page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Originally posted by OpenEars123
[
Anti-depressants DO work, but the doctor might need to mix and match until he/she finds the right ones.

Not all the time. Sometimes it can lead to other health issues and worse bouts of depresson etc..

Hence why i said that the docs need to mix and match until it's right. However anti depressants won't work for 'everybody' but the minority really 'are' the minority. It also depends how good your GP is.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by aaaiii

Hey,

There are legitamently depressed people and then there are others, why is it wrong to try to distinguish the two?

Some people have lived through serious abuse, I have. I have been depressed, I used to do risky things in hopes to end it, but I had to work through it alone, because people don't understand or care. I'm still severely effected by things, and still don't talk about them, because I don't want to be a burden...or have people look at me differently.

Also I have many family members diagnosed with manic depression, including both my parents , grandfathers and cousins.

If you're suicidal its a secret pain not something you go around professing to everyone. I don't know this person, why couldn't she be seeking attention?

Not all people claiming to be depressed are, just like many seriously depressed people pretened to be ok....there is nothing wrong with with using your judgement and not be sucked into someones emotional problems when there is nothing you can do.
edit on 9-9-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by kat2684

My argument is don't minimize legitimate depression. People are hurting out there.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by aaaiii

I do agree with that completely,

I would also tell someone there is only so much help you can provide, if you feel its hurting your psyche...then maybe its time to give them space, but not cut them off completely.

I feel for depressed people, I don't feel for people who don't suffer and use a legitament illness that countless people struggle with to their advantage. That does minimize the perception of people who struggle.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

[
Anti-depressants DO work, but the doctor might need to mix and match until he/she finds the right ones.

Not all the time. Sometimes it can lead to other health issues and worse bouts of depresson etc..

Hence why i said that the docs need to mix and match until it's right. However anti depressants won't work for 'everybody' but the minority really 'are' the minority. It also depends how good your GP is.

Your right, some people can take to certain meds while others can't. But the problem is that depression may not be the only issue in this situation. the person being discussed needs to see someone and get a proper diagnosis to what is actually going on with her. For all she knows, she could have another disorder. Bipolar etc.. Depression is linked to a different variety of mental illnesses and that is the reason why it is important to get a good GP and a very good diagnosis.

I only say this because I have struggled with depression since about 2003 and only this year I was diagnosed with Bipolar1. There are so many different avenues, its just finding the right issue at hand.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Yeah

[

Your right, some people can take to certain meds while others can't. But the problem is that depression may not be the only issue in this situation. the person being discussed needs to see someone and get a proper diagnosis to what is actually going on with her. For all she knows, she could have another disorder. Bipolar etc.. Depression is linked to a different variety of mental illnesses and that is the reason why it is important to get a good GP and a very good diagnosis.

I only say this because I have struggled with depression since about 2003 and only this year I was diagnosed with Bipolar1. There are so many different avenues, its just finding the right issue at hand.
]

Well strangely enough i agree with you too. I also suffered ftom depression in the past, and also suffered with severe PTSD. My partner also has bi polar disorder, so im pretty up to date with this stuff.
I just hope she can learn to love herself again, and gave the proper support whilst doing it. Most of the SSRI'S out there can help, depending the doc finds the right ones. And hopefully the prescription will be a short one to help her find the way.
edit on 9/9/12 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I don't believe in that "You can't help or fix other people no matter how hard you try" stuff. I do understand you can only help other people if they're trying to help themselves, but to think that you can't make any difference to your friends and loved ones isn't true, because when I was going through the same thing, other people made a difference to me.

I also don't think anti-depressants work very well. When I was on them, at first it made me very monotone and blank, then after a couple months, it started making me see and hear things. Other people I knew on anti-depressants have either become really blank--lost their drive completely--or they experience the adverse scary part, the hallucinating. Along with that, I am kind of a believer in the "medication is brainwash" kind of things. I really think it has bad effects on the mind--and if you listen to the commercials, it has bad effects on the rest of you, too. I don't know much about anxiety medication, and I know my friend used to take them, and technically she's still supposed to be taking them... but I've only known her for about a year, and I didn't know her when she was on her meds, so I'm not sure if it helps her much or not.

She's not just seeking attention, she's got a serious problem... and thank you for all your perspectives, God bless

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join