It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Judge Who Beat Daughter Gets His Job Back, Paid Throughout Suspension

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by maria_stardust
It boggles the mind that a domestic abuser would be allowed back on the bench presiding over family law cases.

Unbelievable. This wasn't a case of adultry, alcoholism, substance abuse or even a traffic accident. This was a clear cut case of child abuse, and it is appalling that he -- an obvious criminal -- is returning as a judge.

Returning as a judge who presides over child custody, child abuse, and family violence. Which means that he will be putting people in jail for the very same crime that he committed.

Now that's twisted.

Peace

Instead I am afraid if a child dares report abuse at school or to some authority and it ends up in his court, it will be dismissed!
edit on 9-9-2012 by Char-Lee because: sp

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by jude11

Dear jude11,

I really agree with you.

I understand what you're getting at but this is so wrong. Even if the statute ran out, he's guilty and everyone knows it. There is no way that he should have no punishment at all. And then to have his job back after a nice long paid vacation?

So wrong on so many levels.
Absolutely. Perhaps with the advent of our new recording technology (I mean, we didn't have it 50 years ago.) we have to look at rewriting our laws and principles of justice. I'd like to hope someone is leading a group on that now. (I think the committee should have bumped the punishment up to a public reprimand.)

And, you're right that the government finds a way around things. That gold coin case wasn't a statute of limitation case, though. But, it is awfully tough to root for the Feds nowadays.

With respect,
Charles1952

It just represents the double standard in all things. Like if the government overcharged you on taxes or anything, they don't pay interest. if you underpaid, they charge interest.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by stonebutterfly
The mother of the girl is now filing grievances, sways the local news here in TX. I think this guys gonna get his one way or another. Many people here are upset and don't want the guy on the bench.

The Mother did not stand between him and the girl. If he had killed her would Mom have stood there and watched. She seemed scared of him herself i think but that does not change her responsibility.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Yes and I think it's sad a mother just watched. It happens many times and often ends when the child dies. it's sad situation for the children that had to live with this man.
edit on 9-9-2012 by stonebutterfly because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Except when it benefits the Govt. of course. No statute of limitations here:

Feds Seize Gold Coins Worth $80 Mln From Pennsylvania Family

But that's not a child we're talking about is it? It's money and that takes precedence.

I understand what you're getting at but this is so wrong. Even if the statute ran out, he's guilty and everyone knows it. There is no way that he should have no punishment at all. And then to have his job back after a nice long paid vacation?

So wrong on so many levels.

Peace

Just like the newest ruling from government that the people involved in torture will not be prosecuted. Just like nobody involved in drug/gun running under Fast-n-Furious will be prosecuted. Just like .....

Honestly, I don't know how prosecutors and judges can totally ruin the lives of the common (wo)man for victim-less crimes while serving-and-protecting a "government" that can no longer claim legitimacy. At what point will the disconnect become so obvious that our politicized judiciary refuses to carry on the charade? How many Americans have to be victimized?

It is wrong on so many levels. Our judiciary is irretrievably broken.

edit on 9-9-2012 by jcarpenter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

it's quite obvius that his Dishonor and pals were
waiting for people to forget and then it's business as usual

this matter should not be allowed to rest
hopefully it wont
and every time he sits on a case of domestic violence or family related matters
the accused stands up and demands he recuse himself

this sorta reminds me of the "crazy conspiracy theories" concerning
satanic-pedophiles in government positions
and that case where a judge was caught sending juveniles to private prisons for cash,
what kind of pull does this scum have that for less US senators have been expelled?
and what other kinds of abuse could he be involved in?

instead of protests, methinks chipping in and hiring a high power PI
to find out might be a better idea

S&F
edit on 9-9-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

This girl could of been out partying, drinking, doing drugs...and he finds fault with a video game.

It is exactly the same crap my parents would have done over lesser things....I get angry seeing this crap because I know this girl is having her head chewed off daily about her fathers career.

Its never about what THEY do, its about what YOU do...and those type of parents hate being exposed...I'm sure they have their whole family convinced its not the whole story, shes a ungrateful brat, and if they were there they would do the same.

I'm speculating, but having been through it, and knowing many others who have....these type excuses seem universal..and it isn't this childs first go around with a belt....he just got caught this time..no one gets up thinking they are going to decide to whoop their kid with a belt after so many years of never doing it.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Some moms are the perpetrators.....If the mother allows it she probably has been beat too, either as a kid or adult so she is desenitized.

