It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep Paralysis: Can it have a demonic aspect to it?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

I didn't miss the point of your response at all. We understand what causes sleep paralysis, and why it happens. So what you believe is irrelevant. For example, if you believed that God was bowling to cause thunder, it wouldn't matter, because we know that's not what causes thunder. The same applies here.

Now, if we don't scientifically understand why something occurs, a spiritual or supernatural explanation can definitely be presented. This is not one of those times though. The scents and sounds, the locking up of joints, the visuals, and sensations, we understand them all to be hallucinations due to the brain's chemical reactions during your body's paralysis.

So yes, I am well aware that your belief was what you espoused. I am also aware that you said anyone who thought otherwise, had not experienced enough sleep paralysis. Which paints you as someone who does not think science understands it. Here's your quotes:

Those who deny the possible demonic aspect of sleep paralysis haven't really experienced it much

Now, I had sleep paralysis for eight years. Right during my high school and college years even. I experienced it plenty, and got to observe the way it effected me during my formative years. Your opinion, like your belief, should both be put aside when the science of a thing is understood.

Your ad-hominem doesn't bother me either. I know that people fall back on insults of the character when they're run out of arguments to support their position. But, by all means, carry on insulting me.

As for consciousness and chemical reactions. They're not reflections. Consciousness is the product of chemical reactions. When the chemical reactions stop occurring, consciousness goes away (see any case of anesthesia).

However, it does not work in the opposing direction. When you lose consciousness from fainting, going to sleep, or some kind of knock on the head, your brain does not stop causing chemical reactions. Some studies actually seem to think it is more active when you're naturally unconscious.

Consciousness is clearly a product of the chemical reactions occurring in the brain, not the other way around.

I do apologize if my tone comes off harsh, but I believe the world is harsh. And that we do not grow as people if we soften everything we encounter. You're welcome to your beliefs, I'd love to hear them. But when we understand something, your beliefs, and mine, have no place in the discussion.

For the record, I believe in spiritual things too.

~ Wandering Scribe

edit on 11/9/12 by Wandering Scribe because: fleshed out some concepts

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Shax35

Just click right here.

At the top of the page where it says "NEW THREAD" in white and green lettering, click there. You'll be taken to a new window where you can write your introduction to ATS. From there you can even explain your psychic powers, since the introduction forum says to talk about why you joined ATS.

Lots of people visit the new members forum to welcome people to ATS, you'll get plenty of chances there to try your predictions on a whole bunch of members.

Good luck!

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Picollo30

i had the same feeling scared but more hopelessness! its happened to me twice, too once i was fighting a dark entity. i made a thread about it but didnt want to share what i felt was an evil connection to my dream and the paralysis.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

Funny that you mention anesthesiologists. I ask them a whole bunch of questions every time I've ever had a surgery. And I've had A LOT! I was thinking of going into medicine at the time and was studying a lot of anatomy and physiology and microbiology classes. I asked one, "What does anesthesia do chemically or neurologically that makes us unaware and unable to feel? Essentially, it's near death; a vegetative state. So, how does this chemical work?"

Guess what answer I heard? "Actually, we don't know the how's and why's. We know that general anesthesia works and that's about all we know."

Now, maybe it was just this one guy who didn't know. And granted, this was several years ago when I was interested in medicine.

My point is..actually, I lost the desire to have a point with this discussion. If you think scientific explanation is the be-all, end-all--that's your choice.

I still 'believe' that I am not a bundle of chemical reactions and nothing more. If you prefer that explanation, fine. But don't tell me that my belief is irrelevant just because you do not share it--or share my outlook. That kind of attitude is the misuse of science.

Now, as for the OP. You asked a question, I gave you my answer and opinion. An ATS pundit dismissed it for you so you can just feel free to skip over my posts.

edit on 11-9-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Texan123

Hello Texan,

It works let me tell you. It will take you a very long time, like a bit of practice each time to first learn how to turn the fear into anger. That is the hard part. From then on you will learn to use that anger to open your eyes, move slowly and even speak.

