It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pat Robertson Wife Beating Advice

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by blah yada

I just saw the video on a YouTube app. Pat was clearly joking and poking fun at Islam, not spousal abuse. He was mocking Islam.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by kurthall

I hope you're not referring to me as a fool, I don't watch TV unless it's a sports game.

Huh? No I was was talking about Pat Robertson being a fool
Not you.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

I just saw the video on a YouTube app. Pat was clearly joking and poking fun at Islam, not spousal abuse. He was mocking Islam.

Look I don't find "making fun" of abuse a very nice way of getting a point across. I grew up in an abusive home. It is not something to "joke" about no matter what the context if you are a preacher or pastor. Someone speaking to the masses should have respect period!

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I disagree. The first thing out of his (Pat Robertson) mouth was "Become a Muslim so you can beat her." When his co-host balked he said "He's got to stand up to her, and he can't let her get away with this stuff, I don't think we condone wife beating these days, but somethings got to be done. What do ya do? You can't divorce her, according to scripture, so I say MOVE TO SAUDI ARABIA!"

This has very little to do with Islam, if at all. It's all about Pat's position that mouthy, unruly women need a beating. It was his first reaction. His second reaction was a lament that it's not PC anymore, so the man should move to a place where it is.

His moral high ground is a low road, filled with Old Testament philosophy of the ownership and control of women, and a time when women knew their place.

edit on 11-9-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Yeah, I'm not buying that he was joking. He said to beat her MULTIPLE times in the interview.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by PvtHudson
Another great example of ATS defending Islam, even when it means defending the beating of women. Pat wasn't ADVOCATING the beating of woman, he was making a point of the evils of Islam.

ATS liberals love them some Islam.

Where was anyone defending Islam in this thread?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
It only shows you how the Evangelical who preach the Old Testament with the new and only take out what is good for them. because in the Old Testament says that you are allowed to beat your wife or children if they disobey the head of the house meaning the man of the house just like the Muslims do. Afterall the Muslims follow the old book to a great extend. What I am saying is that the Evangelics are not doing what the testament says you (man) have to do to keep order in the house. You either follow the old and new bible or you do not. No taking what is only good for your. That is called hypocritical thinking. So follow it all or not

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

Yeah, I'm not buying that he was joking. He said to beat her MULTIPLE times in the interview.

Even the co-host was laughing. It was just a joke. Peter Griffin can joke about beating the crap out of women and Seth McFarlane can do a spoof about The Honeymooners where he knocks his wife out cold but jokes about Islam are not tolerated? Seriously?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by kurthall

reply to post by kurthall

I hope you're not referring to me as a fool, I don't watch TV unless it's a sports game.

Huh? No I was was talking about Pat Robertson being a fool
Not you.

I see, cool.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by kurthall

Look I don't find "making fun" of abuse a very nice way of getting a point across. I grew up in an abusive home. It is not something to "joke" about no matter what the context if you are a preacher or pastor. Someone speaking to the masses should have respect period!

Do you boycott the Family Guy also? There are numerous jokes about beating women in the different seasons of that show.

link   

I laughed at it too because it was so ridiculous. That has absolutely nothing to do whether Pat Robertson really meant it or not.

I didn't see it as a joke on Islam, I saw it as a commentary about beating on women by a living fossil.

And Seth Mcfarlane is a comedian who isn't known for their backwards stances on things like Pat Roberson is. Fail comparison.
edit on 11-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

link   
Why did this turn into a debate about religion?

Has nobody really taken the time to understand we have a male here who is suffering from domestic violence?

Does anybody really care about that, or is it not serious enough? If this man even so much as grabbed his wife's fist when she struck him, or deflected a punch rather than cowering in fear he would be ARRESTED! This is a very serious issue! This man may have been suffering continued mental and physical abuse, and no one, not even this forum or the legal system will care.

By the way, everyone say hello to my ex who continues to stalk me making comments about domestic violence on this forum. Thinking about changing my username.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Are you kidding? First of all watch the unedited clip, it's on YouTube. Secondly, from the onset both he and the female co-host are laughing. It's just a joke. Perhaps it's of poor taste, but he wasn't serious.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I laughed at it too because it was so ridiculous. That has absolutely nothing to do whether Pat Robertson really meant it or not.

Of course he didn't. It's clear from the onset that him and the co-host were jesting. Like I said, perhaps it's a poor taste joke, but it's clear he was just making a funny.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

I didn't see it as a joke on Islam, I saw it as a commentary about beating on women by a living fossil.

And Seth Mcfarlane is a comedian who isn't known for their backwards stances on things like Pat Roberson is. Fail comparison.

Really? It's cool to joke about spousal abuse if you are a comedian but not okay if you don't get paid to be funny?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Really? So, you're a homophobe like he is? In today's world, that's even more backward than making "One of these days, Alice, one of these days!" jokes.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Really? It's cool to joke about spousal abuse if you are a comedian but not okay if you don't get paid to be funny?

Uhhh Pat Robertson wasn't joking... that's the whole point

I'll accept that the Saudi Arabia part was a joke, the rest wasn't. He starts to answer the question seriously and says;

"This mans gotta stand up to her, he can't let her get away with this stuff. I don't think we condone wife beating these days but somethings gotta be done"

Then keeps going on about how she should submit to authority aka her husband...because men are above women. They aren't equals, you didn't know?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

It was a joke from the onset. Even his FEMALE co-host was laughing. The only thing you can argue is that the joke was insensitive and of poor taste, but if you don't say the same for the Family Guy joking about it multiple times that's hypocritical. That cartoon actually visually portrays it. I think the real issue here is Pat is a Christian and this is a subtle attempt to condemn him because of his faith. If anyone else makes a joke about it I guarantee you would never have made this thread.

edit on 11-9-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Again you're trying to compare a comedy cartoon to reality. It's like getting offended over Cartman on Southpark...does the creator really hate jews when they're jewish themselves?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

No, he started answering the question seriously after he said the Saudi thing. His answer to the question was not a joke.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join