It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Beginner Python Sites available?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Trying to find a site for Python for dummies.

I have to make this program that calls an integer 0-7, find the Input, average and total.

And I am like totally lost.

I did fine on the first assignment but he threw a curve ball at me.

Now I'm scratching my head and I have to figure this out by Friday. "bangs head"

Thanks

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Might not the most reputable source but here ya go:

Python for dummies

Fourth on the list is an excellent PDF copy of the original python for dummies.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Are you in college?

If so, shouldn't you have a text book lol??

I know they're expensive but you need the book for the class.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Personally, I don't have a mind that takes to learning programming easily, so it was a chore for me. But I learned C++ at the same time that I learned Python, which probably made it much harder. I still am not that proficient at either of them. I can program in about 4 languages, Ruby and Perl being the other two, but as I said, I can't make programs that are too sophisticated. Oh, that doesn't include html and _javascript though, which were easy for me.

Anyway, to your question. This program seems like it would be pretty easy, but I know what trying to grasp a concept can be like, so I recommend something like...um, I'm looking...Try this: Python Tutorial

That will take you past the "install python" section, and straight to the opening programming lesson. The index on the left will allow you to jump ahead if you already know about variables and whatnot. What I recommend doing, which can be hard if you don't understand the concept of what you are doing, is just getting a cheat sheet for the language, and working off of it.

It just shows how to use the different features, as well as the correct syntax. You still have to know how the program should work and everything though. If that doesn't help, I will try to find something else, or maybe we could just help you out with the problem directly.

ETA:

If you do want direct help, can you explain what you have to write a little bit better? I'm not grasping exactly what the program is supposed to do. Is it supposed to get user input? Are we just averaging all the numbers 0-7? I'm lost, lol.
edit on 9/10/12 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/10/12 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

Yes, I bought the textbook.

Like I haven't read it.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

This she is what you are looking for...

Learn Python The Hard Way

You might also try Khan Academy their tutorials use Python.

edit on 11-9-2012 by Xoanon because: .

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
before trying to code it work out what the program has to do as the language itself is not important at the moment but try writing the problem down on paper as tasks as this is a problem solving exercise so how would you do the thing in real life if you had someone saying numbers to you

so :-
1. set count,grand total to zero
2. enter number
3. is it 8 or 9? if so goto 8
4. add 1 to count
5. add number to grand total
6. produce average
7 go back to 2
8. print the results on the screen
9. end program

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
i got bored and decided to look up python and it took me 10-15 mins to knock up something basic
(including installing the language/setting up a samba share on the lappy) but the tabs seem to have gone missing when viewed onscreen

count = 0
total = 0
print "enter number between 0 & 7 or 8 or above to finish"
number = int(raw_input("Enter a number: "))

while (number < 8):
count = count + 1
total = total + number
number = int(raw_input("Enter a number: "))

if (count == 0):
print "nothing to do"
else:
average = total / count
print "total = ",total
print "count = ",count
print "average = ",average
edit on 11-9-2012 by Maxatoria because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
yeah, but I think what he wants us to do is have the program take 3 numbers from the 0-7 and put in a tab pyramid form.

So, if you choose 3, the output would be.

3 4

3 4 5

3 4

That's what is confusing me.

Thanks max.

Then do input, total and average.

I think he wants the numbers that you choose to present the input, total, average.

I have the code for input, total, average. I'm just trying to figure out how I would call the input number in 3 consecutive integers, then have it all combine after being displayed.

For a beginner class, it sure doesn't seem beginner.

edit on 11-9-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
sounds like its a test on loops

loop around x times getting the numbers, then using loops display the pyramid of numbers and finally some basic maths

just start to break the problem into its basic parts then break each part down into smaller parts until you have completed it

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Here is a great site to learn most programming languages on a basic - intermediate level.

codeacademy.com

They have python, _javascript, jquery, html/css, and other's that are coming soon (aka ruby). I highly recommend this site if you are a developer. Great way to brush up on skills in a fun way!

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

top topics

join