Since says this and that about everything, but what it says about SP is that they truly don't have a flying clue and that they only have theories about why it happens. That what wiki says any way.

I can tell you don't have bad entities ( or at least the are held at bay kind of by good ones) during your SP or anger to fear would not even cross your mind. like you i have been getting SP since I was a child and never have had some of the horrible things like what some of the posters post about has happens. Crazy out of this world yes but nothing gnawing on my head or even saying scary things to me.

I will warn you that once you learn to use anger many SP episodes will be different and you will feel more in control, but there are some thing that have a job to do and will kick your but hands down to get it done. So don't get a big head and use the anger wisely against things you know are not there for your good. Don't call em out or want SP to happen so you can show them what you got.

The Rat.
edit on 11-9-2012 by TucoTheRat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
demonic as in relatively negative/dark entity, energy, vibration?

sure, im convinced already as over the years awakening sleep paralysis for me has had 2 constants:

1- dark cloaked entity with "black hole" face standing/floating over me, making threats as i lie helpless
2- only when i manage to say prayers does the entity go away. staying quiet and waiting for it to pass did not work and the eventually i would break down and have to start praying and as soon as i do it reliably vanishes and releases its hold.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812
reply to post by winofiend

HAHA!

You know, to anyone who has never experienced SP with visual hallucinations, they will think you are a fruity nut cake for saying that.

Those who have seen something like it will know what you are describing to be within the realm of truth, in the context of SP.

Some people believe the things are real, as in material and tangible. I do not believe that. I mean, they are obviously 100% real, but I am undecided on whether they arrive fromany source outside of our own minds.

I can't deny it, because I had never ever seen anything similar to the Demon in my SP experience, yet it was right there in the room with me. I suppose it could be my subconcious meshing things together to produce the Demon's appearance, but I can not prove that either.

What I find significantly strange about the appearance of these Demons is the fact that people around the world, who have never met and are seperated by years time and space, describe witnessing incredibly similar Demons within an SP experience.

How could I see a crazy looking Demon in my SP experience and later find out that someone in 1690 Europe described an almost identical creature in their SP?

Strange!

I find this very interesting too!

Another thing you may notice is that there are different groups of people that see these different entities.

I ha read and heard about the little daemon creature and the ugly old lady and never saw them in all the tie I had gotten SP, glad of it too BTW. One night I saw a trench coat entity with a Dick Tracy hat only to later read on the internet that many people who get SP see this very same entity.

How does science explain that? Different groups of people seeing the same kinds of entities!

The Rat.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Not demons, the sensations you feel are manifestations of your subconscious fears.

Back in the day I did deep meditation in sensory deprivation tanks & for a long while i was unable to reach certain states due to these manifestations.
Every time I reached a certain level of depth I would unconsciously image a figure standing over me with a very large battle axe ready to cleave me in two.

At first it brought me up every time because the sensation both visual & visceral were so real even though I knew on a conscious level that there was no one there.
Took a lot of will to overcome that barrier.

Now on the sleep thing for me I hit that state without going to sleep, but that moment when all sensation leaves you & you're not quite sure if you're alive or dead is a rush.
If you can master your fears you should explore this further, it's a trip worth taking.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by aethertek

Who says that what makes a demon a demon is that it is not a metaphor? (wow, confusing sentence!)

A personification of our fears sounds like a demon to me.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

I bit disjointed but let me try...your mind playing tricks on you is not the same thing as an actual physical presence, a separate being bent on your destruction.

Quite frankly I see your statement of equivocation as dissembling since the entire premise of the Op & your statements were about "Real Demons" not just the euphemism of personal demons.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   

give this post a star
posted on 29-8-2012 @ 04:06 PM this post
would there be a connection with the thing i was fighting with. i really couldn't see it but it was dark with undefined lines and it was evil the feeling was hopelessness that's all i can describe about it??
and would ast.pro.be a parallel reality? would that explain the awake consciousness i had.could i have actually been awake but in a different reality? it seems like i wasn't asleep long enough to get to that stage of sleep to dream that lucid.i remember when i turned the light on the first time i saw my dog on the bed looking at me the detail and clarity of this part of the dream was amazingly real but it seemed to have a hollow feel like void of something.very strange.thanks for the replies and it really is amazing what our brains are capable of.what is really reality you know.lol

