It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you REALLY overcome depression?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
The last thing I wanted to say is that I think truly happy people don't have the paradigm of "fighting every day like a battle, forcefully hyping oneself up with affirmations to cloud out negativity out of sheer will." Language is extremely powerful for the mind, and once we set up that paradigm it BECOMES a battle... I think happy people have a different metaphor than a battle altogether. They literally let life work for them, taking the good with the bad, and focusing on the good. Many tend to regard themselves as "realists" when they focus on the bad, although "the glass is half empty" is no more real than "the glass is half full." I think training the mind in pointing out the good in all things-- not simply hyping oneself up with affirmations but actually pointing out TRUE positivity that has occurred each day-- makes you realize how awesome things really are and conditions the mind to seek it out in the future. Hoping some happy folks can chime in here!

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
When I was depressed, I NEVER found anything that worked like "oh my god" in terms of lifting my mood. I just managed to rub along. A good email friend constantly persuaded me away from my suicidal thoughts, and I did things to distract myself as best as I could.
In the end, only medicine was my salvation. But we're all different. Who knows, when your situations improve, your moods may very well lighten accordingly. Keep hoping for that day.
edit on 12-9-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Hi PassedKarma,

I can see your light shining through in your post, still trying hard under tough conditions, your strength is admirable. Those that put you down were wrong for belittling you. I think it is them projecting their own problems onto you.

I had some major depression for years and have just found the strength and love of self to end an abusive relationship quite like the one sdocpublishing mentioned.

A few years ago I was having a lot of suicidal thoughts and I also became desperate to find some solutions that didn’t involve meds. This is some of what I came up with and I have gone from feeling absolute crap to feeling good most of the time. Took round 3 years but I did get immediate relief from both techniques.

EFT- clears emotional blockages, balances brain. I do this every day.

Deep breathing- was mentioned in an earlier post, so many amazing benefits. Properly known as abdominal/diaphramic breathing so as not to be confused with Tibetan power breathing. It is basically breathing into your stomach as slowly, quietly and smoothly as possible, in through the nose and out through the mouth. This helps the diaphragm to work which in turn triggers the parasympathetic nervous system (calm side of the nervous system).

Understanding Breath - good article on the physical science behind abdominal breathing.

Try to keep breathing like this all the time and try to notice when you catch or hold the breath and then maintain rhythm.

Hope some of this helps. Sending my prayers and energy.

PF

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by PassedKarma

Would you rather commit suicide and leave those beautiful children behind to deal with the after effects? You should discuss this with your primary care physician and try a medicine that will work for you. You are just miserable and don't have to be. Your children love and need you. Obviously trying to work this out on your own hasn't worked and won't if it hasn't in ten years!

The trick is finding the right med at the right dosage. I wish you well and hope you can find the courage and strength you need to do what is right for yourself and your children. Hugs!

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Vitamin d...go to the grocery store and buy some vitamin d supplements! And start taking them right away...I was low on vitamin d for awhile and it put me into a funk...
As for life issues happening to you that are not vitamin or chemical......you need a hobby!
I know you said you work out / exercise a lot, and please keep doing that.endorphinea are great! ....but working out in your case does not qualify as a hobby. .....you need a,hobby like gardening, or pottery , or painting. Something with your hands! When my father was I'll, I turned to gardening alittle bit every day..... I got out of the house, got fresh air, got some sun,and it was very therapeutic ! ....And I created a beautiful garden that my father loved, and I could share with my family...
The key is doing something with your HANDS! Like digging in the dirt with plants, or molding clay with your hands..... I know it sounds weird, but it very grounding, and brings you back to nature and gives you purpose. Please try it!

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Get off your ass and go get involved in doing something worthwhile. Better yet, go help someone with real problems and get out of your "Me Me Me" fixation.And if you can't do this, have someone drop you off 25 miles into the wilderness with a jug of water, a subway sandwich and a compass...you will snap out of it and realize it is people who make people crazy and nature will have none of that crap.

PS. If you should go out into the wilderness and die because you are too dumb to walk out, get yourself eaten by a bear or have some other accident, I hereby disclaim all and any responsibility and suggest you get a second opinion.

edit on 13-9-2012 by MajorKarma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I suffer from chronic depression quite regularly and my shrink advised me on listening to classical music really helps. It's a proven fact that music can alter your brain's structure, I'm still hoping for the better.

