It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jerry 'The King' Lawler collapses at WWE ringside

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

(CNN) -- World Wrestling Entertainment announcer Jerry "The King" Lawler, a larger-than-life figure even within the flamboyant world of professional wrestling, suffered a heart attack and collapsed during a show Monday night, the show's producers announced.

Lawler, 62, was given CPR in the locker room of the arena in Montreal before being taken to a hospital, co-host Michael Cole told viewers during a break in the televised program.

Lawler was in the emergency room and breathing on his own, but "this is an extremely serious situation. This is not part of tonight's entertainment," he said. "This is a real-life situation."

Source

As a wrestling fan for nearly 20 years I wish Lawler the best in his recovery. Last night was just awful, it brought back memories of the Owen Hart incident. My thoughts and prayers are with Jerry, his friends, family and colleagues.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Excuse the ignorance, but what happened to Owen Hart? I'm not a wrestling fan.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Excuse the ignorance, but what happened to Owen Hart? I'm not a wrestling fan.

Owen Hart sadly died after making his way to the ring from the rafters. He fell from a great height and as far as I can remember hit his head on the corner of the ring and sadly passed away. On another note wrestling has improved in the safety department so fortunately incidents like this happen once in a blue moon.
edit on 11-9-2012 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I was watching RAW last night with my husband and at first I really wasn't sure if it was real because of antics in the past but when Cole stopped commentary and then came back for the second announcement it really sunk in. I'm sending good thoughts his way and hope he makes a full recovery. Very sad news indeed.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Apparently he is in a stable condition and has undergone heart surgery which is hopefully going to help him fully recover. There's a lot going around at the moment about what Jerry Lawler done before wrestling on RAW but he's always had a busy schedule and is always on the road wrestling at all sorts of events so I highly doubt his busy schedule has anything to do with the heart attack. My gut feeling is that perhaps an in-ring move on RAW may have dislodged something causing this heart attack.
edit on 11-9-2012 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
It was weird watching the match it happened- Kane and Bryan vs Prime Time Players. If he was going to have a heart attack, he is lucky to have been so close to trainers and other emts. Hope he makes a full recovery.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I've had a busy day and just read about this in the past hour.

I'm 46 and have been a fan of wrestling since I was about 10 years old. It's my embarrassing and somewhat secret guilty pleasure. But I can remember watching wrestling from Memphis, I believe with Gordon Solie announcing, and Jerry Lawler as the ultimate heel... the worlds most irritating and infuriating bad guy. He could make a person want to throw the television. And I loved him for that. I still do love him for that.

God bless and god speed Jerry... get well soon Sir. You've earned a little rest, Use it to the fullest.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I love Lawler, one of the best smack talkers he always made me smile with his ringside commentary. I hope he makes a full recovery.

new topics

top topics

join