If you are used to it, you don't see how bad it truly is....the moms lack of response shows me this probably occurs regularly.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Weird how something like this is considered child abuse now and was considered an acceptable form of punishment when I was her age. Schools also administered corporal punishment, usually with a large wooden paddle with holes drilled in it to help it fly faster.

Of course, I don't spank daughters but I can also attest first hand that other forms of punishment just aren't as effective. My father and I weren't close but it wasn't because of his use of a belt on occasion and regardless I had a level of respect with both my parents my own kids don't approach, unfortunately. We're a lot closer but I'd hope it has more to do with our relationship as a whole than the fact I don't beat them.

When I was a kid I would have definitely agreed it was abuse. As an adult looking back I'm just not really sure. I didn't end up with permanent scars and the times I was punished that way were for very severe misbehavior. At the same time there were incidents where I really screwed up, what I would call the pinnacle of my teenage delinquency and the result was a very serious discussion and no beating. So, I have to admit the belt wasn't used excessively or in sync with the level of anger my Dad was feeling. It's kind of hard to call what I would consider to be an even hand "abuse".

I don't think this will have any affect on his re-election and if it does the effect will probably be beneficial. Quite a few parents will probably support him. Quite a few people in general would agree there are kids who probably need a punishment that severe once in a while and a Father around to give it. If it would prevent a kid from turning into a criminal adult when all other efforts have failed society might want to consider it. Maybe if we had acceptable guidelines on why and how?

I think he should have stepped away until he could deal with the situation without being angry and "I didn't get my lick in" condemns his motives. The daughter should be able to admit that being so defiant in that situation was probably not the best tactic, also. This is Arkansas though and having spent time there for work in the past I'm not surprised at any of this.
edit on 10-9-2012 by ecoparity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by kat2684

Some moms are the perpetrators.....If the mother allows it she probably has been beat too, either as a kid or adult so she is desenitized.

If you are used to it, you don't see how bad it truly is....the moms lack of response shows me this probably occurs regularly.

No offense but you've been taken in by really horrible pop psychology. People who are abused are not more likely to abuse or allow abuse. Children of alcoholics are not more likely to drink, they are actually less likely.

There's a ton of really bad "facts" floating around out there.

The Mom "did" step in and restrain the angry Dad, especially at the end. She also limited herself to one strike which shows she wasn't hitting her daughter because she was angry (unlike Dad).

We really don't have the data to determine if this is a regular thing.

These are parents who feel using a belt is a valid form of punishment. Maybe they tried grounding, removal of privileges / possessions, etc and the kid remained defiant?

Society might call it abuse right now but at least they care about what their daughter does. I doubt she's allowed to drink and stay out all night with boys if she's getting a belt over a computer game. Unless Mom and Dad are extremely angry people it's possible the actions on the video are a result of frustration with a teen age daughter who refuses to obey her parents even on minor issues.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ecoparity

Belts are considered abuse today, I never thought it was so bad as a kid either...but being a parent there is nothing my kids could do to make me beat them the way I got it.

The belts are unessecary and not only used for discipline.....just for bully parents to vent frustration and assert power. I don't think its right to beat up 2 year olds, or have your kids walk around with long sleeves in summer to hide bruises and welt marks.....I guess the proper use of the belt back then was across the legs or backside....not swinging indiscriminately across all parts of the body.

I don't think a tap on the back side is bad, or maybe a smack in the mouth as they get older....but there are better ways to handle it.
edit on 10-9-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

As for the child, of course we don't have the facts....but if she is getting beat this bad over a video game I'd hate to see what she get for doing something truly bad...there has to be a line drawn on what is worth beating your kid for and whats not.

I know I got it for spilling a drink, being afraid of the dark, and I remember belt whippings since I was a toddler....if dad is whipping her out of frustration, that is wrong too. Some kids need a butt whipping now and then...but not for just anything, if they use the belt consistantly the child would become immune to it.
edit on 10-9-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ecoparity

That's not true at all, your psychology is wrong.

Abusive behavior. Abusive parents often have experienced abuse during their own childhoods. It is estimated approximately one-third of abused and neglected children will eventually victimize their own children (Prevent Child Abuse New York, 2003).

Social difficulties. Children who experience rejection or neglect are more likely to develop antisocial traits as they grow up. Parental neglect is also associated with borderline personality disorders and violent behavior (Schore, 2003).

www.childwelfare.gov...

People who were sexually abused in childhood often engage in abusive relationships as adults, either being repeatedly victimized, or becoming abusers themselves

addictions.about.com...

APA: Abused as Kids, Women More Likely to Abuse Partners

HONOLULU -- Among adults who were victims of child abuse, women in couples are more likely than men to behave aggressively toward their partners, and also to be victims in the relationship, a researcher said here.

www.medpagetoday.com...