Neuro imaging

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Well, i can understand your problem and what you are going through. I would advice you to do yoga or perhaps a meditation to feel better. These are the mostly practiced exercises around the world to get rid of depression as well as anxiety. Many people have got some positive feedback from these.
Apart from these, you must join some kind of social classes or dance classes where you can meet new peoples and share your feelings with them to feel good.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

This is LONG, But i can assure you, you will want to read this!!!

Well Im not exactly sure if i can give you a straight up answer for this, but my 6 month long depression basically made me and I have learned ALOT from it.
I have learned that you got to live in your emotion. There are emotions that if they aren't used or reconized at all they can burst out. For me this was sitting in my room all day, listening to gloomyish songs (Time-fish;soundcloud.com...) and writing lyrics that fit my emotions. If you can't cope with your depression then this unsettled and still quitely unrecognized emotion will fight more, which usually leads to attempt suicide.
Second. To learn from it and STICK TO IT! Now, this will take time but for me steps I took was to not be with my friends too much. Because when your depressed it can hit you and depending on who your friends are they could easilly stir you up. THEN, one of my BIGGEST lessons from my depression was to reach out more to people and be as nice as i can. BUT DO NOT OVER DO IT! Say if someone drops something, pick it up. If you owe someone 10$ and they say its okay, pay them back. Just the little things like that, because you need BALANCE in your life. But if you have multiple friends who are dealing with depressing situations, try to avoid that for now. Thats like playing in a football game on a torn acl (Knee). You also NEED to learn how to keep your self calm... EX. If you have a sibling/girlfriend/boyfriend and they are irritating you/STOP!!!!! Now breath and think about this, is it worth wasting your time on and getting pissed and depressed?! All over this little thing? NO!! Just stay calm, either avoid them or TALK to them PEACEFULLY. It will work out to be MUCH smoother.

THIRD: THE UPCOMING!- Now, you have put in alot of work, lets not ruin it okay? You need to learn how to DEAL with this depression when it swings back. You need to understand that you need to look at life in both ways (remember, BALANCE is KEY). You need to look at good things in life and the bad too. Ill bring this up later. When you start feeling crappy again, you need to cut that out! My #1 method for this is SHUT your mind up and FOCUS on what your doing at the moment. You will NEED to learn how to cut out thoughts temporary for this, it just takes time and PRACTICE!! But I don't like to do this all the time, because if you do you will OVERLOAD yourself with these emotions building up. So if you feel crappy, thing of something that makes you happy! Try to start thinking about that as much as you can, always try to keep your chin up. Now see how when your down you think up? Well if when your up and you think down, then your using BALANCE and you can use happy emotions and depressing emotions without being DEPRESSED!
Again, balance!!! For me, ex. When im at school (high school) I look at things, think about the GOOD and the BAD. Homework, I will look at it and be like "#, i don't wanna do this!" and i actully take into consideration of not doing this but then I think of my grades and how happy I will be, my future and my family.

This is a shortened version of what I would have said, but I dont want to make it too long

RECREMENDATION- Watch "Spirit Science 1" - 17 on youtube. VERY powerful stuff

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by PassedKarma
I absolutely do NOT want to go on medication. I already eat extremely healthy (paleo diet) and exercise very regularly.

Had to get that out of the way. Ok. I have been battling extreme depression for the past 6 months or so. It's so bad it is now affecting my health. I've been depressed off and on for 10 years. But it always seems to be circumstantial. While it has been unfortunate circumstances these past 6 months, I have been barely able to cope. Or I haven't been able to cope. I had a suicide attempt in June. Which just made things worse. I shut my life down with no intentions of coming back. And I did... and I haven't been able to pick up the pieces.
Long long story very very short.... I just don't know how to be happy anymore. I desperately want to be happy. But I am not. I hate going to sleep at night because I know I have to get up and face another miserable day. I plead with God to just end my life. Or the universe. I don't even know if I believe in God anymore. I have 2 kids who need me and I feel guilty that I can not give them what they deserve. Or be the mother they deserve.
I have been left and abandoned time and time again. I've been told I will never be good enough over and over. That I'm worthless. A failure. A user (as in using people) and so on. I KNOW that I am none of these things. But I think my subconscious believes those things.