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I guess I just don't know the difference between real demons and imagined ones. What would make it real? Anyway, I seem to be so clueless on this thread. I give up.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Picollo30
i ask this because both times i had sp the symptoms were the same, couldn't speak, couldnt move not even a finger only my eyes, i was conscious i'm sure of it. i was laying on my stomach and i felt something jumping on my back, something unknown and evil that caused me great fear and a feeling of hopelessness

i had to pray to god mentally (because i couldn't speak or scream) and the thing whatever it was left me alone. There was an evil presence in the room with me of that im certain. It wasn't hypnagogic hallucinations.
edit on 10-9-2012 by Picollo30 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-9-2012 by Picollo30 because: (no reason given)

Yes, you are correct. Only the "experts" who haven't experianced it themselves will tell you otherwise. Joe Jordan has a great website that you can visit. It garuntees stopping sleep paralysis, and the method it uses proves in no uncertain terms that it is in fact demonic in nature.

www.stopsleepparalysis.org

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
I guess I just don't know the difference between real demons and imagined ones. What would make it real? Anyway, I seem to be so clueless on this thread. I give up.

Don't let them get to you Budda.

we each have to see things he way we see things, some people need safety bubbles and science is their night light.

I think in a way we are ll really clueless to what these things are and do and why they are allowed to do them. But some see things we don't understand and some need a scientific truth to go to sleep at night.

It's all good.

The Rat.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
It was my understanding that sleep paralysis occurs because the etheric body has not had enough time to "re-adjust" to the physical body (has to "re-anchor" itself in). This could occur if you snap out of a dream before your etheric body has time to realize that you're about to awoken.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

I had lot of sleep paralysis during my school year.. i can for a fact say it has 50% have to do with stress, among other mental abnormalities.

Abnormal sleep patterns can cause this, lack of sleep for long and all of sudden a quick nap can cause this.

Its probably not god... im an atheist... i didn't pray to anything.. al you had to do was move your fingers and toes constantly and you will wake up within "10 sec" (time is unknown in that dreamworld lol).

My culprit is usually a dark midget like figure sitting on my back(i usually sleep face down), its hard to figure out his feature, all i see is his outline.

Its chemical, like someone mentioned.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I think that lucid dreams and OBE's attract spirits (good and bad) think about it, Our bodies are vessel's and our mind controls the machine.
If our Mind wonders off then what can fill the machine/vessel.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

As far as i understand its the work of the Pinael gland. U go to sleep - Pinael gland releases '___' - making u dream - sometimes ure brains wakes before your body - therefore Sleep Paralysis - U still have '___' released in your body therefore u experience sounds / hallucinations / presences. My personal theory about why we experience bad creatures is as following: We wake, cant move, panic sensation, we get scared, we project scary stuff.
Basically its controllable, this is how u get OBE experiences, or atleast in a very similiar state.
Just dont fear, smile and tell yourself ure not gonna bother wasting your attention on any weird happenings.
U can turn the experience into something nice!

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Sleep Paralysis can have a demonic aspect to it. It-like many other things-is not always bad though.

I believe in spirituality but I do not believe in religion as it is usually practiced on this planet. Individual sovereignty is good.

Demons and aliens both exist and many are one in the same. What is a god but that which has a higher power than one's self? Vibrations. We do not see sound waves but we know they are there. Different frequencies = different dimensions. Angel-demon-and god are largely man-given names to higher entities. Obviously angel refers to one more inclined to good and demon to one more inclined to evil. It is all gray still since this thing called "free will" comes into play.

So angels-demons-gods-aliens...Many of them are quite active in the other dimensional layers of Earth and they might materialize from time to time. Materialization would be the lowering of their vibrational frequencies.

Human perception is based largely on our own personal knowledge and awareness. Question everything because when you learn more things really start showing that they are not near as they seem.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join