And alcoholism seems to have a genetic component, so yeah alcoholic kids are at high risk. It also depends on the environment they were raised in.

Children of alcoholics are two to four times more likely than other children to become addicted to alcohol themselves.

aacap.org...

pubs.niaaa.nih.gov...

edit on 10-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
My mom was watching Dr.Phil and this girl was on it. She's an adult now and said her father regularly abused her from what I remember.

Hillary is now 23 and remembers the incident vividly. “The punishments that I experienced by my father went from being bad to what was severe. I became a teenager, and it started getting worse,” she says. “One evening, I could tell things were beginning to get bad, so I set my camera up so that nobody could see that it was running, and I was able to capture this horrifying scene. It’s my own father in this video doing such a horrible act.

“There were other beatings that were worse, but this one left the most marks and bruises. I was bruised from my ankles all the way up to my arms. And I told my dad, ‘I’m bruised all over. It hurts to walk.’ His response was just one word, and that word was: ‘Good.’”

“The video was taped when I was about 16, and it was seven years until I finally snapped and decided to release it. When I told my father that I had the video, apparently he didn’t think anything of it, because in his mind, he was still infallible. He brushed it off. He dared me to post it. He said, ‘Do that if you think it’ll make you feel better.’

drphil.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

I'm wondering to what degree certain behaviors are genetic, and what are enviromental.

Basically, how much generational abuse comes from a mentally ill family member and stems out across generations as normal behavior...because of enviromental factors.

For example, if my ggrandma was schizophrenic and raised her children with irrational fears, and those fears stemmed down to ggrand children..and so on...it would not make the children ill, but their sense of normalcy is askewed....this could apply to abusers.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Brownsville is *the* most corrupt place I ever had the misfortune of setting foot in. It is a horror show.

Second line.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
this is terrible sickness

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Returning as a judge who presides over child custody, child abuse, and family violence. Which means that he will be putting people in jail for the very same crime that he committed.

I think its more likely he will be letting serious child abusers back to the folds of the family, where they can continue beating their children into submission, like he thinks "good parents" should do.

That is far worse than the hypocrisy of putting them behind bars.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

You need to re-read your own sources.

It is ESTIMATED that 1/3 - estimated as in wild guess / no data and even then 1/3 is hardly a majority.

It's a fact that serial killers and other psychopaths have a higher than average history of parental neglect / abuse, it IS NOT a fact that people abused as children grow up to be abusers or become serial killers, for example. Less than 1 percent of the population in the US as a statistical example = not enough data to conclude.

The same term is used for both that and your example of alcoholism "likely".

Unfortunately the public reads statements like these and drive them right off the road into bad conclusions -

That estimates = statistics
That being "Likely" = Will occur

Sorry, but you're providing a prime example of the kind of bad "facts" I mentioned.

The real fact is that psychology has no clue about these issues. They don't get to analyze everyone nor even a majority of their study group. Also, problems such as violent / abusive behaviors and addictions can never be traced to a single root cause. Everyone is different and it takes a different combination of life experiences, emotional states, recovery capability and so many other factors it's impossible to quantify into a formula that applies to everyone let alone a percentage of a given population large enough to prove itself. Some children disciplined via corporal punishment grow up with no negative results, some feel they were abused horribly - it's a matter of individual experience.

These kinds of generalizations are like me saying "you drive a car, therefore you will probably die young".
X number of people die in car accidents each year, a higher number than who die from quite a few other elective activities. So, by my estimate it is likely you will die in a car crash.

In reality, the number of vehicle deaths vs. the number of people driving is a smaller number than people realize when they see the large numbers given of occurrences. Then you have infinite variables that affect the outcome - where, when, how you drive, what you drive, what you do while you drive, what you did before you drove combined with all that and more for the other car. Singe car accident? What you hit, what it's made of, how fast, what shape was your car in, brakes hot or cold, weather, road conditions - and on and on and on.

Being spanked does not mean you will grow up to abuse. I would submit that not only would it be a small factor requiring a large number of other influences but that it doesn't even mean you will grow up to spank your children whether you consider it abuse or not.

edit on 10-9-2012 by ecoparity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
are you kidding me this guy is a judge...

SHOW SOME RESPECT

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by kat2684

I'm not sure it can be assessed on the whole. It seems to be a case by case basis. Perhaps some specific genetic variations outweigh most environmental influences, where as in other cases severe traumatic situations outweigh mostly stable genetics.

On the whole, it seems best to consider it about 50/50 until we know better.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join