I just want to feel better. I want to live again. Everytime I start, something horrible happens and it just brings me back to how I am feeling now. I feel like there is nothing to do to get out of this cycle. I have tried everything. And nothing has worked. I feel as though I am being buried alive extremely slowly. That's the best way to describe it. Has anyone ever overcome depression without medication? I'm also not one for those positive affirmations they tell you to repeat to yourself. I'm a very cynical person. I don't believe in "God won't give you more than you can handle" If that were true, people wouldn't be trying to commit suicide. Or "everything happens for a reason". I have not seen any reason for some of the recent events in my life. NO MATTER WHAT the alternatives could have been, there has been absolutely NO REASON for some of the things that have happened. And I doubt I will see what the reasons are later on.
Any advice?

Hello
(I know giving medical advice is illegal but..)
Buy yourself some Omega 3 fish oils _high_ strength *emphasis added* and take a lot of them 3g a day.
Worked for me in what .. 3 days?
Low strength is junk...You are probably lacking in Neurotransmitters.
Also try to get a good sleep at _correct_ times. if you remember yourself dreaming that's good.
Try 9pm till 8am if you can manage it. I doubt you will notice the benefit much if your sleep is all over.
Limbo
EDIT
I forgot to add I have a box of Fluoxetine nailed to my wall in front of my computer as a reminder
of things that could have been.
(please let us know if it works or if you try it and it does not etc.)
edit on 13-9-2012 by Limbo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

try skydiving

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Sounds like your hormones are completely out of whack.
I'd try with some Maca root for a starters if I were you OP.

Maca root helps balance our hormones and due to an over abundance of environmental estrogens, most people's hormones are a bit out of whack. Maca stimulates and nourishes the hypothalamus and pituitary glands which are the "master glands" of the body. These glands actually regulate the other glands, so when in balance they can bring balance to the adrenal, thyroid, pancreas, ovarian and testicular glands. Instead of providing hormones to the body, maca works as an adaptogen which means that it responds to different bodies' needs individually. If you're producing too much of a particular hormone, maca will regulate the production downward. However, if you're producing too little, it'll regulate the production upward. Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I would recommend:
Getting sunshine every day you can.
Put a substantial amount animal fats in your diet - it can be red meat or butter or sour cream or cream cheese.
Take all gluten grains 100% out of your diet.
Consider smoking a joint.
Walk a half hour every day.
Get a dog or cat.
Every day tell yourself you are a good person. Those who would belittle you are evil. Stay away from them.
If that does not work, consider using an anti-depressant. Keep changing until you find the right one. My wife and daughter function just fine with them.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Environment is a big factor, is your house cluttered, do you find it depressing?

Simple things like throwing out a lot of junk, introducing plants and nature into your living space can do wonders. Google Feng shui or get a book on this topic from the library

EFT is something that has shown to achieve miracles for different people, even for the worst kinds of trauma and abuse

www.dailymotion.com...

the above video shows the miracles EFT was able to do on what i would consider one of the more difficult kinds of abuse, frequent sexual abuse from a family member.

It may sound funny, but I have found doing an Enema does absolute wonders for when I am depressed. Clears out my colon and supercharges my immune system and I feel like im floating on a high. Its a chemical high from your body going 'thank you ' for clearing out all the crap

Excercise is really good and proven to be better than dangerous meds, and I like to follow a 'fun-based' system of doing what I enjoy. Sometimes i will feel like running, sometimes chinups or pushups at the park, and it helps to have a dog to walk too

One big thing that will help and helped me is diet, switching over to mainly raw foods and quality poison ( fluoride ) free water. check out Markus Rothkranz for great info on this

Overall its all based on energy, and positive and negative energy seems to work on momentum, so start taking positive steps slowly and buildup that momentum towards the positive

Ultimately I agree with some posters depression is a signal of an underlying issue we need to deal with, and for myself I sometimes use ritualistic herbs like the green to perform a cleansing self analysis

Agreed again sunbathing is very powerful and combined with meditation is almost unbeatable in destroying depression and boosting health

If all in all the great ideas in this thread don't help, do yourself a huge favor, buy a van and take the kids out to a natural location for a break. It will do absolute wonders to revitalize your soul and your children's, because we are not meant to live in satan's system of babylon and death!

Ultimately I think the explosion of depression is due to this underlying cause, as we reject the creator's miracles of natural beauty and choose the system of death and control each day, similar to the story of Genesis. We must discard the fruit of the tree of 'knowledge of good and evil' ( Technology! ) and start to appreciate our maker's perfect gifts of eden ( nature ). The garden of eden is still there we just need to choose it
edit on 13-9-2012 by Atione because: missing bits

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Ummm......Hows your vitamin D level, My doctor told me that I was very low in vitamin D and that I should take a supplement. (I dont drink milk, lactose intolerant) She also stated that low levels of vitamin D cause depression. Maybe you should see a Doctor and get a checkup, have the lab run a panal. You might also try meditation.....non-focused void meditation.....or kundalini yoga, (meditation in motion). Remember what Buddha stated, "it's all about suffering", but the union of Shiva and Shakti is one hell of a blissful way to suffer.

