It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "I hate everything, my life sucks, I'm gonna kill myself" mentality

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by IAmD1

Very thorough, thank you

I'll give everything you said a try.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX
reply to post by IAmD1

Very thorough, thank you

I'll give everything you said a try.

Thank you I am sure you will work through it. She has a good friend in you

PS. 'I'll use your advice and see what happens' is a positive affirmation when you give something a try you're halfway saying to your mind that you expect it might not work. Just do it!

edit on 9/9/2012 by IAmD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

More important than anything else; she needs to learn to LOVE herself.

Anti-depressants DO work, but the doctor might need to mix and match until he/she finds the right ones.

She needs to be on these, go to regular counseling and maybe spend some time researching or even helping others in need.

She has a roof over her head, she isn't starving, and she has family and friends who love her - You don't need much more in life to be happy, she needs to realise this ASAP

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I won't give any advice as it would surely be wrong, but this article looks like a promising source of information:

Psycology Today - Self Harm

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

You can't fix it. It's her particular chemistry.

You need to understand that you cannot help or change other people. It has to start with them and in some cases even they cannot help themselves because they are slaves to their chemistry.

What you can change is your attitude about it. Don't be judgmental.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

In my opinion by the very fact you can replace these feelings with better ones, means that you are not in fact clinically depressed. When you are clinically depressed there is nothing that can change your mood aside from drugs or gradual recovery.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Nothing you can do or say will cure someone of a chemical imbalance or a mental defect. People who are always like this have a biological problem there are natural ways to resolve it or there are drugs. But talking about it, getting hobbies whatever will not solve this...

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Thanks for the advice, guys. I appreciate it.

She does the self medicating with alcohol as well. And honestly, it's the only thing that makes her happier... because she gets silly, and laughs everything off. I don't like it, though.

I wouldn't call it self medicating.. You are getting a burst of happiness, relaxation which will most lkely follow with nothing less than what she was beforehand.

I want her to find another outlet, other than drinking.

I had a near death experience with alcohol, and I don't go anywhere near it anymore. Seeing her drink bothers me.

I kinda hate alcohol.

I agree with you. I hate alcohol and have almost also sent myself to the afterlife because of it. Alcohol is a silent killer. it may not take your life but it can be worse than a drug addiction which could lead to worse probems than she has right now.

BTW, she's a college student, and she's not in high school. Her anxiety is very serious, and she's not (at least not completely) attention seeking. I can tell her problems are genuine.

When you say anxiety, what is she anxious about? Is there any reasons or is it just her in general? Maybe she needs to try some meditation and release some of the tension somehow...

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by OpenEars123
[
Anti-depressants DO work, but the doctor might need to mix and match until he/she finds the right ones.

Not all the time. Sometimes it can lead to other health issues and worse bouts of depresson etc..

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

You are absolutely right. It has lead to psychosis.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I would have her try a whole new way of eating. I would bet she eats meats a lot and junk and fast foods and sugars stuff. Have her eat nothing but fresh fruits and vegies, no starch or sugars and most important, no meats as that is eating something with a soul not much different than our own. I went to this diet and it has made a world of difference in my life. I use to have to take tons of depression meds just to get out of bed, much less do anything. Now, I love the earth, people and nature. have her try this a few weeks and make sure see gets out into nature if at all possible. Hope she gets better......

P/S....Yes I know there are meat eaters out there that are doing just fine and I'm glad for you so I don't need to hear from you about eating meats. At this present time they do more damage to you than good with all the hormones they are shot full of... I am just trying to help this girl the best way I know of myself and your welcome to do the same.....Namaste.....

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

Actually, psychiatrists advocate daily protein intake via eggs or meat to combat depression. It has been proven to work in combination with meds like Prozac.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

I was like your friend. I started walking and one day I started running, it is so strange, running even a half mile a day would be way better then any antidepressant. it changed my whole world. I never wanted to miss a day of running as I was aware of where that would lead.

So mental and physical health all came together, it is clearly a chemistry driven thing.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Thanks for the advice, guys. I appreciate it.

She does the self medicating with alcohol as well. And honestly, it's the only thing that makes her happier... because she gets silly, and laughs everything off. I don't like it, though.

I want her to find another outlet, other than drinking.

I had a near death experience with alcohol, and I don't go anywhere near it anymore. Seeing her drink bothers me.

I kinda hate alcohol.

BTW, she's a college student, and she's not in high school. Her anxiety is very serious, and she's not (at least not completely) attention seeking. I can tell her problems are genuine.

The alcohol is a depressant and lifts only to drop...the drop gets deeper and deeper..it is a fools game and leads nowhere! I know this because it killed my father at age 42 and my brother at age 42!

Please get her to try running. Walk first add a trot a few paces and keep adding more over time..go with her...please I am 100% sure this will change her whole life!

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Having friends and family with a roof over your head isn't everything. If you aren't having a productive life that could be the source of the depression. Some people need to have a productive life living on their own terms to be happy.

And sometimes some people just like exaggerating things and melodrama.

It can be confusing to tell if someone needs serious professional help or if someone just likes melodrama.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAmD1
reply to post by IAmD1

continued from the above.

Unhappiness in my understanding is mostly a miss alignment between what we think should have happened and what actually did happen. And in reality what you think should have happened is only relevant as goalposts for how to behave in an event as it happens. They do not dictate reality. So to be happy it really is as simple as accepting what did happen, all the time, and just take care of what is necessary when it happens. We can not know what is going to happen, but if we believe we do we can subconsciously steer events in that direction. Meaning when we expect bad things we will bring the energy, mindset and posture to force it to happen jut to prove we were right. (This is mostly subconscious).

I hope this gave you some food for thought. These are just my understandings and how i myself have lived through a negative period of my life. All I can say is it worked for me and I am 99% happy since i faced reality as it is. It still takes work but not near as much as it did. Life is a perpetual process of learning to be.

Good luck and much love - there is brighter side to everything. That is the best we can do and a very happy place to be

Everything you said is true but for some people such as myself...when I was in a great place, life was full of everything I wanted and still the horrendous blackness would descend. I hate the people who say someone like myself simply was looking for attention, drama or should "snap out of it". I had an imbalance in chemistry and only the steady stream of adrenalin from running fixed it...if only I had known years before!

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

I was going to simply say this person is a "Drama Queen", But you nailed it on the head.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Do you think she wants attention?

I'm trying not to judge, but there are many children who are sheltered from the difficulties of life, they tend to fall to pieces over trivial things, and when they grow up they have difficulty and no experience overcoming obstacles.

My husbands 19 year old neice is a spoiled brat, (Im not saying your friend is) she caused a scene at the DMV when failing to get her liscense so horrific that she "couldn't bare the pain" and called a suicide hotline.

Her family as usual ran to her aide, and couldn't console her.....so they indulged her with "things" her suicidal breakdowns are frequent, fake and over silly things.

Some people love the drama, I personally don't need it.....you should call her out on it if you feel its for attention. I would love to hand my husbands neice a rope for the hell of it, she'd probably have a suicidal breakdown on making a slip knot.
edit on 9-9-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-9-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
People who think this is about attention-seeking or being a "drama queen" or being selfish do not understand depression.

Individuals come up with a lot of hare-brained explanations for depressive tendencies when all they're doing is talking out of their buttholes about something they clearly know nothing about.

Some of you should crack a book now and then.

Note I am referring to depressives, not spoiled brats.
edit on 9/9/2012 by aaaiii because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join