confidence.
Put a real picture of Yourself up there, you are not an avatar... You are you!
Connect as often as possible with family and friends, real friends that you can see and touch.
Make sure your dr. Knows clearly your needs and discusses all of your medicinal options, and stick to it!
Find the right partner who loves you from within to no end, and have sex, sex, sex! Then laugh and play all day long, that in itself will cure 95%.
Find a faith, believing in something together and sharing with that someone special gives one confidence and strength as a family, it helps give one hope..... and simply has an all around 'no matter what happens we'll be fine' armor.
bless you with good fortune

edit on 13-9-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-9-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by PassedKarma

I don't know brother. I wish I did. But I can tell you one thing for certain: medication won't help. You're spot on there. I've met dozens of depressed/f-ed up people in my life, and 99.999% of the time, meds make it worse. Usually lots worse.

I don't suffer from chronic recurring depression, but I've been there (a few times), and my only advice is to find your center. Take it easy and slow. Meditate. Not in any religious or spiritual way, just calm your mind and find yourself. Work out who you are and what you're doing here. Realize how incredible it is that you are aware of feeling depressed. That's a blessing in disguise, believe me. Sometimes we get so caught up in pain that we forget how amazing it is to be able to feel anything at all.

REMEMBER: It will pass. You have to do your part, keep a PMA (positive mental attitude), surround yourself by nice people and things and good music etc. In the end, it will pass. Might take a while, but all good things do. Whatever you do, don't dwell on the negative emotions. Just accept that you feel like crap and move on about your day with the knowledge that it's not forever.

Bring back some novelty in your life. Do some things you never thought you'd do, like skydive/travel/whatever - just get out of your comfort zone. Start small and work your way up to big things and before you know it you'll remember why you used to love being alive.

Good luck friend. Sometimes the hardest thing you can do is accept something you don't like. Accept that you feel like sh#t, and then it's not so scary anymore. You have to embrace your suffering (without self-harming etc.). Just remember that without the experience of depression, you could never possibly appreciate joy as it was intended to be appreciated. And joy will come! Keep your head up.

Just my 2 cents from spending years in a hole. Despite what the doctors prescribe, there's no easy cure. Life is struggle. But it can also be beautiful, if you let it be. Just remember, there's nothing wrong with you. What you're going through is a sane reaction to an insane world. You just have to learn to cope in the best way that suits you. It's not easy, but it can be done. Peace

Stay strong

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
When I figure it out, I'll be sure and let you know, TC.

I've tried medication, psychoanalysis, group therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, spirituality, music, primal scream, meditation, hypnosis, and techniques best left unaddressed on ATS. Most of the time I'm alright, but there are times when nothing helps, and memories I can't get over and that no amount of time or therapy can ameliorate.

Maybe the trick is just to endure. I wish everyone who suffers from depression - or anything else - happiness and fulfillment. Peace.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by PassedKarma

I have been exploring this topic lately as I have noticed so many people around me suffer from anxiety or depression. What depression is in a way, is extreme emotion. I have put together a free Ebook with some quite powerful techniques that can really help you if you stick with them for at least 3 weeks, You can download it here: www.brainwavelove.com...

I suggest you watch this, too - www.youtube.com...

Depression really is a state of the mind that can be overcome if you dedicate yourself to self growth and positive thinking! Do wish you good luck on your journey, and most importantly - remember that life always makes you face stuff for good. It is always for good, as it will help you grow and become so much stronger as a person... one day you may even start helping others with similar problems...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
my aunt had really bad depression. She didnt eat. We caught her with a can of gasoline and a match one day. It was bad. But then when her daughter had a baby, she got better. She had new meaning in life. I think that being a grandmother made her happy again. I know that depression may have many causes, diet, etc but for her, i think it was just a new meaning of life. She is now known for talking. A lot. I think she could also have overcome it by getting a jog or hobby. She did not work and watched tv all day in an empty house.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Hi folks,

I've wanted to open an own thread about this, but I actually think this thread suits my intentions prety well.

I wasn't sure if I should put it into faith or health or well being at first.
I was living under the constant stress of very low self-esteem. I was never working at '100%' as we like to say.

Have got a bit of a drug carreer which resulted from self-medication. Mainly opioids and psychedelics, but I always avoided dissociatives like ketamine.

I don't smoke (only did smoke some weed from time to time) and now, over a decade of drug use, I've finally found the path to ketamine.

Every few months I buy myself a few grams (!) of ketamine and do a few days of binging on it.
It shatters my world view and it takes some time to re-adjust to 'reality', or rather until I feel I'm not hovering above the earth or outside my body like in an OOBE.

Ketamine has in the meanwhile been used as (legal), often off-label, treatment in various countries. In Germany, there's for example Ketamin.de
They do infusions with low-dose ketamine.

After doing ketamine, my body is highly sensitivized and like under electric power. Light hurts the eyes. That's the point when I stop and try to have a good and long nap and pop some diazepam or methadone to calmd own.

After that, I am usually for 3 months HAPPY, VIGILANT and most of all, ACTIVE! I'm usually a very lazy son of a bitch and I wasn't able to clean my flat in the last few years. Now I clean my flat, I do tidy up regularly, I can life a normal life.

Also, my world view and fear of death has been reduced.

A lot of people calm me intelligent because I know a lot about topics like Koiné Greek, Latin, Dutch, English and graphics design among other things like programming on various platforms and playing multiple instruments.

I was always interested in this stuff, but now I'm getting more and more productive, I can finally live the life I always wanted to live.

I really don't condone drugs unless you need them. And heavy ketamine use can lead to incontinence, it can cause cysts in your urinary tract and bladder. So don't do it, if something else works for you.

I also do meditation when I do drugs.

Leading the life that I do has given me my long awaited weight loss (healthy eating, fruits and wholemeal bread). I feel often at one with my environment and I try to be helpful to other people.

Now, I'm starting to go into what might be the actual world view / faith part:
Ketamine opens doors , it connects your consciousness to the universe. This is what I actually believe. It's one of the weirdest drugs and it's not really for escaping reality because it is very exhaustive, as is the endogenous drug '___' (Dimethyltryptamine). Even though some try to do that.

I recommend to anybody even just thinking about ketamine therapy the book Journeys into the bright world:
enthea.org...

It is the best book I've found so far on the topic of getting to know consciousness and yourself and attaining your goals by the usage of ketamine.

My life is like day and night now. But still, it's no CURE, you can take it a few times after another and expect to be without any big depression for a while (weeks, months), but people don't have to take the bull# pharmaceuticals big pharma wants us to take. Those antidepressants suck, have a heavy amount of bad side effects and are prone to sucicidal thoughts.

And as always, if you even take into account the slightest chance over taking Ketamine, DO inform yourself. Extensively!
Information and wisdom is power

Best of luck and regards,
Pix / Michael
edit on 21-4-2016 by Pixman because: forgot some stuff

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join