YouSir

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I kicked my depression... about 2/3 years ago now. Completely stopped taking any medication because it was making me worse. I have Bipolar and moderate depressive episodes, stupid doctors put me on Prozac which kicked my mania through the roof to the point that I tried taking an over dose because I felt so out of control, I considered putting myself into a psych ward because I just felt nutty. I couldn't say or do anything without crying, I didn't leave the house for weeks at a time.
In the end I just thought, "what the hell am I doing?" And stopped taking everything. It took a while to begin to normal out after that, but once I joined a gym, I found that all the issues I had, all the things that would have got to me before, nothing mattered any more. It was like my mental slate got wiped completely clean. All the cracks and bumps in my surface had been smoothed away, and I'm a completely new person.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Exercise, definitely, definitely EXERCISE!! (I didn't see you mention exercise in your post, but I might have missed it).

Anyway, to anyone suffering from depression I would recommend exercise with all my heart.
It is said that exercise is as effective at combating depression as medication. Plus you don't get any negative side effects that come with taking medication.

What exercises specifically?

Mainly weight training. This should take up most of your exercise time. It is just totally unparalleled when it comes to mood boosting impact. It is truly remarkable. Don't think that weight training means that you will bulk up more than you want to, that is only the case if you train for that particular goal.

Secondly, Yoga. I also love yoga. It makes you feel fantastic; rejuvenated physically, and mentally and spiritually peaceful. It's awesome. It makes you feel totally in the zone!!

Finally, cario based work (swimming/ jogging etc). Do some of this, but concentrate on the other two more, they are far superior.

I'd say do 30-40 mins of weights four times a week. Make sure you get a proper work out plan though.
Yoga: I'd say do it every single day, once or twice. 10-30 minutes a session. Great thing about yoga is you don't need ANY equipment and you can just read how to do it online or watch videos. Try doing some in the morning to get you in the zone for the day ahead!

I'd be surprised as heck if these didn't have a significantly positive impact upon your state of mind.
If you got any questions, feel free to ask!

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

There are two sides to this, a physical and a spiritual one.

Make absolutely sure that you do everything you can on the physical side first, especially if the depression seems completely unrelated to what is going on in your life. Paleo diet and excercise is important. But (much) more can be done. Here are the best references I have come across so far:

Step 4, especially...

See towards the end...

Green Mental Health

Side-note: Try not to OVER-exercise. This here works spectacularly well for me (12 minutes a day): PACE Express

Regarding the spiritual side: Maybe you simply DO have reason to be sad? Recognize your right to have human emotions if they are appropriate to the situation! Did you experience a loss in your life? Try to find friends to talk to. Do you feel you have failed to achieve a goal? What was it? Remember: You have failed only when YOU have decided so and given up. Stay true to your own goals.

If all of this gets you nowhere: What can cause unexplainable sadness (aside from physical lack of nutrients) would be the things that you DID to others. Our society is completely sold on the idea that you are sad because people hurt you. But you are stronger than you think, you get over these things. What you do NOT get over is your harmful deeds that you cannot forgive yourself. This is where religion and spirituality come in. Maybe your depression is only the realization that you should take your next step on your spiritual journey. Or get started with it.

Take care and good luck!

edit on 13-9-2012 by SacredLore because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I really did not want to go on medication. I was considering therapy, but I've also been on/off depressed my entire life. At the age of 5 and 6 I used to lay on the sofa unable to breathe with tears running down my face, terrified of death and infinity. This plagued me up to my teens. From my teens I suffered great stress, depression, eating disorders and self harm. From there I have been up and down in my moods.

Last week I went on medication.
For now, it's sometimes making my depression worse, it makes my anxiety attacks worse. But it will and sometimes does neutralise my emotions.

I really think you should try medication, and therapy!

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JamesMc82

I have begun the gym about a month ago, I really enjoy it. But even when I'm working out my mood can drop to the point of depression, even after the work out, this can also happen.

Exercise is not just the answer, neither is diet. Therapy is really really helpful too!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join